Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Annual Memorial Game 2024

Does anyone know when the annual memorial game may happen ? A great neighbour and long serving Charlton supporter Roy Hughes passed away recently and his family are keen to know the dates at which he could be remembered at the valley. .

Comments

• edited August 2023
    Doing a quick search on memorial game threads on here, it looks like it's been early January in recent years, but until the club announce it we can't be certain one way or the other. Might be worth dropping a note to the fan liaison officers to ask if it's been pencilled in to the diary yet.
  • I emailed Lucy earlier today as I need the information before Xmas for John Richardson's family.
  • Oxford on the 1st or Peterborough on the 13th would be more than likely 
  • my guess would be Peterborough
  • Read elsewhere on this site it was January 13th Peterborough.
    Have e-mailed Charlton re this as I wanted a person added to the list.
    When I receive reply I will put answer up here.
  • Does anyone know what the process is to have a name added to the annual list? Forgotten what to do since my last request 10 years ago.
  • email info@cafc.co.uk
  • I emailed the fanadvisor@cafc.co.uk email address with a question on just this matter back in September and haven't heard a thing
  • Billy_Mix said:
    I emailed the fanadvisor@cafc.co.uk email address with a question on just this matter back in September and haven't heard a thing
    That’s poor
  • Read elsewhere on this site it was January 13th Peterborough.
    Have e-mailed Charlton re this as I wanted a person added to the list.
    When I receive reply I will put answer up here.
    Okay Charlton came back to me today. 

Memorial game January 13th 2024 against Peterborough Utd.

To get a name up on the Big Screen to be included on Memorial screen e-mail 

memorial@cafc.co.uk
    giving of course the persons name.
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't make The Valley this weekend but wondered if there was a kind soul on here who may video the names and send me a copy via WhatsApp or something?
  • Last year they put a clip up of it on the Official twitter feed IIRC.
  • I see from the TV programme (couldn't hear anything though as was on the concourse) that today's match is sponsored by Udens funeral directors. Nothing wrong with that at all, but from what I could see on the screen they had in  the background what looked like a neon sign that said something like Do It With Passion. Now I, like I suspect most of us, never want to have to deal with a funeral directors. If I did though the last thing I'd want is doing anything with passion. Far too reminiscent of Leroy Ambrose's necrophilia story.
  • Thanks @aliwibble
    Any chance of putting it on this site please.
  • I've not seen it online yet, but will do once I find it.
  • Thanks for your help. 
  • Any one having trouble reading the names on the screen
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:
    Any one having trouble reading the names on the screen
    I did, thought it was my eyesight. But if others did as well, I won’t bother to have my eyes tested.
  • So far all I've found is a photo of the relevant pages in the programme, which isn't especially clear - perhaps someone who bought it can put up better ones. Hopefully the video will be out tomorrow.

• JohnnyH2 said:
    Any one having trouble reading the names on the screen
    I always find it difficult to read anything put on the screen, always seems too small.
  • Always found it to be a larger fount after last years previously 
  • Anyone got a film of the names being shown on large screen I would be most grateful.

Thanks 
  • Benjamin Zephaniah?

Have I completely missed that he was a Charlton fan? 
    Saw the name come up on the screen yesterday and wondered 
  • I'm in touch with JohnfromNorfolk's widow and have purchased a copy of the matchday programme that I promised to send  her so that the family would have a keepsake of John's name on the screen at the Memorial game. 

I believe there's due to be a video of the names scrolling down on the OS or possibly YouTube that she would love to see. 

Does anyone have any further information regarding this, please ?
  • I'm in touch with JohnfromNorfolk's widow and have purchased a copy of the matchday programme that I promised to send  her so that the family would have a keepsake of John's name on the screen at the Memorial game. 

I believe there's due to be a video of the names scrolling down on the OS or possibly YouTube that she would love to see. 

Does anyone have any further information regarding this, please ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbp2IX1qPs4
  • edited January 15
    Now up on the club twitter feed, although the Charlton TV editor in their infinite wisdom didn't focus on the screen until near the end, so the Comms guys have had to do a picture in picture thing to show the whole list. Probably best watched on a laptop or large tablet rather than a phone.