Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watching Charlton TV from abroad

My colleague isn't a member on here, and he bought a pass for the Leyton Orient game.
He lives in Belgium, so theres n reason why he can't watch the game as far as I am aware.
He logged into his account as normal and was expecting to see Scotty Curbs and Brownie, but instead it said "Subscription required" underneath "view packages"

He couldn't access the game at all.

Any ideas what he was doing wrong, or if there was a glitch on Saturday?

Comments

• edited August 2023
    I think, long story short, that there are multiple ways to access the livestream and this may have caused problems. I had problems with the app, couldn't get access when navigating via website, but got it when I clicked link emailed to me (didn't do that first as I'd read that mobile devices would need to use the app).

Could be wrong re: your colleagues context, mind 

Am currently abroad, so no VPN etc
  • I think, long story short, that there are multiple ways to access the livestream and this may have caused problems. I had problems with the app, couldn't get access when navigating via website, but got it when I clicked link emailed to me (didn't do that first as I'd read that mobile devices would need to use the app).

Could be wrong re: your colleagues context, mind 

Am currently abroad, so no VPN etc
    Thanks for this. I bet he didn't keep the email. 
  • Not specific to the original question but just in case it helps others. I am out of the country on a walking holiday for a large part of September and don't want take my laptop in order to reduce weight for packing. For some reason I thought you couldn't stream the games from Charlton TV on an iPad but in fact you can. See response from the club below: 

Thanks for getting in touch.

Yes, you can. You can either use an internet browser – we recommend Google Chrome – or the Charlton App, which is available for free from Apple and Google App Stores.

Please make sure you are connected to WiFi when you try to access. This will ensure your device is recognised as overseas.

• Not specific to the original question but just in case it helps others. I am out of the country on a walking holiday for a large part of September and don't want take my laptop in order to reduce weight for packing. For some reason I thought you couldn't stream the games from Charlton TV on an iPad but in fact you can. See response from the club below: 

Thanks for getting in touch.

Yes, you can. You can either use an internet browser – we recommend Google Chrome – or the Charlton App, which is available for free from Apple and Google App Stores.

Please make sure you are connected to WiFi when you try to access. This will ensure your device is recognised as overseas.

I’ve always used my ipad to watch Charlton TV when abroad (and in the UK - of course only when its broadcast in the uk 😉)
  • Anyone else abroad no longer able to stream direct to tv? I had to watch via laptop last two games. Charlton Tv were clueless saying check your tv settings. I've three smart TVs of differing brands and it works on none. 
  • TEL said:
    Anyone else abroad no longer able to stream direct to tv? I had to watch via laptop last two games. Charlton Tv were clueless saying check your tv settings. I've three smart TVs of differing brands and it works on none. 
    Show off 🤓
  • TEL said:
    Anyone else abroad no longer able to stream direct to tv? I had to watch via laptop last two games. Charlton Tv were clueless saying check your tv settings. I've three smart TVs of differing brands and it works on none. 
    Been a problem in the uk on smart tv for the last three weeks.
  • I should add that my colleague has been using his laptop to stream the games.
    anyone abroad had trouble via the laptop/ home computer. 

• CafcSCP said:
    I should add that my colleague has been using his laptop to stream the games.

Is he using his work laptop? If its a work laptop for a UK based company then his IP address may be a UK one? Or potentially has he accidently bought the audio only pass instead of the international one?
  • CafcSCP said:
    I should add that my colleague has been using his laptop to stream the games.

Is he using his work laptop? If it’s a work laptop for a UK based company then his IP address may be a UK one? Or potentially has he accidently bought the audio only pass instead of the international one?
    It’s his personal laptop.
  • Sponsored links:

• SE9toDA2 said:
    TEL said:
    I've had no problems projecting to my TV for the pre-season games or when I popped over to the States to watch the game on Saturday.  I'm hoping that the owners living abroad might mean they retain all the features of Charlton TV.
  • Last season, I could put it on  my mobile and transfer the signal onto the smart TV, but this suddenly changed without warning in november. The laptop was fine though (generally took a couple of tries before the signal would go through mind9 and it's the same this season. As I'm not the smartest cookie when it comes down to all this hi tech stuff (I still don't know what a VPN is but it has prevented me watching stuff free on numerous occasions) I generally put it down to my own incompetence. 
    I will add that I bought a months subscription on saturday morning, and right up til the stream went online, it was telling me that I needed to pay to watch the content, but once the show started, so did the streaming service. I was just sad they didn't play the Addicks to Victory hymn at the end.
  • addickson said:
    SE9toDA2 said:
    TEL said:
    I've had no problems projecting to my TV for the pre-season games or when I popped over to the States to watch the game on Saturday.  I'm hoping that the owners living abroad might mean they retain all the features of Charlton TV.
    Yeah projecting to tv is ok or use hdmi cable. Issue is using web browser on a smart tv to access website.

• I had a subscription for the Aberdeen match for my son. We still got the messages about "Subscription required" and "view packages" though. When I clicked on a package it opened as I'd have expected. I think it might just be poor signposting on the site.
  • I was able to use my Samsung smart tv to watch the U21 game yesterday through it's internet. I changed the password to my account first as I had a login problem but I had only been able to watch U21 games on my computer, not tv directly this season. I pay monthly for CATV. I don't know if this will help watchers abroad but it may be worth trying again.
  • Will fans abroad not be able to watch our games anymore next season now Sky have got their hands on it?
  • Nicholas said:
    Will fans abroad not be able to watch our games anymore next season now Sky have got their hands on it?
    https://www.efl.com/news/2023/october/02/efl-issues-request-for-proposals--rfp--for-international-broadcast-rights/