Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD ; Charlton Athletic Vs Leyton Orient : Saturday 5th August 2023 : KO 3.00pm

Welcome back one and all, we go again on the merry go round of a new season, and today we
entertain Leyton Orient...lets hope for a positive start to an even more positive season...so here we go..

We are expected to line-up in a 3-5-2 with Lloyd Jones joining Ness and Thomas in a back three in front of Maynard-Brewer.

Nathan Asiimwe and Corey Blackett-Taylor are expected to operate as wing-backs with skipper George Dobson, Scott Fraser and Anderson in midfield behind a front two of May and Campbell.

The game comes too soon for Michael Hector, Panutche Camara, Tayo Edun and Terry Taylor, with the first three fit enough for the bench. They are joined by Harry Isted, Conor McGrandles, Jack Payne and Charlie Kirk.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Jones, Ness, Thomas; Asiimwe, Dobson (c), Anderson, Fraser; Blackett-Taylor; May, Campbell

Substitutes: Isted, Hector, Edun, Camará, McGrandles, Payne, Kirk

Good to see Edun at least making it to the bench...

Comments

• Options
    Exciting lineup. That said, our aerial threat from open play is essentially provided by Fraser and Anderson, so I'm expecting the ball on the deck and low crosses 
  • Options
    (I suppose when the ball is wide left Asiimwe will try to get in the box for a header too) 
  • Options
    Didn't expect that!

A very pacy line up though. Will be interesting to see how Orient can deal with that.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Leuth said:
    Exciting lineup. That said, our aerial threat from open play is essentially provided by Fraser and Anderson, so I'm expecting the ball on the deck and low crosses 
    Or through balls, killer passes and over the top get on your bike balls, if Orient defend with a high line.

• Options
    ? 4-3-3 with Thomas as left back?
  • Options
    Not sure what my thoughts are on that team?

I guess it’s good that the youngsters who have performed well in preseason are being given a go or is that more to do with a lack of fitness to the more senior players?
  • Options
    Also, is this, lack of a striker aside, our strongest bench in a good long while or what 
  • Options
    Attacking front line but no striker on the bench. 

Only 2 new signings start.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I believe I read Orient are fairly possession based in their style.

Our more pacy direct style could be really threatening on the counter.

• Options
    Hector had a stinker against Aberdeen but it does worry me not seeing him start.
  • Options
    Hector benched is interesting. 
  • Options
    4-3-3
    Oh yeh of little faith 
    May and CBT to score!
  • Options
    The Pig and Pratley both start for Orient

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Not sure what my thoughts are on that team?

I guess it’s good that the youngsters who have performed well in preseason are being given a go or is that more to do with a lack of fitness to the more senior players?
    Anderson... Yes... Asiimwe... No

Egbo just hasn't been preferred in Pre-Season so reckon Nathan is there on merit
  • Options
    Definitely 352

AMB
    Jones Ness Thomas
    Asiimwe Dobson Anderson Fraser Blackett-Taylor
    May Campbell
  • Options
    Hector punished for that Aberdeen performance ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    The Pig and Pratley both start for Orient

How come other teams sign players and a few days later they are fit enough to start
    Because other teams are signing players for today's matches ....... and we're signing players who still need a proper pre-season (!)

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Though 2 new signings on the bench.
    We may see either or both at some point.

No striker on the bench, not even Kanu ...... but rest assured, Golfie ...... Kirker the Shirker is there, aching to get on :)

He wont come on unless it stops raining

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

No striker on the bench, not even Kanu ...... but rest assured, Golfie ...... Kirker the Shirker is there, aching to get on :)

I think KANU could be going out on loan, not ITK
  • Options
    Surprised Camara not starting, but pleased for Karoy.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Oggy Red said:

I think KANU could be going out on loan, not ITK
    That would be good but only if we also get someone else in first.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    That is a lot of unfit and semi fit players to start a season with!!
    Too ture. Holden also said on Thursday Lloyd Jones not ready.

We will see.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!