Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Soldier, Scrapper, Addick - The Duff Bruce Story

Article from Saturday's pre-season friendly programme v Aberdeen on Duff Bruce by museum trustee Clive Harris.

Coincidentally, Bruce's granddaughter contacted the museum recently and we sent her a copy. 

We'll be contributing to the programme in various ways this year with articles, photographs and information plus we're deep into providing stats for this year's handbook

Comments

• Options
    He is not in my edition of the Valiant 500 - is that a mistake, or some other reason ?
  • Options
    Thanks Clive. A fascinating read.
  • Options
    Thanks Clive. A fascinating read.
    I can only echo that.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    He is not in my edition of the Valiant 500 - is that a mistake, or some other reason ?

He  never played in the first team as a professional when I asked @killerjerrylee
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

He  never played in the first team as a professional when I asked @killerjerrylee
    Ah !!!

I see - thanks 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Thanks for that Clive; a really interesting read on so many levels. Reminds us that, as Kipling observed in “ Tommy “, that not all war heroes were “ plaster saints “.
  • Options
    Think I'd have liked him 😉.
  • Options
    What a chap eh, great read 
  • Options
    Enjoyed reading that, thanks.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

He did play for us as a professional in season 1920-21 but that was in the Southern League. The year after, we gained admission into the Football League but he did not feature in the first team any more. Colin Cameron's book 'Valiant 500' and my new book, 'The Valiant 1000' only include players from 1921-22 onwards. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another museum trustee, Paul Baker, is working on the Charlton results, stats and players pre-1921.

The records for that period are not as clear or as easy to find but those pioneers are a vital part of our history.