Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic academy set to received extra financial injection after GFP takeover

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023
    A lot said but the proof will be in the eating of the pudding of course, otherwise it's all "piss and wind". Methane is a keen practitioner of that I suspect.

Early days and they are not putting a foot wrong so far.  Here's hoping!
  • Options
    Was all a bit vague and open to interpretation imo.
  • Options
    I don't think Cat 1 is realistic unless you're a PL or "big" Championship club, the costs are too great. 
  • Options
    Clear message from that is that Methvan doesn't think we need Cat 1 because "at Sunderland" (a phrase we are going to hear far too much) it didn't stop players being poached

But if we were Cat 1 it is harder for other Cat 1 sides to poach  our players and if they do they they have to pay more.

And while we recruit well that doesn't mean we don't lose out to Palace, West Ham etc who are Cat 1 and who can recruit from a younger age.

The most worrying part is that article is that it appears that Methvan has made the Cat 1 decision based on what supposedly happened "at Sunderland" (which is hotly disputed by Sunderland people).

Yet at the same time Methvan is telling us he and GFP won't interfere with the technical football side, clearly a contradiction.

What if Steve Avory feels Cat 1 is very desirable and Andy Scott agrees? Does "at Sunderland..." trump that?

PS extra money for the academy is to be welcomed although no figures are given and it seems more of "if it is needed" than a hard promise.

I agree it’s harder to poach, but ultimately young players will leave Charlton for the big boys, regardless of whether we are cat 1 or 2. Point taken about “at Sunderland”, but he’s not wrong, Sunderland were the only cat 1 team in the league and they still lost young players. You have to balance the extra costs involved to achieve and maintain cat 1 status with the benefits. Personally I don’t think a category 1 status is worthwhile in league 1, especially if those extra costs could be used to fund the first team. Excellent if you have the funds to do both, not so great if you don’t. But I appreciate my opinion isn’t shared by all. 
  • Options
    Methven
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Methven
    Tourets?
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Methven
    Tourets?
    Ven rather than van I think.

Recorded in several forms including Methven, Methuen, Meffan, and Meffen, this is an early Scottish surname. It is locational from an estate known as "The lands of Methven" in the county of Perthshire.

Read more: https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Methven#ixzz88pOyidTU
  • Options
    "if we were Cat 1 it is harder for other Cat 1 sides to poach our players"

In what way is it harder? Genuine question by the way as i don't know, and it seems like every other week i read that Man City, Chelsea or Man U have signed some other clubs best kid. 
  • Options
    "if we were Cat 1 it is harder for other Cat 1 sides to poach our players"

In what way is it harder? Genuine question by the way as i don't know, and it seems like every other week i read that Man City, Chelsea or Man U have signed some other clubs best kid. 
    Including each others, the Fletcher boys just left City for United for what is relatively peanuts. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's not harder per se, but it costs more, and there's less upside. If you move Cat 2 to Cat 1, you know it's an upgrade in facilities, management, coaching, conditioning etc. Moving from Cat 1 to Cat 1 will be more about preferences as theoretically the aforementioned will be roughly the same level.

FWIW this is no big deal, Cat 1 is hugely expensive and even more unsustainable for a club in League 1. Get promoted, then start worrying about stuff like this
  • Options
    I do not have a lot of knowledge re Cat 1 but isn't the Cat 1 ability to recruit youngsters from the entire UK a big advantage over Cat 2 where there is a geographical limit based on the club's location?

Of course it might be different in Sunderland :smiley:
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I do not have a lot of knowledge re Cat 1 but isn't the Cat 1 ability to recruit youngsters from the entire UK a big advantage over Cat 2 where there is a geographical limit based on the club's location?

Of course it might be different in Sunderland :smiley:
    But would this be more of an issue if we were unable to to recruit youngsters locally of sufficient ability?
    Surely, our standard of recruits are rarely found wanting and I can't see many youngsters from a fair distance away wanting to join Charlton in preference to a more local club, probably higher in the pyramid than us in any case.
  • Options
    The recruiting limits only differ for the U14-U16 ages groups. Cat 1 can recruit nationally, Cat 2 can’t.  U13 is local only for everyone. Above U16 is national for anyone.