Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• edited June 19
    Well atleast that's another million to spend on top of the other 1-2 we had for collins etc look forward to some top signings coming in after losing the leagues top scorer lol
  • Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Alfie will go on to do something after football. Lot of talk about his retirement, he's a nippy striker, who can play as a 10 at this level. He's probably got c5 years left at this level if he stays fit (never an issue).

Not many League 1 players have a skillset they can return to after Football. Alfie will be fine. 
    I'm glad, suppose thats one of the blessings of having a stint at non-league. i think i read he was a carpenter ?
    He was working as a builder for his brother's company.

His wife, Lauren, is a proper Yorkshire lass so it would make sense to go that way and be somewhere between Huddersfield and Doncaster.  They are an hour apart so it would be easy for him to commute and she is near her family up there - and with three young boys she could probably do with all the help she can get!  If he's on the move!
    It may make sense for Alfie but does it make sense for Charlton ? We lose £10 million a year at this level , if we don't go up next season then it will be another £10 million the season after that.
    If the rumoured ~£1m fee is correct, you have to calculate between the £1m vs. £8-10m - does Alfie May alone increase our chances of promotion by 10%+?
    don't forget that allegedly Cheltenham have a sell on clause which reduces CAFC's nett profit
  • If true this is a big kick in the gonads, and season defining.
  • Reading between the lines all I can see is Huddersfield made a bid ( which could have been anything ) turned down . Everything else at this point is pure speculation  unless I’m missing something.
  • edited June 19
    If true this is a big kick in the gonads, and season defining.
    Won’t bother playing the 46 games then..
  • If true this is a big kick in the gonads, and season defining.
    Won’t bother playing the 46 games then..
    We’d have to make some heck of a signings, to make up for this.

Im hoping this is all just panic and hysteria, par for the course, before the season starts.
  • Interested to know if this is Jones moving out a player he doesn’t think will fit as a starter in his land of giants 11, or whether May wants a last pay day. 
    Perhaps both but I can’t believe any manager would want to lose the league’s most prolific striker. 
  • A lot of rumours on Twitter that it’s a done deal, I just hope we sort a replacement first if that’s the case because I can’t be bothered to see the Charlton meltdown.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Alfie will go on to do something after football. Lot of talk about his retirement, he's a nippy striker, who can play as a 10 at this level. He's probably got c5 years left at this level if he stays fit (never an issue).

Not many League 1 players have a skillset they can return to after Football. Alfie will be fine. 
    I'm glad, suppose thats one of the blessings of having a stint at non-league. i think i read he was a carpenter ?

His wife, Lauren, is a proper Yorkshire lass so it would make sense to go that way and be somewhere between Huddersfield and Doncaster.  They are an hour apart so it would be easy for him to commute and she is near her family up there - and with three young boys she could probably do with all the help she can get!  If he's on the move!
    It may make sense for Alfie but does it make sense for Charlton ? We lose £10 million a year at this level , if we don't go up next season then it will be another £10 million the season after that.
    If the rumoured ~£1m fee is correct, you have to calculate between the £1m vs. £8-10m - does Alfie May alone increase our chances of promotion by 10%+?
    yes
  • Reading between the lines all I can see is Huddersfield made a bid ( which could have been anything ) turned down . Everything else at this point is pure speculation  unless I’m missing something.
    You are forgetting one other thing. Some people who have closer connections to the club than the average fan have also said he is probably going.

I think deep down most of us feel that he's quite likely to go.
  • Skipped a lot of pages but have seen the whole Alfie can’t play in a Jones style kind of comment: what is the Jones style? If it’s the high press and energy then I think he fits in. The other striker has to be the big man. It’s not like Alfie is bloody Gary Linekar and doesn’t move 
  • Positives::

20+ goal a year striker in this god forsaken division, last year more despite the team setuo favouring him, than because of it. 

Tries hard, presses hard, can score against league 1 defences for fun. 

Negatives:

Likes freedom, get the impression he likes the ability to control a game 

Jones thinks he should be controlling the game, with god on his side. 

Can see a fundamental clash there that may not be possible to resolve.  
  • What happens when we sell May and jones becomes wales manager before the season starts…? 
    I see the wales job is now going…..
  • What happens when we sell May and jones becomes wales manager before the season starts…? 
    This.

Don't think it will be Wales & I don't think it will be before the season starts, but put money on Jones not being here by the end of the season. 
    That's not much of a punt is it? I mean, when was the last time we finished a season with the same manager we started it with? Bowyer?
  • Positives::

20+ goal a year striker in this god forsaken division, last year more despite the team setuo favouring him, than because of it. 

Negatives:

put May in a more disciplined side where he’s not having to expend most of his energy covering the gaps left by everyone else and where more chances are being created and he will get 40+ goals this season. There’s no fundamental clash whatsoever.
    Only 4 players have ever reached 30 goals in league one and only one of them (Jordan Rhodes) got more than 31, but you think May can get over 40?
  • edited June 22
    Positives::

Negatives:

put May in a more disciplined side where he’s not having to expend most of his energy covering the gaps left by everyone else and where more chances are being created and he will get 40+ goals this season. There’s no fundamental clash whatsoever.
    Only 4 players have ever reached 30 goals in league one and only one of them (Jordan Rhodes) got more than 31, but you think May can get over 40?
    Forgive me for interrupting, but May staying has to be a given.

As sure as night follows day, come October, if May is sold, Jones and replacement forwards will be getting pelters if the results are not there.

• Sponsored links:

Don’t think you need to read between the lines, its literally what’s be written by Cawley!
  • Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Unquestionably.

• Hey, I don’t want to sell our best player. Just putting this out there, 
    It’s possible Alfie needs to be sold to enable us to bring in more players to cover fees and wages so PSR rules aren’t broken, the plan was to bring in younger players that can also play at a higher level.
    Time will tell I guess, how this all plays out…
    🤷🏻‍♂️
  • BigDiddy said:
    I’ve held back from getting a season ticket because i want to see if the club invest in a decent squad.

If they sell our only real goalscorer and thus weaken the squad, then i will not bother.

Exactly the same and I know a couple others in the same boat who's have pretty much said the same thing,I won't hold out much hope going by past promises and failures and the fact we seem to sell our best players and think doing it on the cheap is the way forward.
  • Redhenry said:

Hey, I don’t want to sell our best player. Just putting this out there, 
    It’s possible Alfie needs to be sold to enable us to bring in more players to cover fees and wages so PSR rules aren’t broken, the plan was to bring in younger players that can also play at a higher level.
    Time will tell I guess, how this all plays out…
    🤷🏻‍♂️
    You're having a laugh right
  • Steven81 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    I’ve held back from getting a season ticket because i want to see if the club invest in a decent squad.

If they sell our only real goalscorer and thus weaken the squad, then i will not bother.

Exactly the same and I know a couple others in the same boat who's have pretty much said the same thing,I won't hold out much hope going by past promises and failures and the fact we seem to sell our best players and think doing it on the cheap is the way forward.
    This is what I don’t understand. What past promises have these owners made that they haven’t delivered upon yet? This is only their second full window.

they haven’t done enough yet to be in credit, but they also haven’t done anything wrong as yet.

they also haven’t shown any indication that things will be done on the cheap
  • BigDiddy said:

You can’t blame people.

If you are in the undecided bracket then this would not push you in favour of purchasing one.

They have an opportunity this Thursday to set the record straight
  • I like May, his workrate is great, his goal return better but sometimes his touch is terrible. If we are offered 1.5 Million that can be used elsewhere then we would be mad to say no.