Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• edited September 2023
     _
  • Had a Builder round yesterday, helping me fix some issues inside the house, and outside it after another one had done a crap job.

He claims to be a Cousin of Alfie, possible as they both come from Gravesend etc. but was saying yesterday that Alfie is "only" on about £2.5k per week here.
    I think this is builder chat, so you end up asking if he's busy, to which he'll somehow fast track to the 'fact' he is and earns about £3k. More than May you know!
  • thenewbie said:
    mendonca said:
    We have 2 forwards to choose from when May is suspended for a game.

Let's not make too much of it. Just keep him away from the injury jinx.
    May, Kanu, Leaburn, Tedic. Even without Aneke (and both Campbells at a pinch) we SHOULD avoid being quite so short again unless something goes really horrendously wrong.
    We definitely feel much better resourced than this time last year when it felt like it was literally just stockley and a very raw leaburn 

quality in defence the problem now 
    A very raw Leaburn. Made me laugh.
    it’s sounds like an ailment.
    Whats the problem. I’ve got a very raw Leaburn Doctor.
  • edited September 2023
    thenewbie said:
    mendonca said:
    We have 2 forwards to choose from when May is suspended for a game.

Let's not make too much of it. Just keep him away from the injury jinx.
    May, Kanu, Leaburn, Tedic. Even without Aneke (and both Campbells at a pinch) we SHOULD avoid being quite so short again unless something goes really horrendously wrong.
    We definitely feel much better resourced than this time last year when it felt like it was literally just stockley and a very raw leaburn 

quality in defence the problem now 
    Agreed. Though I would say that while things look better up front in pure number-of-bodies terms the quality issue there is still too, May aside.

Leaburn is coming back and will need management, Kanu seems to have hit form but only a teenager and shouldn't be relied on for a whole season, Tedic is an unknown quality really.

Things are definitely better but our hypothetical new manager will need to manage the situation carefully.
  • Had a Builder round yesterday, helping me fix some issues inside the house, and outside it after another one had done a crap job.

He claims to be a Cousin of Alfie, possible as they both come from Gravesend etc. but was saying yesterday that Alfie is "only" on about £2.5k per week here.
    Doubt this is accurate but this site says the same:

https://salarysport.com/football/league-one/charlton-athletic/

Jones and Taylor are another two that must be on higher than this list says.
  • just gonna have to hope this season we score more than we let in, cause we never look like keeping a clean sheet

look pretty decent attacking wise now, wish I could say the same about the back 4
  • Sponsored links:

• he is off to a very decent start .. love the confidence with which he emphatically smacks away his penalties, very Mendoncaesque ,, keep it up Alfie
  • he is off to a very decent start .. love the confidence with which he emphatically smacks away his penalties, very Mendoncaesque ,, keep it up Alfie
    I'd disagree. Mendonca used to place his wide of the keeper, normally into the roof of the net, if I recall correctly but May, after missing two in pre season, has just decided to hit it as hard as he can down the middle and hope the power behind it is enough. I don't think they have been well taken at all.
  • Great job from Alfie to get in the Team of the Week

Same for a certain Centre-Back, who I wonder is happier back North

• To think he was compared to Simon Church on here. May has 4 League goal in 6 appearances for us, having scored 43 in 85 in the two previous seasons. Church had 5 in 55 for us. 
  • To think he was compared to Simon Church on here. May has 4 League goal in 6 appearances for us, having scored 43 in 85 in the two previous seasons. Church had 5 in 55 for us. 
    He has 49 games to get a goal, let the curse begin.
  • thenewbie said:
    Needs to cut out the needless bookings.
    Hopefully this will be another benefit of having Leaburn/Tedic to back him up - he won't have to be fighting for the ball so much.

I think he's already got as many bookings for us as he did all of last season. I can only presume its because of the frustration from the current situation.
    All the bookings are for dissent though.

That's just plain stupid, back-chatting his way to an early suspension.
  • Great job from Alfie to get in the Team of the Week

Same for a certain Centre-Back, who I wonder is happier back North

not to mention a certain striker 
  • Proper player.  Glad the worries after the first couple of games have evaporated.
  • That compilation video of all his goals for Cheltenham earlier on this thread demonstrated that he's not a one dimensional striker. He kept Cheltenham up last season and remains the last player to score for them, ironically against us, as in their 13 games this season, not one of their players in all competitions has found the net - that's over 20 hours of football. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    He's an excellent footballer who doesn't stop running. Makes you wonder how someone as limited as Washington has spent five seasons in the Championship and Alfie has never even played there. I'd take May over Conor any day. 

You can see how much he wants to win and he's always talking and geeing the other players up. Think he's future captain material if Dobbo goes. 
    Whilst I 100% agree I think Washington's physicality helped a bit. I'd have May every time though

• Izale McCleod had fantastic figures for MK dons and was absolute dogshit as was Andy Gray hope I am wrong but I have followed his career from dot and do not rate him.Ajose had good figures from elsewhere and was the same, I hope I am wrong but Alfie May will do diddly for us.
    aging well this
  • Swisdom said:
    Pretty sure I called it in the summer - he's got Washington's work ethic but he also has a better brain and finishing ability.  Love the guy
    I agree. He is Washington's replacement albeit a year later.

Last night he proved he has a lot more to his game than scoring. 
  • Now joint 4th top scorer after last night’s brace

- Devante Cole (Barnsley): 9
    - Jamie Reid (Stevenage): 8
    - Dion Charles (Bolton): 7
    - Alfie May: 6

Bishop (Pompey), Waghorn (Derby) and Wyke (Wigan) also on 6.
    Jamie Reid is a really strange one, 29 never really scored many above the national league before this season.  His finish against us was brilliant.

The rest are mainly the usual suspects.
  • We have him for 3 seasons. We are so lucky. 

I would even start a discussion to extend it further. He may be 30 and a pace is a big part of his play but his contract will be up when he is 33. I don't see him slowing down drastically in that time and when you look at his form over the last few years he's actually improving as a player. 

Can see him playing well into his 30s in league football if he can stay injury free 

• What impressed me last night was his anticipation. For his first goal he started his run up from outside the penalty area so when when Aneke hit the ball, May was already motoring towards the goal to be first to any rebound. Similarly for his second he was already looking for any rebound before it happened.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Now joint 4th top scorer after last night’s brace

- Devante Cole (Barnsley): 9
    - Jamie Reid (Stevenage): 8
    - Dion Charles (Bolton): 7
    - Alfie May: 6

Bishop (Pompey), Waghorn (Derby) and Wyke (Wigan) also on 6.
    Jamie Reid is a really strange one, 29 never really scored many above the national league before this season.  His finish against us was brilliant.

The rest are mainly the usual suspects.
    Not sure I'd call Devante Cole one of the usual suspects. He got 15 last season but that was very much an outlier and Barnsley fans were very surprised. I'm surprised myself that he's continued it so far