Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heart Disease/Issues?

Just wondering if anyone on here is or has experienced any issues around their heart?

There's a history of heart disease in my family, my grandad and my father.

About 2 years ago I had a stent fitted because I'd been experiencing pain in and around my heart. I can't remember how effective or not it has been, because I'm also now on the usual medication and maybe that has masked it, dunno?

The pain has come back, sometimes its constant and at the moment intermittent, its not specifically painful, I'm just aware of it being present.

I've had further tests that have all come back normal and I'm now being sent for a scan, no idea when that'll be as the waiting list is long but I'm assuming that if I have pain something must be causing it?

Interested to hear any lifers experiences that could be helpful or the opposite worrying;)

BTW I'm 68, keep it to yourself though.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023
    My partner called down the stairs to me this morning as I was about to leave to go to work to say she felt "ill".  When I asked her about symptoms she said she had been feeling chest pain and pain around her neck and shoulders all night and now was feeling nauseous.  She has had angina for around 10 years and recently has been very tired.  I called 999 immediately and she is hospital now.  I've spent all day with her in ED and she is now going up to a ward.  They haven't identified what exactly happened - they are calling it an "event" but not heart failure.  An x ray has now revealed that ALL of the arteries around the heart are clogged.  My neighbour who loves to tell a horror story reckons the waiting list for major bypass surgery is a year or more.  

I am fucking terrified.

I'm also furious that she left it til this morning to  tell me.
  • Options
    Don't wait.
    Different circumstances I know but I had a heart attack in 2018 and sat there until it calmed down. I am now living with heart failure as my heart is working at around 40%
    For the previous year I had had loads of tests as I felt something wasn't right and they all came back as normal. 
    I have since heard the doctors' mantra of "Time is muscle".
    I wish every day that I had called 999 straight away...
  • Options
    My partner called down the stairs to me this morning as I was about to leave to go to work to say she felt "ill".  When I asked her about symptoms she said she had been feeling chest pain and pain around her neck and shoulders all night and now was feeling nauseous.  She has had angina for around 10 years and recently has been very tired.  I called 999 immediately and she is hospital now.  I've spent all day with her in ED and she is now going up to a ward.  They haven't identified what exactly happened - they are calling it an "event" but not heart failure.  An x ray has now revealed that ALL of the arteries around the heart are clogged.  My neighbour who loves to tell a horror story reckons the waiting list for major bypass surgery is a year or more.  

I am fucking terrified.

My daughters father in law had chest pain and after attending ED was told he needed a stent which was fitted 24 hours later. Hopefully if your wife requires surgery it will hopefully happen pdq. Best wishes to you both.
  • Options
    And if she's a reader, get her a copy of Bob Mortimer's autobiography 'And Away...'
    It's very readable and spends a good deal of time discussing his own heart diagnosis, operation and recovery in a very real way.
    I also recommend the bhf website for all the background and medical details you could want.
  • Options
    I'm on beta blockers for an undiagnosed heart condition. No real clue what's going on, waiting for a doctor to explain it. Pretty sure it's COVID related. Get chest pains and shortness of breath but all the tests have come out okay. Beta blockers make my toes really cold though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just wondering if anyone on here is or has experienced any issues around their heart?

About 2 years ago I had a stent fitted because I'd been experiencing pain in and around my heart. I can't remember how effective or not it has been, because I'm also now on the usual medication and maybe that has masked it, dunno?

The pain has come back, sometimes its constant and at the moment intermittent, its not specifically painful, I'm just aware of it being present.

I've had further tests that have all come back normal and I'm now being sent for a scan, no idea when that'll be as the waiting list is long but I'm assuming that if I have pain something must be causing it?

Interested to hear any lifers experiences that could be helpful or the opposite worrying;)

Did you have just one stent fitted? I'm no doctor but is it possible a second artery to the heart is starting to become clogged? Mind you I'd expect that to show up easily on a scan or an ECG.

I think once you've had treatment for heart problems you're likely always to have to take medication, whether it's low dose aspirin, blood thinners, statins etc, but I doubt they've given you painkillers so they won't be masking anything.
    I agree with @cafcfan, don't wait and push them for a diagnosis soonest.

• Options
    Yes, only one stent fitted at  @idlehans I think I remember at the time of fitting, there was consideration of another artery that was showing signs of needing attention but not something that needed to be done then and there. Although one may ask if they were already putting one stent in, why didn’t they do the other at the same time, cost?

Thanks to everyone whose responded and thanks for the suggestions.

I suppose I’m inclined to trust the medical people but as some of you have alluded to, that something could be missed and perhaps I should press them a bit more urgently. I will call 111.
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:
    Hi 

I had  a bypass 4 years ago - Jan 2019 I was getting breathless when walking and that caused a pain round my chest - once I stopped and got my breathe back - felt great - but was masking the obvious - be and my family made me get an appointment 

My appointment at Kim’s diagnosed my aorta was 87% blocked and Kim’s had me blue lighted immediately - admitted me to St Thomas and I was operated on 3 days later - it saved my Life and I actually recovered to be at the Sunderland play off 😃

Operated in Jan 2109 back to work in April and touch wood all is well - and took advantage of all the rehab and advice possible 

please get an appointment and get yourself sorted don’t wait  owe my life to wife and daughter nagging me to get sorted 

Always contactable for a chat if you wanna know more 

good luck 

Denis

66 years old now was 61 when all happened 

Glad you're back on track.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Did you have just one stent fitted? I'm no doctor but is it possible a second artery to the heart is starting to become clogged? Mind you I'd expect that to show up easily on a scan or an ECG.

I think once you've had treatment for heart problems you're likely always to have to take medication, whether it's low dose aspirin, blood thinners, statins etc, but I doubt they've given you painkillers so they won't be masking anything.

I'm on the three you mention, they are for life and fortunately I have no problems taking tablets, some people do.
  • Options
    Sounds like Charlton Life could run a "who has the best chest scar competition" Seems like a few of us have them.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    I’d just turned 60 when I had prostate surgery. All went well and I was in and out within a day. However, the anaesthetic put my heart into atrial fibrillation.  During the night, I was getting alerts on my Apple Watch that my heart rate was 165 bpm and it wasn’t coming down. Thing is, I didn’t feel unwell and I didn’t have any symptoms. 

Thinking I was going to be alright, I left it until my partner came home and she insisted I phone 111. They told me to present to A&E straight away and when I got there they put me straight into re-sus. Long story short, they couldn’t get the heart rate down for a week and I was in the heart ward at Darent Valley under 24hour observation. What they did was a cardioversion when they stopped the heart and restarted it. That did the trick and they sent me home with blood thinners and beta blockers.

Fast forward to September 2022, the same thing happened when I was doing the gardening. Week in Darent Valley except this time the drugs worked. But what it left me with was a flutter. My heart would jump as high as 170 bpm and drop down to 35 bpm. I could feel the heart rate drop. Strange feeling.

A couple of weeks ago, I went up to Kings to have a catheter ablation. An ablation is where they go into the heart through a vein in the groin and burn off blood vessels and create a new electrical circuit to make the heart beat in Sinus. It was all done under local anaesthetic, I was wide awake and I watched the procedure on the big screen. In theatre at 9:30, discharged at 3pm. Home by 5pm. The missus wasn't happy that I came home on the train.

I feel like a new man.

Edit: The Apple Watch save my life on two occasions. If I hadn’t have had the alerts, I would have carried on as normal and my heart would have just stopped. AF is known as the silent killer.
    Coming home on the train?
    Proper Charlton!

Hoping your latest treatment keeps on working for you.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Sounds like Charlton Life could run a "who has the best chest scar competition" Seems like a few of us have them.
    Not to forget the Leg where they found the 
    much needed or arm 😀
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Kap10 said:
    Mine's 9 inches long. And I've never been able to make that boast before!
    Show off only a 8 inches here

but 14 inches on my leg work of art 😀
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    IdleHans said:

I'm on the three you mention, they are for life and fortunately I have no problems taking tablets, some people do.
    I am able to lead a completely normal life ten years on from my heart attack thanks to the pills. A statin, a blood thinner, an anti-coagulent and a beta blocker. 

As Elfsborg says, keep taking the tablets... 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I am able to lead a completely normal life ten years on from my heart attack thanks to the pills. A statin, a blood thinner, an anti-coagulent and a beta blocker. 

The worst thing now is if I cut myself, even a small scratch, I bleed like a bugger for ages. Shave very carefully and keep plenty of plasters around the house.

• Options
    I phoned 111 this morning and they suggested I follow the advice I was given by the hospital re having the echocardiogram and wait for the appointment. With the proviso of going to A&E should it get much worse.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    IdleHans said:

The worst thing now is if I cut myself, even a small scratch, I bleed like a bugger for ages. Shave very carefully and keep plenty of plasters around the house.

My wife’s the same, her arms are covered in what resemble birth marks where she plays with the dogs and gets bumped, not forgetting not a day goes by without her bumping into something or cutting herself. 

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    IdleHans said:

I have a good old fashioned ‘styptic’ pencil for when I nick myself shaving…..works a treat and available from any chemists.
  • Options

I am fucking terrified.

That's horrific mate. I hope the initial prognosis isn't as serious. My thoughts are with you. 
  • Options
    I had a fluttering feeling in my chest back in 2017. Got myself referred to a Cardiologist. She did the ecg and initially said she thought I looked healthy but would do a stress test in a year. I asked if we could do it sooner and she seemed a bit surprised but agreed and I had one 4 weeks later. When we looked at the results, she looked at me and said, I should listen to my patients more often, you're right I'm sending you for an angiogram. 
    Needless to say the results came back that all three major arteries were calcified. My blood pressure was high so she said cut all salt out of your diet and I'm sure it will improve... which it did after just three months. She put me on Statins and the cholesterol dropped from 6.1 to 3.4. 
    I've been taking an aspirin for many years and another tablet occasionally that ensures the aspirin doesn't do any damage.
    I did an experiment last year and stopped taking the statin for three months. The cholesterol rose to 5. So I resumed but in a different tablet as I had been betting cramps with Rosuvasttin. Been fine since. Yearly stress test, lost of blood tests and changed my diet drastically. Another Angiogram next year is on the cards as she did say if things got worse stents were out of the question and it would be heart bypass. 
    Fortunately over here, you can get seen pretty much immediately, but hopefully I won't need to call upon her surgical skills just yet. 

I think the moral here is if things don't seem quite right, don't delay, get seen to quickly. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    It’s kind of strange that as you get older you don’t realise or want to realise that these minor squeaks and pains can be serious. It only happens to other people. I put some chest pains down to changing my type of pillow (a memory pillow). But I was concerned as I’ve never had that type of feeling before. My doctor arranged urgently an ECG and results are instantly wired to a cardiologist for immediate diagnosis. All is well, we’ll kind off. A few days later my doc phoned me to say that further analysis of the ECG showed an inconsistent murmuring. As I was about to go on holiday he said that I should have a good travel insurance and should I feel any discomfort to go immediately to a hospital to get checked out. That advice, although sound, made me feel ill at ease. I return soon to Blighty and im sure my doctor will call me in for a check up. 
  • Options
    Heart attack ten years ago aged 48. All inherited heart disease related. I now have a total of five stents (3 separate procedures) and on a specialist statin plus fortnightly injections for my cholesterol and blood conditioners for my clotting issue.  It’s all under control. Echoing others’ advice - don’t hang about!!!   The stenting procedure is unpleasant because you are awake during it but it’s essentially a bit of plumbing. Better that than the alternative.