Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 10th August 1968. Charlton 3 Millwall 4

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
10th August 1968 Charlton Athletic 3 (1) (Peacock 2, Treacy 49, Gregory 75) Millwall 4 (2) (Conlon 13, Possee 30, 51, Weller 48). The Valley att: 26,912.

Charlton: Wright, Curtis, Burkett, Campbell, Went, Reeves, Hince, Tees, Treacy, Gregory, Peacock. Unused sub: Kinsey.

Millwall: King, Gilchrist, Cripps, Jones, Kitchener, Burnett, Possee, Weller (Dunphy 83), Conlon, Jacks, Neil.

Referee: L Callaghan (Merthyr Tydfil)

Admission prices for this season: Terrace Adults 5/- (25p) Children 2/- (10p). Season ticket was £4 4shillings (£4.20 for you young 'uns)

I have typed up the actuall newspaper cutting from The Sunday Express (I think) below. How writing styles and phrases have changed! (and no the official attendance didn't match the report!)

CHARLTON GO DOWN IN 7-GOAL THRILLER

By Sydney Spicer

Charlton 3 Millwall 4

Seven goals and twice as many near misses spelled out rollicking entertainment for 27,504 fans at Charlton, where spills and bruising tackles were frequent but mostly given and taken without rancour.
The first goal came in just over two minutes when Matt Tees headed goalwards a free kick by Gregory and Peacock volleyed the ball into the net.
Millwalls attack first came into the picture with a 14th minute equaliser when, because of slack defence, Billy McNeil’s cross was headed home by Bryan Conlon.
From a corner, Possee, unchallenged, was allowed to glance Weller’s swerving kick into the far corner of the net to put Millwall in the lead.
The second half opened with swift and dramatic attack and counter attack and brought three goals in five minutes.
When Burnett slipped the ball back into Weller’s path, the Millwall forward hit it first time into the top corner of the net. A minute later, Ray Tracey ran in Charlton’s second goal after Tees had breasted down Bob Curtis’s free kick.
Then a Wellar corner was headed down by Barry Kitchener and Possee swept in his sides fourth.
When it seemed that Charlton had shot there bolt, Burnett set up the finest move in the match. He worked through and made a perfect pass to Possee. The Millwall winger smartly beat his man and aimed a shot which had Charlie Wright hopelessly beaten, but Curtis appeared from nowhere to head clear.
After Gregory had headed home a goal for Charlton, Weller was carried off with a strained ankle and Eamon Dunphy substituted.

Comments

• Options
    I was there! First match of the season played in hot summer sunshine in front of, compared to when we played Bristol City or Blackburn, a huge shirt sleeved crowd.

Almost right from the start, we were ahead and the game just fizzed along end to end with chances for both sides before Millwall levelled. The sun beat down yet there was no let up in the pace of the game. In those days, this was THE local derby, after a sequence of 0-0 draws, played in hugely competitive spirit.

We might have lost, but both teams had played a cracking game of football.

The next match, if I remember was a midweek night 3-2 win at Bury (I might be wrong - long time ago now) and we were on our way to a brilliant season, only just missing promotion to......Palace, promoted along with Brian Clough's Derby County champions skippered by the legendary Dave Mackay.

Though we did knock Palace out of the FA Cup at Sh!thurst before getting knocked out by Arsenal in a tight game at Highbury in front of 55,000.

Sorry, I got carried away....(!)
  • Options
    great reading guys
  • Options
    I'm sure I've still got the programme (6d = 2.5p) somewhere. And my old scrap book full of newspaper cuttings.
    I'll have to look for it one day.

I was only a kid then but, Jeez, almost 40 years ago. Scary that life goes so quickly........
  • Options
    I seem to remember that the same fixtures in the preceding seasons finsihed 0-0, this score was a big surprise.
  • Options
    Spot on oggy,remember this well, was taken and went with my 2 uncles, 1 millwall and 1 charlton, good sized crowd and what a game,was the same season we beat derby 2-0 matt tees and ray tracey scored,this was a great game and really good atmosphere,Derby went on to win the league,we also got beat twice by Millwall and ended up 3rd behind Derby and Palace,an epic season AND So dissapointing with tons of goals and some great crowds.
    Pretty sure it was sixpence for a programme and 2 bob to get in.
    Bury away we won Harry Gregory pen and Bob Curtis... in the last minute big Bob.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

I was only a kid then but, Jeez, almost 40 years ago. Scary that life goes so quickly........

As my mum would say 'It's later than you think'. Only seems like yesterday that I was celebrating my 21st. I'll be 48 this year. Indeed, it's very scary.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]

As my mum would say 'It's later than you think'. Only seems like yesterday that I was celebrating my 21st. I'll be 48 this year. Indeed, it's very scary.

48, ValleyMac? You're just a mere stripling of a lad. ;-)

I was 52 in May - but it didn't stop me playing at The Valley for Charlton Unathletic v Pardews Porkers!
    Were you playing/there?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]I seem to remember that the same fixtures in the preceding seasons finsihed 0-0, this score was a big surprise.

Alex, there had been a sequence of three or four 0-0 draws but broken in January 68 when we beat Millwall 1-0 at The Valley with a great Alan Campbell effort, in front of a nearly 30,000 crowd.

It was a dreary grey day and a dreary dull match. One newspaper report described it 'as having all the fascination of watching workman dig the road.'

Maybe you remember that one too?

But we still beat them that time - about the only victory over Millwall during 20 years or more.
    Of all the teams we would have loved to beat, Millwall were certainly our jinx side then.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]

48, ValleyMac? You're just a mere stripling of a lad. ;-)

I was 52 in May - but it didn't stop me playing at The Valley for Charlton Unathletic v Pardews Porkers!
    Were you playing/there?

Oggy...No I couldn't make it. I had other commitments that day. Mind you, no amount of tea in China would have got me playing in that match seeing as I can barely walk let alone run. It's the injuries, you see. Old war wound etc
  • Options
    the first match i attended as a season ticket holder...30 bob and a bargain even in those days...i remember coming out and saying to my mates that it was only the first game and we still had a potential 82 points still to play for (2 points a win in those days)...and how prophetic those words turned out to be...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1969, the year we took the North Bank.
  • Options
    and a classic for the oldies.......
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Oh dear. It's reminded me how miserable I felt after this game. It might have been exciting if you supported Millwall or were a neutral, but the walk up Floyd Road, Church Lane and Wellington Gardens towards my home seemed like walking up a mountain as I dragged my feet along. I can remember my mother saying as I got home "sounds like a good game" as I told her the score. I think I grunted unintelligibly.
  • Options

the first match i attended as a season ticket holder...30 bob and a bargain even in those days...i remember coming out and saying to my mates that it was only the first game and we still had a potential 82 points still to play for (2 points a win in those days)...and how prophetic those words turned out to be...

One thing that's struck me about that day is that there was a little mob of us, charlton and millwall, that went to the game together and we would have been between 10 an 12 years old...I cant remember the last time I saw a bunch if young kids going to a match on their own...oh, for those that don't know, 30 bob is £1.50
  • Options

One thing that's struck me about that day is that there was a little mob of us, charlton and millwall, that went to the game together and we would have been between 10 an 12 years old...I cant remember the last time I saw a bunch if young kids going to a match on their own...

Stopped going with my Uncle and started going with a handful of school mates in 1964 as a 10 year old, although sadly I wasn't at this game.
    Mum used to give us 5 bob - as I recall that was 2 bob to get in; 1/6d return train from Abbey Wood; tanner for a programme; six a bag of nuts and sixpence spare for crisps/Lemonade whatever!
    Seems crazy now, I would never have let my Son go at that age.
    Used to go to the Den too, usually scared the freaking shite out of me!
  • Options
    This was only my second game at Charlton but the one where it really got into my blood as an impressionable 10 year old. There had been a big build up to the game locally, especially as local derby and the first of the season. To my untutored eye, it was a wonderful spectacle of colour and noise. Oddly enough, I watched it from the very front of the old south terrace, by the old red railings. I don't think there was much segregation in those days.

I then went to the home game against Birmingham, which we won 3-1 (including a Keith Peacock header, and that was it. Happy days.
  • Options
    We were on holiday at a caravan site in Kent.The evening paper came round about 6 o'clock that evening. It had a picture of Keith Peacock, remarking that he had scored the first goal of the new season. I was annoyed at the result so I must have been a Charlton supporter by then.
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/8592697730

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I was there for this one .. an era where we NEVER seemed to beat Millwall or Palace .. 2 classic line ups .. those 22/23 seemed to turn out week after week for most of the time from about 1967 to 1969 .. and if memory serves, there was little or no crowd segregation, though the police would ask who you supported and point out a spot in a half hearted attempt.
  • Options
    I was at this game. My recollection is that a lot of people felt the crowd was nearer 40000. In those days the crowd would snigger when the attendance was read out always assuming some cash had slipped through the '. no tax' net. At this game we were packed in to the Valley like sardines.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I was there! First match of the season played in hot summer sunshine in front of, compared to when we played Bristol City or Blackburn, a huge shirt sleeved crowd.

Almost right from the start, we were ahead and the game just fizzed along end to end with chances for both sides before Millwall levelled. The sun beat down yet there was no let up in the pace of the game. In those days, this was THE local derby, after a sequence of 0-0 draws, played in hugely competitive spirit.

We might have lost, but both teams had played a cracking game of football.

The next match, if I remember was a midweek night 3-2 win at Bury (I might be wrong - long time ago now) and we were on our way to a brilliant season, only just missing promotion to......Palace, promoted along with Brian Clough's Derby County champions skippered by the legendary Dave Mackay.

Though we did knock Palace out of the FA Cup at Sh!thurst before getting knocked out by Arsenal in a tight game at Highbury in front of 55,000.

Sorry, I got carried away....(!)

Good stuff. A blast from the past @Oggy Red
  • Options
    I remember this game well. It was at the start of one of my favourite seasons. I used to travel to every away game back then.
  • Options

I remember this game well. It was at the start of one of my favourite seasons. I used to travel to every away game back then.

I bet you predicted we'd win 4-0

:smile:

• Options
    Remember getting in just after Peacock had scored.Great season but too many home draws cost us -only lost twice at home the other being Preston on the last game of the season when I think we missed two pens.Some great games that season including Arsenal and Palarse cup ties.Remember beating Cardiff 4-1 after being 4 up by half time and then beating Middlesbrough at home I think the next day 2nil over Easter -Happy days
  • Options
    I was there, and it was the first time I saw the new terrace skinhead uniform, Herrington (?) jackets in black or blue with the three colour trim, cherry reds, Ben Shermans. There wasn't segregation because i can remember being in the Covered End, turning round and seeing my Spanner classmate in with a large mob of of them who were right behind the goal.

It did turn out to be a great season, as @Oggy Red said, the season I started going regularly on my own with mates, including away games.
  • Options

I was there, and it was the first time I saw the new terrace skinhead uniform, Herrington (?) jackets in black or blue with the three colour trim, cherry reds, Ben Shermans. There wasn't segregation because i can remember being in the Covered End, turning round and seeing my Spanner classmate in with a large mob of of them who were right behind the goal.

It did turn out to be a great season, as @Oggy Red said, the season I started going regularly on my own with mates, including away games.

Harrington jacket, named after Ryan O’Neil’s character Rodney Harrington in the tv series peyton Place. Barracuta had been making them since the 1930s I think. Other famous people to wear one were Elvis, Frank Sinatra and Steve McQueen. I still do. Definitely stylish but the barracuta ones will set you back a couple of hundred for the versions that were basically copied back then.
  • Options

Harrington!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I was there with my older brother. The bus from Welling broke down at the top of Shooters Hill so we walked from there and as a consequence we missed the opening goal. Conlan's equaliser for them was a great diving header. End to end stuff and a great atmosphere.

After this game we went on a 10 game unbeaten run and went top of the league. Promotion to the top division seemed not only possible that year but probable especially after we had beaten Derby in January. As others have said, too many draws scuppered us in the end. Anyway, throw in knocking Palace out of the cup and a 4th round tie at Highbury in front of nearly 60,000, it was a memorable season.
  • Options

Remember getting in just after Peacock had scored.Great season but too many home draws cost us -only lost twice at home the other being Preston on the last game of the season when I think we missed two pens.Some great games that season including Arsenal and Palarse cup ties.Remember beating Cardiff 4-1 after being 4 up by half time and then beating Middlesbrough at home I think the next day 2nil over Easter -Happy days

I remember your haircut back then.
    Almost as bad as mine
  • Options
    Remember this game so well ..i was due to start senior school in 2 weeks time but the following Friday I had a bad accident playing cricket in the street ..36 stitches later ...school was delayed for a couple of weeks as was my cafc support...i think the next home game was Bristol city my pals got me the programme ...what a season though ray treacy was my hero then