Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

That Titanic submersible

Comments

• JohnBoyUK said:
    I'm claustrophobic and have enough difficulty coping with having a MRI scan in an OPEN scanner, let alone go in a small sub sealed from the outside, that far down.
    Like everyone else, feel desperately sorry for the 5 trapped but jeez, £200k+ each?  More money than bloody sense.

Snap mate. The bloke tells me to look out the end and I just about make it through
  • CafcWest said:
    The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is battery life.  Surely they will be out of power soon so can't communicate anyway.
    I’m sure battery life is an issue but not really in terms of communication. Submerged underwater vessels are unable to use radio to communicate. Deeply submerged submarines deploy communications buoys to the surface. At 3600 metres depth I doubt this particular submersible has that facility. They are most likely restricted to rhythmic tapping to enable location by sonar. 
  • The "Where do I sign?" was such a smug 'aren't I edgy and cool?' moment.

Pride comes before a fall I guess.

Hope they're rescued but I can't see it happening sadly.  
  • Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Hope they're found safe and well but echo the questioning of such activities.
    You can say that again!
  • LTKapal said:
    Gribbo said:
    Not sure if there's an obvious reason why they haven't, but surely they should've had some sort of device that gives off a rough, or even exact location? If the Canadian Navy can detect banging underwater, would've thought purpose made transmitters / receivers would go somewhere near making it possible? Reckon going off into the abyss, completely untraceable is another huge question mark
    If you read into it, from an engineering perspective it was a disaster waiting to happen, they haven’t really got any fail safe systems like electromagnetically deployable ballasts in case of power failure, they can’t even open the hatch from the inside, they could be in the surface unable to escape.
    if they do rescue them, CEO should be taken to court.

edit: some quotes from an engineer fired for raising safety concerns whilst working for the company in 2019

“It was highlighted that Titan’s forward viewport only certified it to a depth of 1,300 metres.”
    For reference, The Titanic wreck lies 3,800 metres below the ocean surface.
    Isn't the CEO down there with them?
    Apparently so.

Can you imagine being stuck in a tin can slowly running out of air with four other people who you charged to be there?
  • Those people must be terrified. Hope this ends well. 
    Or maybe they didn’t have much time to be terrified?
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I'm claustrophobic and have enough difficulty coping with having a MRI scan in an OPEN scanner, let alone go in a small sub sealed from the outside, that far down.
    Like everyone else, feel desperately sorry for the 5 trapped but jeez, £200k+ each?  More money than bloody sense.

Yeah I am like you. I am okay as long as I can get out within 5-10 seconds. Any longer than that and I am freaking out. Just looking at that sub makes my heart race. 

But for what it's worth, if you bought a newspaper and a coffee this morning, you spent more of your personal wealth there than the billionaires spent of theirs on that submersible trip. 
    Your last sentence sums it up perfectly. 
    Although 200k sounds a ridiculous amount of money to us ordinary people it's barely one weeks wage foe a top footballer. 
    As for the people paying on this trip its little more than loose change. 
  • This gives me shudders as being a big lad I find confined spaces freak me out! (Also why I fell in love with the old  Valley...)

I am praying for good news on this.
  • CafcWest said:
    The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is battery life.  Surely they will be out of power soon so can't communicate anyway.
    They lost the ability to communicate with the surface after an hour and forty five minutes
  • Chizz said:
    CafcWest said:
    They lost the ability to communicate with the surface after an hour and forty five minutes
    Low frequency radio waves do travel through water but not very far. Even low frequency waves don’t move through water very well and the deeper you go the worse it gets. I’m guessing that the submersible has a transmission buoy for a certain depth but not at 3600 metres. They are completely incommunicado apart from banging against the steel hull. Scary stuff.
  • LTKapal said:
    Gribbo said:
    Not sure if there's an obvious reason why they haven't, but surely they should've had some sort of device that gives off a rough, or even exact location? If the Canadian Navy can detect banging underwater, would've thought purpose made transmitters / receivers would go somewhere near making it possible? Reckon going off into the abyss, completely untraceable is another huge question mark
    If you read into it, from an engineering perspective it was a disaster waiting to happen, they haven’t really got any fail safe systems like electromagnetically deployable ballasts in case of power failure, they can’t even open the hatch from the inside, they could be in the surface unable to escape.
    if they do rescue them, CEO should be taken to court.

edit: some quotes from an engineer fired for raising safety concerns whilst working for the company in 2019

“It was highlighted that Titan’s forward viewport only certified it to a depth of 1,300 metres.”
    For reference, The Titanic wreck lies 3,800 metres below the ocean surface.
    Isn't the CEO down there with them?
    No he is on his way now.

• Not a lot of regulation needed if you're operating in the middle of the sea in international waters I guess - no one country would have jurisdiction. Not sure that "disclaimer" would stand up in court to a charge of gross negligence, or similar, but hope it doesn't come to that.
  • What a frightening predicament to find oneself in! I often question some things that adrenaline junkies get up to for kicks, putting themselves in danger, but nothing like this. Whoever the customers, and whatever their motivations, I'm hoping and praying for a successful outcome/rescue.

I shudder to imagine what they must be going through down there entombed in that contraption tapping desperately for help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:
    Not sure I agree with those about having loads of money and taking such a risk. I’ve certainly and intentionally put myself at risk either scuba diving, bunjee jumping, parachute jump, zip lining, skiing etc etc plus in airplanes, helicopters, submarine, hot air balloon all of which could have ended badly. It’s what being adventurous is about. How many times has this submersible dived down to the titanic without incident? 
    If I had known they did tourist trips I would have considered it. Unfortunately I am not fit enough to climb Everest but again I would have had it on my bucket list. 
    These people know the risk and took a chance on a life tîme experience. They should be applauded. Unfortunately not all things go to plan and they would be fully aware of the risk involved. 
    I just hope they return to tell us of this experience but if unfortunately they don’t make it then I feel sorry for their families and friends loss. 
    These things happen. 

🤞
    Perhaps not so much in this particular case but people who take risks for the reasons you give often without meaning to do so put others at risk who are expected to rescue them when it goes tits up. I doubt any on that submersible we’re able to get insured and I expect the liability of the Submersibles owners is very limited too. How much is this rescue operation costing and who is footing the bill for what in effect is an act of utter irresponsibility.
    Yeah it's one thing to take a calculated risk, making sure every conceivable issue has been planned for. But this appears to be something else. Although I am basing that on having seen a lot of 'experts'/ morons on Twitter, TikTok, Insta and so on who are  'reporting' on this in that cynical way that social media does.  

Still, it does seem as though the safety features and back-up stuff was lacking. And that blows my mind. I can't use an after-market controller to play FIFA, yet these guys appear to be using one to control the lives of half a dozen people. That's mental. 
  • Solidgone said:
    Not sure I agree with those about having loads of money and taking such a risk. I’ve certainly and intentionally put myself at risk either scuba diving, bunjee jumping, parachute jump, zip lining, skiing etc etc plus in airplanes, helicopters, submarine, hot air balloon all of which could have ended badly. It’s what being adventurous is about. How many times has this submersible dived down to the titanic without incident? 
    If I had known they did tourist trips I would have considered it. Unfortunately I am not fit enough to climb Everest but again I would have had it on my bucket list. 
    These people know the risk and took a chance on a life tîme experience. They should be applauded. Unfortunately not all things go to plan and they would be fully aware of the risk involved. 
    I just hope they return to tell us of this experience but if unfortunately they don’t make it then I feel sorry for their families and friends loss. 
    These things happen. 

🤞
    Yeah but have u fronted Millwall tho at Cold Blow Lane?   
  • cafctom said:
    I can’t be the only one who winces with a bit of discomfort when the first thing some people think about is “how come some other story didn’t get more headlines?” or “who is footing the bill?”

Maybe it’s just me, but there’s a time and place…Doesn’t feel right when it’s at a time where the people involved are in such a predicament.
    I do agree but you can understand people's frustration when 40+ school children getting killed barely gets a whisper. It's more the frustration at that rather than this being headline news. Millions will be spent on the search whereas I imagine not many will be spent helping the families and victims of this attack which has happened in the same week
  • Ok a whisper was an exaggeration but you know what I meant, it gets a passing mention on most major news channels and outlets. Anyway, without wanting to detract from what this thread is actually about any longer.. fingers crossed for some better news in the coming hours
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Unfortunately it was Katrien filming an advert for our season ticket sales push.

• Having watched this 1 minute video (assuming it's genuine) it seems like a suicide mission & I wouldn't have got in there if you had paid me all the money in the world.
  • I find this thoroughly interesting, so glad it’s getting plenty of news coverage