Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I’m sick of tired of people saying…

2»

Comments

• edited June 2023
    Maybe a few fans who joined us when we were successful, who are long gone now, but long standing Charlton fans, no way.

In terms of Curbs getting that extra year. Whilst with hindsight it was clearly wrong, you could see what Murray was thinking. Would Curbs' heart be in it? Personally, I think the biggest error was the new structure Murray put in place. Dowie, despite all his faults, hadn't lost the dressing room when he was sacked but was undering that structure.
  • This same commentary popped up on radio 5 last night on their night time football show. Tim Vickery called it 'charlton syndrome' or something similar when describing the Bournemouth sacking. Didn't get challenged.

Tim Vickery is a superb Football journalist who has spent decades as the South American football expert but possibly not a South London football expert.
  • It was that sliding door moment when Curbs left and Dowie bought a *Dale Stephens Satnav and ended up at Cafc and not Oldham where his family were. We should've emulated Leicester City but ended up emulating Accrington Stanley.

*Dale was only 17 but he had already patented his Satnav as he knew the direction he wanted to take. 
  • Maybe a few fans who joined us when we were successful, who are long gone now, but long standing Charlton fans, no way.

In terms of Curbs getting that extra year. Whilst with hindsight it was clearly wrong, you could see what Murray was thinking. Would Curbs' heart be in it? Personally, I think the biggest error was the new structure Murray put in place. Dowie, despite all his faults, hadn't lost the dressing room when he was sacked but was undering that structure.
    He might not have lost the dressing room but he lost the team - on a training run away at Newcastle. 
  • Maybe a few fans who joined us when we were successful, who are long gone now, but long standing Charlton fans, no way.

My dad wanted him out and saw his first game in around 1950.
  • I always had the impression people would talk about whether he had ‘taken us as far as he could’ mainly because there was little else to talk about.

He had made us so safe and established that there was little other crisis, scandal, relegation battle etc to have to focus on. So people would just conjure up discussion about Curbs just for the sake of it really.

It’s not too dissimilar to the current situation with Gareth Southgate and England.

There always has to be some sort of debate that is forced, and before you know it people are generating opinions that were unnecessary to even consider in the first place. It’s just something that football fans can’t help but have to do.
  • …that I put my finger up my arse and smell it or pick and eat my bogies. Joachim Löw
  • https://talksport.com/football/1759338/debunking-myths-charlton-alan-curbishley-sacked/

What a frustrating read.

Why we didn’t let him take that last season of his contract and use the 12 month period to cement a proper succession plan I will never understand.

Saying you’re worried about players not wanting to sign for the club because they’re unsure who will be manager in a year’s time is either a bullshit excuse or a concern that’s entirely the making of Murray’s own mind.

Instead of putting a proper months-long search in place to find the best candidate possible, we brought in the bloke up the street to get one up on Croydon FC because Murray thought we’d become too good to get relegated.
  • Curbs was on the podcast quickly kevin and he speaks openly about him leaving, he went to Murray or Varney (cant remember which) to discuss spending 3.5 million on Steve Sidwell and they would only do it if he signed a new contract. I think as some have said already the mistake wasnt Curbs going solely, it was who they appointed afterwards.
    Absolutely criminal we went for Billy Davies, then Dowie.
    Murray was at a Bromley Supporters meeting about three weeks after Curbs left.
    He alluded to the fact that both George Graham and Ruud Gullit applied for the job, Gullit would have possibly been a step too far financially but I think George Graham would have been a good fit.
  • I think Elfs has taken this thread as far as he can. Time for a change
  • Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:
    I think Elfs has taken this thread as far as he can. Time for a change
    It was straight from the horses mouth.
  • https://talksport.com/football/1759338/debunking-myths-charlton-alan-curbishley-sacked/

What a frustrating read.

Why we didn’t let him take that last season of his contract and use the 12 month period to cement a proper succession plan I will never understand.

Saying you’re worried about players not wanting to sign for the club because they’re unsure who will be manager in a year’s time is either a bullshit excuse or a concern that’s entirely the making of Murray’s own mind.

Instead of putting a proper months-long search in place to find the best candidate possible, we brought in the bloke up the street to get one up on Croydon FC because Murray thought we’d become too good to get relegated.

The Dowie decision was a.nonsemce but football has changed a lot since Curbs left us and one of the big changes is the average life of a manager.becoming shorter and shorter.  When he left with 12m on his contract and that being given as a reason it felt reasonable at the time. 
  • IdleHans said:
    I think Elfs has taken this thread as far as he can. Time for a change
    It was straight from the horses mouth.
     Gareth Southgate?????
  • edited February 24
    https://talksport.com/football/1759338/debunking-myths-charlton-alan-curbishley-sacked/

What a frustrating read.

He wasn't the only member of the PLC Board to think that, which is why the "inner circle" handed Dowie a pot of cash for a transfer and wages budget we'd only cover if we stayed up.

• JohnnyH2 said:
    https://www.youtube.com/live/dfxvqB1OUsc?feature=share

At 39 minutes Keys claims he was sacked
    He's getting confused, I remember Keys getting the sack along with his side kick Gray.
    I just wrote this on youtube:

Get your facts straight, Richard Keys. Charlton did not sack Curbishley. If you weren’t so lazy as to bang out this football myth and actually read Curbishley’s book, then you’d know this. I was at The Valley for his last match. He did a walk around the pitch and got clapped by the fans. The only fans who didn’t clap were those holding banners saying thank-you. He left because the club wanted him to sign a new contract but he only wanted to see out the old one.

If you’re sick of this myth then you can either like my post or post likewise.