Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Firmani, Andy Nelson and Brian Clough

Just reading the Premium League thread about Nottingham Forrest got me thinking about Brian Clough.
We beat both Derby County (2-0) and Forrest (2-1) at The Valley when Clough managed those sides to promotion to the top flight, with EF being our manager against Derby and AN against Forrest.
Does anyone my knowledgeable than myself know if in their playing days they lined up against each other?
With Firmani obviously playing for us, Nelson centre half for Ipswich and Clough centre forward for Middlesbourgh and who came out on top in a three way contest.

Comments

• Options
    Fastest 250 league goals in English history, better than Greavsie.  You tell him that next time you see him.

Funny the little lines you remember from nearly 40 years ago.  Never saw any of them play but Clough was a bit good.
  • Options
    Shag, Marry, Kill?
  • Options
    Firmani and Clough never played against each other. Middlesbrough were a Division 2 side so did not play against Charlton until January 1957 when they met in the FA Cup. Eddie was already in Italy by then. By the time that he came back in October1963, Clough was with Sunderland and his career finished through Injury in September 1964. He did not play against Charlton between October 1963 and September 1964.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Fastest 250 league goals in English history, better than Greavsie.  You tell him that next time you see him.

Funny the little lines you remember from nearly 40 years ago.  Never saw any of them play but Clough was a bit good.
    Who….do you mean?
    Only Eddie is still alive?
  • Options
    Very difficult now to describe how good a player Firmani was. I believe he would’ve been able to cut it in any era.
  • Options
    Firmani and Clough never played against each other. Middlesbrough were a Division 2 side so did not play against Charlton until January 1957 when they met in the FA Cup. Eddie was already in Italy by then. By the time that he came back in October1963, Clough was with Sunderland and his career finished through Injury in September 1964. He did not play against Charlton between October 1963 and September 1964.
    Killerjerrylee, 
    many thanks for your post.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    51/52 v Boro h 4-3 a 1-2
    52/53.            h 2-0 a 0-1
    53/54.            h 8-1 a 2-0 Firmani hat trick

i think Captain Peacock you should stick to menswear.
  • Options
    The question was whether Firmani and Clough played against each other. They didn't. The games that you listed are irrelevant as Clough did not make his Football League debut until September 1955 and by then Middlesbrough were in Division 2 and Firmani was playing in Division 1 with Charlton. Did I not make myself clear?
  • Options
    yes sorry I never read it correctly. But you can have the stats it’s great reading.
  • Options
    Clough played an extraordinary number of Div 2 games, being unable to leave Boro. The sort of playing career that wouldn't happen now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Who….do you mean?
    Clough said it to Brian Moore in the very early 90s.  Its always stick with me.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Who….do you mean?
    Clough said it to Brian Moore in the very early 90s.  It’s always stick with me.
    Am I being a bit thick here?
    Was Clough talking about himself or Eddie?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Who….do you mean?
    Clough said it to Brian Moore in the very early 90s.  It’s always stick with me.
    Himself, he scored the fastest 250 goals in league history.  Better than Jimmy Greaves, who he thought was the best striker he ever saw.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Who….do you mean?
    Himself, he scored the fastest 250 goals in league history.  Better than Jimmy Greaves, who he thought was the best striker he ever saw.
    Ah right…..I now have the exact grasp of what you were talking about. 🙄
  • Options
    Eddie Firmani was pure class.
  • Options
    Eddie Firmani was pure class.
    Still the only player to score over 100 goals in both the English and Italian Leagues.