Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton scouting

How do I recommend a promising player to the Charlton scouting network. I know a very promising player over here (Canada) that has the potential to go a long way - already breaking into the Canadian professional league at 17…..before anyone laughs at the Canadian bit, same system that Alphonso Davies started in LOL

Comments

• Options
    Best thing to do is send Steve Gallen his details. Gallen will reply that he is has already lined up a 34 year old on loan from Sunderland. Fast forward 10 years when said 17 year old has won his 3rd  consecutive Champions  league medal….And Gallen will say that he has never heard of him. 
  • Options
    Wouldn’t Steve Avory be a better person to contact
  • Options
    Most of our youngsters in recent years have been from the South East because I thought that was part of Category 2 and the distance from home.
    Not certain but was the last teenager from abroad to come to cafc U18:

A Koc ?
  • Options
    According to the OS:

Please contact the club via email for information on the academy and trials. 

academy@cafc.co.uk

I assume they'll want a bit of background info as I doubt we have any scouts covering Canada. 

You could also mention Owen Hargreaves who started out in Calgary before Bayern Munich picked him up, and there lies the problem, the big clubs have international scouting networks and if this lad is any good he'll already be on their radar. Then again we have Martin Sandgaard and his laptop...
  • Options
    What’s his name?  I’ll see what footage I can get of him.

biggest issue will be work permits….but if he has English ancestry it’s a lot easier
  • Options
    Most of our youngsters in recent years have been from the South East because I thought that was part of Category 2 and the distance from home.

A Koc ?
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer or Matt Dench from Australia?

Dylan Gavin came over from the Republic of Ireland as well
  • Options

A Koc ?

I believe Ash and Dench have uk dual citizenship - I may be wrong - but because one of their parents are british it's easier
    Gavi n came over pre brexit so it was a slightly different playing field then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

A Koc ?

I believe Ash and Dench have uk dual citizenship - I may be wrong - but because one of their parents are british it's easier
    I believe Irish effectively count as British players so don’t need work permits.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

A Koc ?

Irish people have the same right to live and work in the U.K. (even post Brexit) as Brits do, so I don’t think a work permit for Irish players is a factor. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    What’s his name?  I’ll see what footage I can get of him.

biggest issue will be work permits….but if he has English ancestry it’s a lot easier

100% this
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

A Koc ?

I was more thinking of the distance from home factor.
    Although guess its like any kid from abroad, move them over here, put them in accommodation and hey presto, they're within the required distance.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Swisdom said:

A Koc ?

Irish people have the same right to live and work in the U.K. (even post Brexit) as Brits do, so I don’t think a work permit for Irish players is a factor. 
    Since Brexit, any kids signing from Ireland (and the EU) need to be at least 18. Recently lots of promising irish kids have been moving to Italian clubs at 16 instead of UK.
  • Options
    I don’t think someone only has to have English ancestry.
    Welsh, Northern Irish, Irish (after 18 years of age) and Scottish qualifies too.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, Any update on this @Swisdom is the kid talented, you like what you see etc 
  • Options
    Looks like @Oakster2 will have to adopt the lad.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Looks like @Oakster2 will have to adopt the lad.
    Probably his agent.
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    Out of curiosity, Any update on this @Swisdom is the kid talented, you like what you see etc 
    I haven't seen the player's name so I can't give an opinion I'm afraid
  • Sponsored links:

• Options