Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy Birthday Charlton Athletic

For tomorrow  

As we all know Charlton Athletic were formed on 9 June 1905, not by an employer or works team (West Ham, Arsenal) or a church (QPR, Southampton) or a school or out of an existing sports club (Forest) or even as a franchise to utilise an existing stadium (Liverpool, Chelsea, Palace) but by a group of 14 and 15 year old boys on a street corner.

It's a unique foundation in English league football 

Here's a history written in 1955 for the club's golden jubilee when some of the founders were still alive.

Comments

• Options
    Charlton has been a pain in the arse for most of my football supporting life but I love em!

Many Happy Returns.
  • Options
    Will send copy of this to Anne and Dave who are family of Eddie Marshall.

Cheers for this and Happy Birthday 9th June 
  • Options
    Stirring stuff.👍👏
  • Options

35 points from 18 games! Our very own Invincibles. 
  • Options
    Great work @CharltonAthMuseum. Enjoyed that.

Happy birthday for tomrrow, CAFC.
  • Options
    Happy 118th birthday Charlton Athletic.
    It's been a struggle and when ever we had a chance to be a big club, we never had the ambitious owners to take us to the next level.

A boys club of brothers and mates is a great historical start and it feels like the academy youth sides are still our best teams. 
  • Options
    Happy birthday to the mighty CAFC  B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely brilliant to have that history available for future generations 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    What a club to be in love with!!
    Since the first time back in 1965, when as an 8yr child i ducked in under a turnstile, Charlton have been my one constant, and at times my only friend, in my sometimes chaotic life.
    Happy birthday Charlton Athletic. God bless you.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday CAFC…🥳🎂.  

Brilliant read & wouldn’t it be just right If this long & drawn out takeover would be settled today…for the good…👏🙌🤞🏻
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Ours is an amazing story.
    A few things also piqued my interest.
    Ogilby Street (often called Ogilby Hill) was actually a street that ran off Frances Street.
    The two were linked by Rideout Street, which was the street I was born into in 1953.
    Fancy having to carry goalposts from East Street to Woolwich Common. Sheesh! Presumably all the way up Charlton Lane or Charlton Church Lane. Or I suppose they could have taken the scenic route through Maryon Wilson Park.
    I wonder if the pitch on Woolwich Common was what became Woolwich Stadium?
    Saw our reserves play there back in the day.
    Wouldn't mind owning a copy of that Jubilee Handbook. Will check ebay!

Edit: I wonder what the drapery store was on the corner of Hare Street. Burtons sat on the corner for many years, but I am not sure it goes back that far.
    Freebodys on the other side was there in my Mum's time, mid-thirties, but was listed as a Hosiers
  • Options

• Options
    edited June 2023

Ours is an amazing story.
    A few things also piqued my interest.
    Ogilby Street (often called Ogilby Hill) was actually a street that ran off Frances Street.
    The two were linked by Rideout Street, which was the street I was born into in 1953.
    Fancy having to carry goalposts from East Street to Woolwich Common. Sheesh! Presumably all the way up Charlton Lane or Charlton Church Lane. Or I suppose they could have taken the scenic route through Maryon Wilson Park.
    I wonder if the pitch on Woolwich Common was what became Woolwich Stadium?
    Saw our reserves play there back in the day.
    Wouldn't mind owning a copy of that Jubilee Handbook. Will check ebay!

Edit: I wonder what the drapery store was on the corner of Hare Street. Burtons sat on the corner for many years, but I am not sure it goes back that far.
    Freebodys on the other side was there in my Mum's time, mid-thirties, but was listed as a Hosiers
    Woolwich Stadium - first I have heard of this - I know that the remains of terracing can be found in back gardens of houses in Plumstead, which are the remains of Woolwich Arsenal’s ground

What was Woolwich Stadium - I can’t find anything on the internet ?

Edit - found it now - was opposite the hospital