Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help; using a UK credit card in Jersey

We are shortly going to Jersey (first time) and I am unsure about using credit cards. I know a Jersey pound = a British pound and that British pounds are accepted currency. I also know my UK credit cards are acceptable. 
However if I use my credit card not sure whether I will be charged Jersey or British pounds. The former I suspect? Then will I lose on exchange transaction charge? More crucially I will I be charged the usual fee, maybe 2.5% as a non-UK trsaction? Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    redman said:
    We are shortly going to Jersey (first time) and I am unsure about using credit cards. I know a Jersey pound = a British pound and that British pounds are accepted currency. I also know my UK credit cards are acceptable. 
    However if I use my credit card not sure whether I will be charged Jersey or British pounds. The former I suspect? Then will I lose on exchange transaction charge? More crucially I will I be charged the usual fee, maybe 2.5% as a non-UK trsaction? Thanks 
    Simple…..why not use cash?
  • Options
    Get a travel specific credit card - I use Clarity by Halifax but there are of course others available. 

There are also debit cards available that do the same job if you don't want credit.
  • Options
    The Jersey Pound is sterling - so no currency conversion and there shouldn't be any transaction fees (but check with your bank).

If you use cash you will likely get change in Jersey currency, and ATMs will issue Jersey notes (but you may have an option to choose UK notes - be careful though, UK bank notes are legal tender in Jersey, but not the other way around. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    You won't have transaction fees to pay on card purchases in Jersey.

Legal tender is an over-used and often misunderstood term.

It has a VERY narrow meaning in the UK and varies depending upon what part of the UK you are in.  Legal tender is what is required to pay off court fines, debts, etc.

As long as something is generally accepted, that's good.  To demonstrate the weirdness, Royal Mint coins and BoE notes are legal tender in England and Wales but in Scotland and Northern Ireland only Royal Mint coins are legal tender. Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes* are not legal tender anywhere, even in Scotland and NI.

Jersey notes are only legal tender in Jersey (as are BoE notes there). They are probably swappable at a bank in England and you might find some kind soul in a shop that would take them.  The truth is that currency is whatever anybody is prepared to accept in payment for goods or services.  That could be bank notes, Charlton Athletic match tickets or milk bottle tops.

*Scottish and Irish banks must hold an amount equivalent to the notes they issue in English pounds somewhere authorised for the purpose - usually the Bank of England.  That way, if they go bust the BoE will be able to reimburse the holders of these notes.  (So issuing Scottish and NI notes is a fairly pointless and profit-sapping affectation.) 

Edited to add the BoE produces special notes for this function, they are called giants and titans. Giants have a face value of £1mn; titans £100mn.  
  • Options
    I thought Jersey was in the UK?

Is this another brexit benefit?
  • Options

Jersey is not in the U.K.
  • Options
    It’s a suburb of Liverpool
  • Options

yes, along with the abolition of slavery and the first moon landings. 
  • Options
    This thread reminds me of when my mate asked me what the Customs checks were like if he went to the Isle of Wight.

I'm still laughing now thinking about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm just glad the OP isn't going to the Falkland Islands.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    I'm just glad the OP isn't going to the Falkland Islands.
    I’m off there soon, Hold yer beer
  • Options

The Channel Islands are not and never have been part of the EU.

Therefore BREXIT is irrelevant in this context.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Rachael Feel Bad GIF by My Kitchen Rules
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Yes and no. They were part of the EU Customs Union and within the single market but otherwise were treated as a "third country".  After we were taken out of the EU by people who are now mostly dead, the CI's position is governed by the Trade and Cooperation Treaty.

• Options
    I was just being silly. Let's leave it.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Not working out how you thought, Len?
  • Options
    Worlds gone mad
  • Options
    Pack some travellers cheques to be safe.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    cafcfan said:
    LenGlover said:

Yes and no. They were part of the EU Customs Union and within the single market but otherwise were treated as a "third country".  After we were taken out of the EU by people who are now mostly dead, the CI's position is governed by the Trade and Cooperation Treaty.

I'm still here  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Off_it said:
    This thread reminds me of when my mate asked me what the Customs checks were like if he went to the Isle of Wight.

no it's not. It's a sensible question. Whereas the Isle of Wight is part of the UK, Jersey is not and never has been. You need to passport to travel there. 

Thanks for the sensible answers, notablt @shirty5 and @cafcfan
  • Options
    redman said:
    Off_it said:

no it's not. It's a sensible question. Whereas the Isle of Wight is part of the UK, Jersey is not and never has been. You need to passport to travel there. 

You don’t need a passport to travel there from the UK, however you do need photo id eg: A drivers licence 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Off_it said:

What are you saying "no it's not" to? I said it reminds me of when my mate asked about the Isle of Wight, because it does remind me of that!

Unless you are one of my schizo personalities then I can't see how you would know what it does or doesn't remind me of. Very strange comment.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    LenGlover said:

Not working out how you thought, Len? .
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Off_it said:
    LenGlover said:

Not working out how you thought, Len? .
    MY view is that it has not been implemented as well as it could have been for many reasons more suited to the House of Commons section of the forum.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    redman said:
    Off_it said:

What are you saying "no it's not" to? I said it reminds me of when my mate asked about the Isle of Wight, because it does remind me of that!

Unless you are one of my schizo personalities then I can't see how you would know what it does or doesn't remind me of. Very strange comment.
    What I meant was going to Jersey is not like going to gthe Isle of Wight. But please let's not get into a silly argument.