Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The world is indeed small & bizarre

I own a Fiat 500 (Carlos Fandango Fannymagnet to give him his correct title) and as such belong to the owners club group on Facebook.
A particularly lovely black model was put up for sale today and the owner posted a picture.
Oh look, they have a lovely 2CV, what are the chances of that? (I sold my 2CV Robyn before moving to Ireland, it had a St George Cross roof).
On closer inspection, it was my Robyn! Still going strong and looking beautiful 🤩 How spooky is that?!

Comments

• Options
    My mum and old man were on holiday a month or 2 ago in the Canaries only to see a family from 2 doors along turn up to the same hotel 🤣

I've had similar on holiday bumping into people from Bexleyheath etc but never the same street.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    The world is indeed a small bizarre place.

I'll tell you a story (christ, I sound like I'm morphing into Max Bygraves!) going back to one day when I was on holiday in South Africa.  We were on our way back from Cape Town down the garden route and we stopped for a day/night in St Plettenburg Bay.  When we got there, we got offered the chance of doing a boat trip and some paddle boarding from our hotel and we jumped at it.

So off we went to the boat, just down the road.  Started talking to the Captain/Owner.  He asked where we came from, obviously you guys are from London.  South London, originally Welling/Bexleyheath now Petts Wood.  He looked surprised.  'Jeez fella, thats where my ex-wife's sisters brother and folks lived!  I was last over 4-5 years ago and we played 7-a-side at the astroturf place in Bexleyheath, was it called goals on a Tuesday night'.  Now I think back to when I was playing, one of my old school mates Will had a sister who had lived out in South Africa for years and her husband had played a few times with us to make up the numbers...

"You brother-in-law...whats his surname?"...

"It was an unusual double-barrelled one... R-F" (if you read this @AFKABartram, you'll know exactly who I'm referring to!)

Well fuck me, it was actually my old school mates brother-in-law.  Thousands of miles away from home, a completely random decision to go on this boat ride, in the middle of the bloody river and here was this fella that I'd played football with before.  It was so utterly random.  You couldn't make shit up like that.

Said our goodbyes at the end of the boat ride and went back to our hotel which was in the tree tops, like tree houses.
    For dinner, the hotel had this huge round table event every night where everyone staying at the hotel ate dinner together.

We got sat next to this old couple.
    He introduced himself and asked what I do.  I explained I worked at a London Uni as a Research Accountant, looking after Research Grants.
    He asked me what Uni I was at and I said QMUL.

He looked genuinely startled.
    'Goodness me, you're John D.......???'
    'Well thanks for your help in the past.  And when you get home, say a big hello to your lovely boss JC from me.  What a lovely woman she is'!
    It turns out, he was a retired QMUL Professor and I'd been looking after some of his grants for 2 years and we'd spoken by email hundreds of times.

I took a photo with him and my wife together and text it to my boss, she was just as gobsmacked as we were.

All of that happened on the very same day in SA.  For just one to happen it would have been a bit freaky, both both on the same day?  No drugs were involved, promise.

Now that is very fecking weird! 😳😳🤣🤣
  • Options
    In the early 90s, I went round the world for a few months. Had a few days in Rarotonga in the South Pacific. In the same hostel were these two young doctors, travelling around (but to more places than me). They'd been training in Liverpool, turned out they knew one of the two people I knew at the time in Liverpool. 
    A couple of months later, I was persuaded to go to Womad in Adelaide. I really enjoyed it, and heard my name being called. I thought it was someone I'd met in the hostel earlier, it was actually a really close friend and neither of us had any idea the other was even in Australia, let alone there. We ended up travelling up to Darwin for a couple of weeks then she went back to fruit picking and I carried on down to Sydney. 
  • Options
    My mum and old man were on holiday a month or 2 ago in the Canaries only to see a family from 2 doors along turn up to the same hotel 🤣

I've had similar on holiday bumping into people from Bexleyheath etc but never the same street.
    Many years ago I was on a night train somewhere in Eastern Europe, and in the corridor started talking with a guy from Hong Kong. It turned out he had been living for the previous few months with a family in Dartford, in the same street my parents live in!
  • Options
    Whilst not wishing to piss on anyone's chips because they are great stories, amazing coincidences like this are actually not that amazing based on probability theory.

That said, I also have a canaries story. On two consecutive holidays to Lanzarote in different years in different hotels I bumped into a different ex boss from the same company.
  • Options
    Flying to the UK last year we got chatting to the woman sat next to us, she lives in the Alentejo and is flying back for a family visit like us. She's obviously a southerner, so we ask where she comes from: Worthing. Oh, we used to spend a lot of time in Worthing before we moved out, had great friends who moved down there before we relocated to Portugal, but sadly Ellie died young - "Ellie and Buddah?" she says, err... yes... Turns out she used to babysit their kids and lived just around the corner, we were all at their wedding, just never got introduced (Buddah was Tony's nickname - he wasn't actually a diety).

Two days later we get on a bus at the O2, on our way back from an afternoon club in Soho. Get chatting to this bloke, he's been helping set up the Great British Beer Festival, so we get talking about beer and beer festivals. I mention I have a mate who used to be one of the head brewers for the Firkin chain, who moved from Chadwell Heath to Peterborough, and that we are going up to stay with them later in the week, and it just (happily) happens to co-incide with the Peterborough beer festival. Oh, Eddie and Gina you mean? He says... err... yes... 

There was a third within days of that, but neither me or the missus can recall what it was.  

Fast forward to the last game of this season, bump into Kev Merrick in the lounge before the game chatting about when he, Roy King and Steve Dixon came over to see us. After the game we are talking about Dicko to Chris and Sue. Then we go to get our bus back to Chislehurst, we almost miss it, but the driver kindly waits. Go upstairs - who is sat there - Dicko, on his way back from watching Orient get their League one trophy.         
  • Options
    Flying to the UK last year we got chatting to the woman sat next to us, she lives in the Alentejo and is flying back for a family visit like us. She's obviously a southerner, so we ask where she comes from: Worthing. Oh, we used to spend a lot of time in Worthing before we moved out, had great friends who moved down there before we relocated to Portugal, but sadly Ellie died young - "Ellie and Buddah?" she says, err... yes... Turns out she used to babysit their kids and lived just around the corner, we were all at their wedding, just never got introduced (Buddah was Tony's nickname - he wasn't actually a diety).

Two days later we get on a bus at the O2, on our way back from an afternoon club in Soho. Get chatting to this bloke, he's been helping set up the Great British Beer Festival, so we get talking about beer and beer festivals. I mention I have a mate who used to be one of the head brewers for the Firkin chain, who moved from Chadwell Heath to Peterborough, and that we are going up to stay with them later in the week, and it just (happily) happens to co-incide with the Peterborough beer festival. Oh, Eddie and Gina you mean? He says... err... yes... 

There was a third within days of that, but neither me or the missus can recall what it was.  

Fast forward to the last game of this season, bump into Kev Merrick in the lounge before the game chatting about when he, Roy King and Steve Dixon came over to see us. After the game we are talking about Dicko to Chris and Sue. Then we go to get our bus back to Chislehurst, we almost miss it, but the driver kindly waits. Go upstairs - who is sat there - Dicko, on his way back from watching Orient get their League one trophy.         
    Is that a premonition?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst not wishing to piss on anyone's chips because they are great stories, amazing coincidences like this are actually not that amazing based on probability theory.

That said, I also have a canaries story. On two consecutive holidays to Lanzarote in different years in different hotels I bumped into a different ex boss from the same company.
    So what’s the Canary’s story? 😌
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Small = The fact you saw your old motor in a Facebook ad.

Bizarre = You name your cars.

;)
    You got me 😎
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Just why do people still feel this need for this level of petulant behaviour? I can’t believe some people are that pathetic they find this constant grammar shaming funny, always the same people too.
  • Options
    I own a Fiat 500 (Carlos Fandango Fannymagnet to give him his correct title) and as such belong to the owners club group on Facebook.
    A particularly lovely black model was put up for sale today and the owner posted a picture.
    Oh look, they have a lovely 2CV, what are the chances of that? (I sold my 2CV Robyn before moving to Ireland, it had a St George Cross roof).
    On closer inspection, it was my Robyn! Still going strong and looking beautiful 🤩 How spooky is that?!
    I resisted for a bit - and we have swapped messages etc - you are a lovely lady

BUT the 2CV is the motoring work of the Devil - hateful car - just awful

Soz, X, and all that - but horrible car !!!
  • Options
    I resisted for a bit - and we have swapped messages etc - you are a lovely lady

BUT the 2CV is the motoring work of the Devil - hateful car - just awful

Soz, X, and all that - but horrible car !!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Hateful?????
    Ahhhhh you poor thing.
    See, I just drove my dream car from day one. Always wanted one after my art teacher at school had one.
    Minute I got behind the wheel I was hooked.
    Drove everywhere with a smile on my face.
    Most times when it broke down, either I or my husband could fix it easily.
    It taught me so much, made so many friends through the club.
    Never got too upset if it got scratched or damaged & I never was involved in any accidents despite driving everyday on the A2/M25.

Couldn't afford one now.
    Cheapest I've seen is 8k for the same quality as my Robyn. And that for me takes the joy out of owning that type of car.

I enjoy Carlos but he's not Robyn ❤️
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:

Just why do people still feel this need for this level of petulant behaviour? I can’t believe some people are that pathetic they find this constant grammar shaming funny, always the same people too.
    WTF are you on about you twerp……it was my(evidently not very successful), attempt at a joke regarding looking for a ‘story’ regarding canary’s.
    Jesus H Christ…..FFS. 😠
  • Options
    Haven’t heard ‘twerp’ in a while.  As to the canaries, something to do with Norwich I’ll be bound.
  • Options
    My mate told me me this . He was on holiday in Corfu , walking down the street this fella walks out of a bar and falls over, my mate runs over to offer some assistance and pick him up, the fella is from Newcastle, asks my mate where his from and says Essex, the fella says I know someone from Essex his name is Derek Hilton, turns out it's one of our mates and this fella works on the Rigs with him
  • Options
    Sitting in a restaurant in Kefalonia in my Charlton polo shirt next table sits a Norwich fan. 
    Start chatting about footie over a couple of beers, conversation turns to jobs. 
    My new Canary mate is a postie, "whereabouts?" Dereham in Norfolk, 
    "Oh my mate lives in Dereham, in a thatched cottage. " I reply.
    "The one on the main rd?"      "Yeah thats it the old pub"
    "I am his postie "

Walking around a volcano in Costa Rica, get chatting to a English couple who are on the same hike route. 
    "Where do you live?" they ask, "SE9" we reply.
    "Oh we live SE9, in North Park"  we say what number, the tell us and we find out they live next door to friends of ours.

It is indeed a small world.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Many moons ago was travelling across Canada/US
    Got into Miami and as being 20 wasn’t allowed beer.
    Been away for 4 months and thought let’s go home.
    Booked flight, and whilst perusing the duty frees heard my name called.
    My mate (Steve Donegan) had been in Miami on his own. Ain’t seen him for ages.
    Got on the beer.
    Plane delayed overnight.
    He only had dollars (touch), I only had sterling (cab home from Heathrow)
    seat tickets next to each other (prior to meeting).
    Never seen him since.
    still owes me a tenner.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Sitting in a restaurant in Kefalonia in my Charlton polo shirt next table sits a Norwich fan. 
    "I am his postie "

You’re not talking about Steve with the old Jolly Farmers are you @usetobunkin ?
  • Options
    Wandering around Leclerc in Le Sables D'olonne with my kids 15 years years ago , walked  around the corner and bumped into my college friend Ramon with his kids. Hadn't seen each other in years ; had no idea he would be there 
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Many moons ago was travelling across Canada/US
    Got into Miami and as being 20 wasn’t allowed beer.
    Been away for 4 months and thought let’s go home.
    Booked flight, and whilst perusing the duty frees heard my name called.
    My mate (Steve Donegan) had been in Miami on his own. Ain’t seen him for ages.
    Got on the beer.
    Plane delayed overnight.
    He only had dollars (touch), I only had sterling (cab home from Heathrow)
    seat tickets next to each other (prior to meeting).
    Never seen him since.
    Cunt still owes me a tenner.
    Is his old man called Tadhg?
  • Options
    Part of a fair Irish contingency in Charlton early 80s.
    A lot down and around rathmore rd
  • Options
    "I am his postie "

You’re not talking about Steve with the old Jolly Farmers are you @usetobunkin ?
    It is the old Jolly Farmers, my mate is called Chris, moved in about 2 yrs ago. Think the postie was called Dean, smashing fella his Mrs worked in Tesco 
  • Options
    Went on a cruise last year around the middle East. Sat down for dinner the first night got talking to a couple.on the next table.

To cut a long story short it turned out that they live two streets from us. I'm sure the the cruise liner  checked the names and addresses and put us together!. Luckly we hadn't previously had a fall out 🤣.
  • Options
    I’m sure I’ve told this before on here, but me and my ex-wife were in a restaurant in Florida and the waiter serving us said, ‘Whereabouts in London are you from?’ I said you won’t know it. Norbury.’ Sure I know it. My daughter lives above the Greggs in Thornton Heath.’
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Had two weird occurrences in the cab I can recall. Once picked up a fare to Victoria . Got talking about golf and he said he can’t play as much as he’d like but played a few society days. After about 5 mins chatting about where he’d played we realised that we actually played in the same fourball a couple of years back.

Another one, I picked up a chap who asked to be taken to a large office block in near Marble Arch. Got chatting and he said he was meeting a  female family member to take her out to lunch. I said that my mates missus works in that building. Lo and behold, turns out it’s her he’s going to see.