Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Retires from professional football at the age of 41.

Comments

• Options
    A fantastic footballer but does not appear to be the nicest of people.
  • Options
    One of the cheap Swedish wonderkids on CM 00/01 along with Kennedy Bakircioglu, Kim Kallstrom etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Zlatan retires and the take over moves forwards.... Eyes
  • Options
    Excellent player and will go down as one of the greats, happy retirement legend 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I still think his overhead kick from outside the box against England is one of the best goals I have seen.
    The speed of thought and improvisation from that position was outstanding
    Agreed, Bergkamp against Argentina in Marseille was not bad either.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I still think his overhead kick from outside the box against England is one of the best goals I have seen.
    The speed of thought and improvisation from that position was outstanding
    I was lucky enough to be at that game (despite the score) and watch it live. It seemed to be in slow motion when it went in.
  • Options
    Excellent player and will go down as one of the greats, happy retirement legend 
    happy retirement, legend, enjoy growing your avocados. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a Swedish mate whom I regularly accuse of burning the planet with his biz flights to what seem to be golf matches followed by dinner, all on expenses. I also tried regularly to explain to him what a  nobhead Zlatan is, who should really have played for Bosnia. He bet me a bottle of vintage Bolly that I wouldn't walk the walk and take the train to visit him in Malmö. Ha. Easiest of wins, was up there a week ago. He'd booked us both into the 25 storey Clarion hotel in the centre, where he of course has loads of loyalty points. At check-in he suggested that we could swap rooms, but if I didn't like it, we could reverse it. I had no idea what it was about until we arrived on the 23rd floor, and I was confronted with The Zlatan Suite. Reader, I could not say no to the huge suite with to-die-for views. But feck my old boots, please marvel at the gold bathroom fittings, the gold telescope from which to spy on the tottie at ground level, and even the gold kettle, FFS.
    Looks lovely.

However wasn't Zlatan born in Malmo, Sweden, and therefore made complete sense for him to play international football for Sweden? Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    I have a Swedish mate whom I regularly accuse of burning the planet with his biz flights to what seem to be golf matches followed by dinner, all on expenses. I also tried regularly to explain to him what a  nobhead Zlatan is, who should really have played for Bosnia. He bet me a bottle of vintage Bolly that I wouldn't walk the walk and take the train to visit him in Malmö. Ha. Easiest of wins, was up there a week ago. He'd booked us both into the 25 storey Clarion hotel in the centre, where he of course has loads of loyalty points. At check-in he suggested that we could swap rooms, but if I didn't like it, we could reverse it. I had no idea what it was about until we arrived on the 23rd floor, and I was confronted with The Zlatan Suite. Reader, I could not say no to the huge suite with to-die-for views. But feck my old boots, please marvel at the gold bathroom fittings, the gold telescope from which to spy on the tottie at ground level, and even the gold kettle, FFS.
    Looks lovely.

However wasn't Zlatan born in Malmo, Sweden, and therefore made complete sense for him to play international football for Sweden? Or am I missing something?
    Erling Haaland was born in Leeds. Just saying.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Looks lovely.

Erling Haaland was born in Leeds. Just saying.
    Exactly. That doesn't mean he should have played for England. Same as Raheem Sterling not representing Jamaica, Kevin Petersen not representing South Africa at Cricket etc :)
  • Options
    Looks lovely.

Sure it does, it's just a running banter thing with my buddy, who is not a proper footie person, although his son sure as hell is. He would wind me up about Zlatan's exploits for Sweden (sadly missing when I saw him live "playing" for Sweden against Spain in Euro 08). I would retort that Sweden's best player is a Bosnian, and should be playing for Bosnia since he slags off his "tough, deprived" life as a child on Rosengaard estate in Malmö. On an earlier visit, he actually took me round Rosengaard. Honestly, as I tried to explain to him, it's like two levels up from Thamesmead. But when you are brought up in a comfortably off family in Lund (up the road from Malmö), it's hard to grasp the full horror of Thamesmead (which admittedly I last saw in 1992) 

I'm half ready to accept that "Zlatan's" whole super-ego thing is itself partly banter and can be very funny; and I was also at a meet with the CEO of a top Swedish ad agency who got him to do a fundraising spot for a children's charity, and could not praise him enough for his helpful and modest approach to the project. So I dunno. But I seriously think he should have and could do a lot more for his Bosnian heritage. Edin Dzeko has rather shown him up.
  • Options
    The Zlatan is Zlatan thing is all for show, no doubt
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Well there’s business of him buying a share in Hammerby, which caused Malmö fans to turn on him big time. Destroyed the statue of him the city had erected. He also ( several years earlier) bought a nice house in a seafront area of Malmö, which ought to have been a nice commitment to the town that raised him. Unfortunately he saw fit to throw a big ugly concrete wall around it, in a region where people often dont even fence their front gardens. So there is some knobheadery in his make-up
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Well there’s business of him buying a share in Hammerby, which caused Malmö fans to turn on him big time. Destroyed the statue of him the city had erected. He also ( several years earlier) bought a nice house in a seafront area of Malmö, which ought to have been a nice commitment to the town that raised him. Unfortunately he saw fit to throw a big ugly concrete wall around it, in a region where people often dont even fence their front gardens. So there is some knobheadery in his make-up
    Some?

That's not overly important though - the man thing is that he was a great footballer.
  • Options
    He's named his best XI from the players he played with... and included himself obviously.

Buffon

Thuram - Thiago Silva - Nesta - Maxwell

Vieira - Xavi - Nedved

Messi - Ibrahimovic - Ronaldinho
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks lovely.

Sure it does, it's just a running banter thing with my buddy, who is not a proper footie person, although his son sure as hell is. He would wind me up about Zlatan's exploits for Sweden (sadly missing when I saw him live "playing" for Sweden against Spain in Euro 08). I would retort that Sweden's best player is a Bosnian, and should be playing for Bosnia since he slags off his "tough, deprived" life as a child on Rosengaard estate in Malmö. On an earlier visit, he actually took me round Rosengaard. Honestly, as I tried to explain to him, it's like two levels up from Thamesmead. But when you are brought up in a comfortably off family in Lund (up the road from Malmö), it's hard to grasp the full horror of Thamesmead (which admittedly I last saw in 1992) 

I'm half ready to accept that "Zlatan's" whole super-ego thing is itself partly banter and can be very funny; and I was also at a meet with the CEO of a top Swedish ad agency who got him to do a fundraising spot for a children's charity, and could not praise him enough for his helpful and modest approach to the project. So I dunno. But I seriously think he should have and could do a lot more for his Bosnian heritage. Edin Dzeko has rather shown him up.
    You mean the Bosnian born Bosnian Dzeko has done more for Bosnia than the Swedish born Swed Zlatan?

Next your be saying Marcus Rashford has been shown up by Usain Bolt doing more for Jamaica.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Looks lovely.

You mean the Bosnian born Bosnian Dzeko has done more for Bosnia than the Swedish born Swed Zlatan?

Next your be saying Marcus Rashford has been shown up by Usain Bolt doing more for Jamaica.
    Wow, really clever, you put me bang to rights there.

I've been forced to follow Ibrahimovic's profuse public pronouncements over the years rather more than is good for me, and they include trading heavily on his parents life story and his resulting upbringing. For that reason alone, he could have done something with his fabulous riches. Aacademy in Sarajevo or something, but nah. Or even if I accept your premise,  what has he done for Malmö, the city that gave his family a safe secure home compared with what they left behind, or the club that developed him? Sweet FA, as related above, and the fans and the rest of the city of Malmö have seen through him. Great footballer, massive knobhead.
  • Options
    He's named his best XI from the players he played with... and included himself obviously.

Buffon

Vieira - Xavi - Nedved

So he’s saying he played with himself?
  • Options

Buffon

Vieira - Xavi - Nedved

The list of some of the players left out would rival those he picked, Iniesta, Zanetti, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Figo, Seedorf, del Piero, Dani Alves, Puyol, Cavani, Busquets, Ashley Cole.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Charlie Kirk is gonna do the exact same thing in about a month