Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any Decorators on here ?

Having my flat re-decorated & the painter isn't cleaning the woodwork because he says as he's using an undercoat he doesn't need to. I think this is bollocks & he's just a lazy cowboy. Any educated opinions on this please ? Thanks

By the way I said I would wash it down when they came to tender but they said they would do everything.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a rip off cowboy cutting corners.
    Of course he doesn’t need to do anything to achieve a finish, the question is what kind of finish and how long it will last.
  • Options
    has he bothered to even sand it? 
  • Options
    No professional, but I’d wash, rub down to ensure a key for new paint. Then if just repainting over a painted surface, I’d go with paint. I wouldn’t undercoat a previously painted surface.
  • Options
    Having my flat re-decorated & the painter isn't cleaning the woodwork because he says as he's using an undercoat he doesn't need to. I think this is bollocks & he's just a lazy cowboy. Any educated opinions on this please ? Thanks

By the way I said I would wash it down when they came to tender but they said they would do everything.
    All woodwork should be washed down, ideally with sugarsoap and then thoroughly rinsed. Rubbed down with an abrasive and then undercoat applied. There are some very good undercoat / primers on the market these days but a proper decorator will always do the above. Anything else is cutting corners. Source. Brother in law who’s been a P&D for 40 years. 
  • Options
    I'm a Decorator and in all honesty it depends on what the previous finish is and what finish you are going for this time. 
    If its previously been glossed (oil based), then regardless of the new finish, then a wash down with sugar soap, a sand down to key, and then 1 or 2 undercoats would be ideal. But obviously, as this is a longer process, the cost for this level of work would be higher. 

If the previous finish was an eggshell or satin (oil) then you wouldn't necessarily need to wash it down, but a good key with sandpaper would be enough, followed by undercoat for gloss or 2 Coats Eggshell/Satinwood as these are self undercoating. 

If the previous finish is water based then I would wash down. Again it would be a good key up, dust down and paint with the required coats to finish.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
  • Options
    Paint sprayer and painter for donkeys years and agree with SHG, existing paintwork must be keyed up by sanding and thoroughly cleaned before painting. Sounds like a lazy git that can't be arsed.
  • Options
    Thanks all. I know nothing about decorating but even I thought they were cowboys, thanks for confirming. Landlord engaged them & he's paying so up to him but even so I want a decent job done.
  • Options
    Thanks all. I know nothing about decorating but even I thought they were cowboys, thanks for confirming. Landlord engaged them & he's paying so up to him but even so I want a decent job done.
    To be honest I doubt they’re cowboys. They’ll do a job based on what’s being paid for. You can’t do the 100% proper job with washing down, sanding, one or even two undercoats and then finish if you’re only getting paid less than that work would take in terms of time and even materials.
  • Options
    Do you need someone to redecorate his face, if so, I know just the man.

DM, Me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you need someone to redecorate his face, if so, I know just the man.

DM, Me.
    Ha ha. 
    Like his radio.
  • Options
    Where are you based? Have you got a decorator? A good friend of mine is one of the best and does the perfect job.
    DM if interested and will have a word with him 👍
  • Options
    Get him onside by hilariously asking him why he rolls out of bed when making love to his wife.
    If he doesn't say, ' because I prefer a mat finish' he's a cowboy who should be sacked off double quick.
  • Options
    To be honest I doubt they’re cowboys. They’ll do a job based on what’s being paid for. You can’t do the 100% proper job with washing down, sanding, one or even two undercoats and then finish if you’re only getting paid less than that work would take in terms of time and even materials.
    They're getting what they tendered for, that's all I know.