Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kingsway Tramway Subway

2»

Comments

• Options
    If anyone wants to venture to Derbyshire The National Tram Museum at Chrich, near Matlock is well worth a visit. It has a mile and a half of a working tram line and a fabulous sheds holding trams from all over the UK and the world.
    Croydon has working tram line but I don't want to visit it.
  • Options
    Who would want to visit Crodon ffs
  • Options
    Speaking of tunnels, apparently there is one from Plumstead nick direct to Belmarsh.
    Not sure how true that is.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Speaking of tunnels, apparently there is one from Plumstead nick direct to Belmarsh.
    I thought it was from the prison to the courthouse?
  • Options
    Yep, I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    R0TW said:
    I thought it was from the prison to the courthouse?
    Correct
  • Options
    A disused part of the subway was used as London's flood control centre before the flood barrier was commissioned.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    A disused part of the subway was used as London's flood control centre before the flood barrier was commissioned.
    Surely somewhere on a hill would have been more sensible?
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    It was above flood level and available.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Love that pic, I worked in the building on the corner of Kingsway/ Aldwych until lockdown.
    From 1983-1985 I worked the opposite end, on the corner of Kingsway & High Holborn. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    I would have thought that if it was part of the means to control a flood it must be at the level a flood would reach if they presumably planned to bring the flood level down by letting the subways fill up
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    I would have thought that if it was part of the means to control a flood it must be at the level a flood would reach if they presumably planned to bring the flood level down by letting the subways fill up
    It was a command centre in available space and the subway was not the means of controlling any flood.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Even I'm not old enough to remember trams - but I do remember the tram rails in Beresford Square.
    That’s where we would pick up Lewis Coaches for away games in the early 1970s.
    Remember the very large tram shelters there to if my memory is not playing tricks.

My grandparents lived on Woolwich Road near Harvey’s entrance and always spoke of the trams passing by.
  • Options
    My Grandad worked in one of the tram workshops, night work. May have been at New Cross? Not sure what he did but it involved something to do with the wheels....might have been something about a build up of crap affecting the motors....too long ago to fully remember. He passed at 97 years of age in 2015. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Even I'm not old enough to remember trams - but I do remember the tram rails in Beresford Square.
    That’s where we would pick up Lewis Coaches for away games in the early 1970s.
    Remember the very large tram shelters there to if my memory is not playing tricks.

My grandparents lived on Woolwich Road near Harvey’s entrance and always spoke of the trams passing by.

Yes, think the tram rails were there in to the 80s.

Gratuitous photo of Beresford Square, 1951, complete with tram shelter (was used for the routes towards Eltham) here on Flickr

TEL said:
    My Grandad worked in one of the tram workshops, night work. May have been at New Cross? Not sure what he did but it involved something to do with the wheels....might have been something about a build up of crap affecting the motors....too long ago to fully remember. He passed at 97 years of age in 2015. 

The place that's now Go-Ahead London's bus garage at New Cross was a tram depot, there was another at Abbey Wood where Glover Close is now - it also became a bus garage, but it closed in the early 80s and has since been re-developed.

Basic maintenance was done at night - checking / replacing brake blocks might have been part of it?

New Cross depot early 50s picture here - the old building was damaged by WW 2 bombing, so was completely rebuilt when it became a bus garage.