Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Clubs need a rich owner more than a big stadium or big fanbase

Its obvious isn't it?
Brentford
Bournemouth
and who knows Luton?
Experts on here can provide the stats on stadium size.

Does this trend continue to lower divisions? Experts please tell me I'm wrong but that's the way it seems to me.

TV revenues replace and dwarf revenues from match attending fans.

So Duchalet- just build those flats-  a big stadium is not going to be necessary- just an expense to maintain. We can play at Ebbsfleet , Welling or Bromley.

Just putting on a tin hat and ducking for cover.

Comments

• Teams like those with small stadiums are punching above their weight and just treading water until the inevitable relegation happens.
  • Is bums on seats that important in terms of revenue for PL clubs these days ? I’m sure it helps but let’s face it those clubs mentioned by the OP are always there to make up the numbers rather than win things. 
  • Is bums on seats that important in terms of revenue for PL clubs these days ? I’m sure it helps but let’s face it those clubs mentioned by the OP are always there to make up the numbers rather than win things. 
    40,000 at an average ticket price of £25 = £1 million so by the time you’ve sold refreshments and merchandise and multiplied that by the number of home games over the season I suspect ‘bums on seats’ might be seen as a tad important and 4 times as important as it would be at a ground that only holds 10k
  • Its obvious isn't it?
    Brentford
    Bournemouth
    and who knows Luton?
    Experts on here can provide the stats on stadium size.

Does this trend continue to lower divisions? Experts please tell me I'm wrong but that's the way it seems to me.

TV revenues replace and dwarf revenues from match attending fans.

So Duchalet- just build those flats-  a big stadium is not going to be necessary- just an expense to maintain. We can play at Ebbsfleet , Welling or Bromley.

Just putting on a tin hat and ducking for cover.
    interesting theory .. already said, a big stadium can be a drag for an underperforming club which needs a moneybags to invest in the team  ..  then of course, once said club hits the heights hopefully it will attract more fans and increase revenues .. difficult act to balance .. we'll see how Everton get on very soon
    Warning, a close shave .. a few years back when Scunthorpe was in the 2nd tier, ambitious plans for a new 12/15,000 stadium were well advanced .. where are they now ? .. even at the time of 'success', Scunny i m o was a club which would hardly ever attract more than 8/9,000 fans .. Scunthorpe narrowly escaped building a white elephant ground which all the Lincolnshire clubs combined would struggle to fill
  • I'm not sure it is as simple as getting a rich owner without the surrounding infrastructure, as the EFL have financial regulations.

How they enforce them I'm not sure, but there is an upper limit to the amount of losses a team can incur, and player expenditure should not exceed 60% of relevant turnover.
    So clearly having the trifecta of rich owners, large ground and big attendance, is the way teams can progress quickest.

• Somebody out there may read Swiss Ramble (football financial expert~) or Kieran Maguire. I occasionally have little sequence of listening to KM then drop out. (I like Swiss Ramble but too mean to pay for it).
    The percentage of income from seat sales must be small, and dropping for all clubs in Premiership. Big clubs make big ticket sales, but Swiss Ramble quotes today Man City gets £172 mill from the Champions League profits , then there's Sky/BT for routine PL matches etc. I'm guessing ticket sales for ManCity at £30-£40million(maybe wrong there). ie a quarter of only one source of revenue.
    Now they're a new deal from Sky for the EFL.... I'm bit vague on that but I think 1000 + EFL games will be televised next season. So add that to the trend of more people watching iFollow or CAFC TV (from Iceland /Portugal Ha!Ha!) which maybe absorbed into Sky it all adds up to less people able/willing/can afford to attend matches in the lower divisions too.

Conclusion-"Fill the Valley"- yes with flats, and don't worry about our spiritual home

(saying this is the likely trend in incomes, probably will take time 5-10 years etc)