Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

DIY question. Door threshold.

2»

Comments

• Options
    red10 said:
    Maybe load up the underside that will be the leading edge sliding under the door jam. You will probably get excess that needs to be cleaned up pretty promptly.
    If it’s the solvent free in the green tube as I suggested above it wipes off with a wet cloth like decorating caulk. If it’s not solvent free you need to work quickly and don’t get it on your hands as it’s a bugger to get off 
  • Options
    red10 said:
    Maybe load up the underside that will be the leading edge sliding under the door jam. You will probably get excess that needs to be cleaned up pretty promptly.
    If it’s the solvent free in the green tube as I suggested above it wipes off with a wet cloth like decorating caulk. If it’s not solvent free you need to work quickly and don’t get it on your hands as it’s a bugger to get off 
    Thanks. 

Threshold is due to arrive tomorrow so I'll fit it after work. Over the weekend I then need to finish sanding and stain the door (I'm restoring the original hardwood doors) hang the door in time for the carpet to be fit on Monday.

No stress.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Spoke to a mate who run a carpet business for years today and he said they used to screw or nail them down adhesives wear off in time and tend to move..... His advice.

Ground floors of course tend to be concrete and first floors and above wooden floorboards, so I guess a mixture of above. 
  • Options
    Spoke to a mate who run a carpet business for years today and he said they used to screw or nail them down adhesives wear off in time and tend to move..... His advice.

Ground floors of course tend to be concrete and first floors and above wooden floorboards, so I guess a mixture of above. 
    Thanks. All my floors are hung timber. I'm gonna nail it in each corner after the adhesive just to be sure.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    As this is carpet to carpet, what exactly are you sticking the threshold to? If it's going to touch the carpet I would definitely avoid in case you ever need to lift to get under the floor (leaky pipe, electrics etc) as the chances of getting it back up without damaging your carpet would be remote!

Might be too late, but you can buy wooden door bars where a u channel screws to the floor and it clips on.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    As this is carpet to carpet, what exactly are you sticking the threshold to? If it's going to touch the carpet I would definitely avoid in case you ever need to lift to get under the floor (leaky pipe, electrics etc) as the chances of getting it back up without damaging your carpet would be remote!

Might be too late, but you can buy wooden door bars where a u channel screws to the floor and it clips on.
    It's a wooden threshold fixed to the floorboards. It'll then be carpeted up to it. This isn't a T-bar where the carpet goes underneath I have a few of those and don't like them at all. Plan on replacing them as I replace the floorings in the house. Carpet will not go under the bar so won't have a problem lifiting it.
  • Options
    It'll work essentially like this. 
  • Options
    I know you're all waiting with baited breath  but unfortunately you're gonna be disappointed. Despite the threshold being loaded onto a van at 8am this morning it wasn't delivered qnd was returned to the warehouse at 3pm. So I don't have it and can't fit it (obviously). Which is a slight issue as the carpet is getting fitted on Monday....
  • Options
    Trip to the timber yard tomorrow then!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice job!
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Thanks, just got to stain and hang the door, move all the furniture in and we will finally be living in the master bedroom, only 16 months after buying the house! 

Unfortunately a year of doing DIY pretty much every day has taken its toll on me today and what has been an underlying back niggle has turned into a full on debilitating back pain this evening. I'm fine with sitting standing or laying but it's the moving I'm having trouble with. Hopefully I sleep it off and can lug some furniture about tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hopefully the end is sight Canters and once it is all done, you can sell it and move out of Kidbroke…

(Only joking , did you even move there in the end?)
  • Options
    FYI, if installing new, plug sockets should be higher than that (450mm CL if memory serves me well).
    Just a heads up. 
    Not meaning to piss on your parade.
    Nice job on the threshold.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    FYI, if installing new, plug sockets should be higher than that (450mm CL if memory serves me well).
    Just a heads up. 
    Not meaning to piss on your parade.
    Nice job on the threshold.
    That one was already there just a new faceplate. 

Good to know for the future. The electrician was the one contractor we weren't happy with. Definitely other laces where he didn't do this. Wouldn't use him again.