Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Difference A Goal Makes

Millwall and Mansfield missing out on the play-offs in their respective divisions today are two good examples.

Any more?

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Bristol Rovers achieved it last season, scoring the last goal that secured them promotion last season over Northampton what with having superior Goal Difference - Been some really tight margins in that regard of late.
  • Options
    Millwall missed out by a point not a goal. 
  • Options
    Michael Thomas springs to mind too, winning the title on goals scored in the last minute.
  • Options
    I should have mentioned the 1962/1963 season when I started following Charlton. We travelled to Walsall in our final game needing a win to send them down by goal average (forerunner of goal difference) and avoid relegation ourselves. We won 2-1 and survived.
  • Options
    They lost today 4-3. Had they drawn I think they would have been in the play-offs.
  • Options
    Good to see you posting Len
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    They lost today 4-3. Had they drawn I think they would have been in the play-offs.
    Nope a draw wasn't good enough with Sunderland winning
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    The year we went up in 81 didn't Sheff Utd go down on GD to Walsall...ooops just checked it was 1 point. Amazing Rotherham won the league with what would be now 85 points.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Got that wrong then!!
  • Options
    19/20 we were relegated when Barnsley scored a last minute winner against Brentford (having scored a last minute goal against Forest the game before) to survive. Up to that point Barnsley had been in the relegation zone since September and got out in injury time of their final game. Bastards.
    20/21 we missed out on the Play-Offs on goal difference to Oxford. There were plenty of moments you could point to along the way that were of our own making, including Stockley missing a penalty against Peterborough and us conceding a 96th minute equaliser against Crewe but the one that stands out the most is poor old Ronnie Schwarz missing a last minute penalty against Oxford, which probably would have given us enough of a cushion.
    And these happened to us just in the last few years. What a life.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:
    Got that wrong then!!
    You got that correct though!
  • Options
    Jon Fortune, a lifetime of happiness for those there.
  • Options
    Ah yes, what a difference a goal makes. 

Many a time I've watched a game that would've ended 0-0 if it wasn't for one team or the other scoring and getting a 1-0 win. You just can't legislate for that.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Jon Fortune, a lifetime of happiness for those there.
    Happy days. We had no idea how things would turn out as we sang,  'We'll never play you again".
    That day has allowed me putting up with all the rubbish since.
    Dennis in the last minute was not a bad day/night out either!