Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

3 days to go

edited August 2007 in Not Sports Related
Until my map test with the PCO and I am now starting to get bleeding nervous. Not normally a nervous person but this is big time stuff - rest of my life all hinging on this in a way - been cramming in the revision big time but starting to feel like i know sod all.

Thursday 8.30am is the big day

Then I'm off work for 12 days for a holiday so hopefully go away happy.

Anyway got any tips on how to sleep with so much going on in my head LOL

Comments

• Listen to some nice soothing classical music when you go to bed. That will relax your mind. If you haven't got an iPod, get one. A shuffle will do the job. That's how I get off when I've got things on my mind.
  • Good luck mate!
  • All the best Ledge, no point in trying not to be nervous cos it will make you even more so. As for sleeping gotta be Night Nurse, but not the day before the test.
  • All the best Arf. Please let us know how you get on
  • hope you win man. all the best
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite] A shuffle will do the job. That's how I get off when I've got things on my mind.

Dickie, please bare in mind that this is a family site
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]A shuffle will do the job. That's how I get off when I've got things on my mind.

Dickie, please bare in mind that this is a family site

LOL...No Dan, it's more of a community site than a family site.
  • care in the community more like! ;-)
  • Good luck Ledge!
  • You need to turn the nerves to your advantage, Ledge. I failed my driving test miserably three times and was convinced I was never going to pass until I bumped into an old school teacher of mine and mentioned my dread at the pending fourth driving test which I HAD to pass (because I was emigrating to Oz the next day).

He told me something simple but brilliant, "Don't look at it like THEY are testing YOU," he said, "Look at it as a chance to show THEM what YOU can do, turn it into a positive."

From then on I looked at it differently and passed easily because I had shifted the weight of expectation from a negative approach "I can't make a mistake" to a positive one of wanting to grab the chance to show what I had learnt and what I could do.

I know it sounds like Dr Phil psycho-babble but it has worked for me in others tests and exams I have done since so there may be something in it.

Good Luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good call Ormiston. What a great piece of advice.

Good luck Ledge
  • good shout Ormy - i'll take that on board.
  • before you go to bed,sit in a quiet place and breath in through your nose to the count of five then breath out the same to the count of ten,do this for ten minutes at least,you will sleep very well,also breath in throgh your stomach not chest.
  • Well the mighty Ledge has done it - passed the map test so on my way all that hard work paid off.

Now 3 points for the mighty reds today
  • Congrats mate. Enjoy your well earned rest.
  • Funny that. I passed 4th time too.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Funny that. I passed 4th time too.

4th time - what you talking about - 1st and only time
  • Congrats ledge,now yor on holiday its time to drive to swindon ;-)
  • MAP TEST - Passed

Just had my 1st "56" appearance and got a lovely "B" and 4 points towards my 12 points needed and another toe out of this hellhole.

To explain

After map test you go onto "appearances" which initially are every 56 days , hence they are called 56's, and you sit in front of a knowledge of london examiner and he/she can ask you 4/5 runs. These can be anything in London and you then have to tell him/her how you going to do it naming all the roads in the process. ie Grosvenor Sq to Canary Wharf ( i actually got asked this). They will pen your run out on a map and it has to be as straight a line as possible (all the runs) and this obviosuly determines your score.

A (6 points) ,B (4 points),C's (3 points) are scoring appearances and you have to get 12 points to move onto next stage which is 28's and then 21's until you pass.
  • I didn't realise it was that technical! well done for passing, and good luck for the 56's!

how many 56 tests do you get then? as many as it takes to get 12?
  • Sponsored links:

• yeah basically got to get 12 points
  • so you could only have to do it twice, but you could also have to do it 50 times till you get them or is there some kinda limit?
  • There is a limit not sure what yet but I have no intention of finding out anyway.
  • Well done mate.
  • good work, arf.
  • Congrats Ledge!
  • Will you take me home from the Venue when i ask please?

Well done Arf.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Funny that. I passed 4th time too.

4th time - what you talking about - 1st and only time

I was referring to Ormiston addick.