Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham Town vs Charlton Athletic | Sunday 7th May 2023 - 12noon KO | Match Preview

Cheltenham Town vs Charlton Athletic
Sunday 7th May 2023 - 12noon Kick-Off
Referee: Tom Nield

Introduction
Its time to sign off for another season... Forty Five games played... One to go, and very little progress made

Those looking for a straw to cling to will be delighted to know that we've at least moved forward in the League table, its not been the fight for the top six but progress has been made, albeit at the speed of the Kings Coronation - More goals have been scored this season, however we've equally conceded more... If we want to truly impose ourselves on the top six next term then we must cut out the latter and improve even further on the former. We visit Cheltenham Town this coming Sunday lunchtime... Another season confined to the History books, and gone with a whimper.

The Opposition
Name: Cheltenham Town (15th) | Manager: Wade Elliott
Ground: Whaddon Road
Previous League Result: Wycombe 0-3 Cheltenham

Its been an impressive second season for the Robins... A sluggish start to this campaign was always understandable given the need to replace their Manager. Yet our opponents have once again gone about their business in solid fashion, and will be rather pleased to see fellow Gloucestershire rivals: Forest Green Rovers making an instant return to League Two.

The Addicks travel to Cheltenham this Saturday, with the hosts in good form, they've lost just twice in their last twelve, moving from the relegation battle into a comfortable mid-table slot. Meaning that this game is pretty meaningless all round for both sides going into tomorrows game - The visitors will certainly be looking to record a first victory over Cheltenham, having never been rewarded with all three points, in three League attempts - Understandably, we'll need to watch out for Alfie May, the Gravesend born Striker started this campaign slowly (just the one goal in his first seven games), but will looking to add to his 21-goals before departing the club in the summer.

How Cheltenham do without their talisman next season, that'll be their biggest challenge.

Charlton Team News
Fans were rocked by the shocking news to come from Sparrows Lane in many a year the other day - We learnt that key players to our season would be left out of the trip to Cheltenham this Sunday, how we cope without the services of Macauley Bonne, Matt Penney and Gavin Kilkenny is anyone's guess... But the three January signings have all had their time in SE7 ended early.

Elsewhere and Dean Holden has hinted that Ryan Inniss will return to the team this Saturday (after serving his latest suspension), which'll add to the possibility of the Centre-Back being here next season - George Dobson on the other hand could well be rested for this last fixture, ensuring that he avoids any suspension next season.

Maynard-Brewer
Sessegnon - Hector - Inniss - Thomas
Morgan - Henry - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Mitchell - Kane - Egbo - Kanu - Payne - Rylah

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Expecting another kick in the bollocks from this inconsistant, bottle job of a football team to rally us into a summer of endless takeover bullshit.

2-1 to the Chelts(?)
  • Options
    Thanks FA for the previews.

Cheltenham without May will be significantly weaker next season, he'll be really hard to replace. 
  • Options
    Yeah, great previews every week. Look forward to these so thanks. Always want us to win but won't care if we lose really. Just be glad to end the season. Will it be better next season? Please let it be.
  • Options
    As I said on another thread, we need a draw to make sure of 10th. Shrews and Lincoln are two points behind with worse goal average, and they play each other 
  • Options
    Sadly, I am not that bothered about this. No Dobson, no passion, no victory. 3 - 0 defeat predicted. Roll on next season! Have a good Summer everyone.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Very few positives this season. At least Rak Sakyi has been good and at least he has played a full season. If Leaburn leaves he will have played less games? Watch the future stars of tomorrow at the Valley before they leave. This looks to be coming true. Cheltenham will win again and I am sure it will be one last poor performance to go with it. Another season in League 1, so disappointing. 2-0 Cheltenham.
  • Options
    Play the kids as much as possible 

Kanu, leaburn, Rylah, Campbell, Mitchell & Henry. Let’s see what they have to offer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Without Dobson that midfield suddenly looks very weak.
  • Options
    Without Dobson that midfield suddenly looks very weak.
    Expect to lose without Dobbo, although I wouldn't play him & risk a suspension.
  • Options
    Whoops... Just realised I put the wrong KO time

Its at 12noon, rather than at 12:30pm
  • Options
    Just tuned in for a quick glance at the post match thread only to realise the futile torture of this season is still not over. 
  • Options
    We are going to end the season with a good win going for 3-1 to the mighty CAFC
    Come On You Reds  B)
  • Options
    Not sure why we are playing Sess or JRS when we could be giving Mitchell and Kanu league time.
  • Options
    The most recent and sick example of the rot that has infested our club is Alfie May. Ex Vickers Crayford Dartford (VCD) and Erith and Belvedere player. 5th highest scorer in our league for a team lower than ours. Taken from under our nose . Scouts should be sacked. 

I said in the summer if we had any ambition we would buy Cole Stockton (scored 1st goal against us recently) and Alfie May. We would be in the play offs if we bought both. 

However Saangaard and his lickspittles thought better. 

I am right, those imbeciles are wrong. Proven. Fact 

Put money on am.
    May to score first. Easy money 💰 hi

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 win for us today I’ll be there 
  • Options
    Going to this . Think Aaron Henry should be given another start. If Morgan starts we lose. Hoping for some real effort and enthusiasm from the team. Let’s finish with a flourish.
  • Options
    With the midfield exposed in the absence of Dobbo I suspect we’ll struggle. 
    Would settle for a draw. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Cheltenham v Charlton
    Two teams ........ two words ....... who cares.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Sage said:
    Well done @ForeverAddickted on the consistent performances this season, even picking up my slack!

As much as Henry would be the obvious choice to play instead of Dobson, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mitchell start in the defensive midfield role. It allows us to drop to a 5 if we really need to, and he has the ability to play in that midfield role. In fact, his stature (how he plays and moves) is very similar to Dobson and could be just what we need in his absence.

I think with Clare out, Egbo comes in, it’s only right when he is a right back and is our player.

With this in mind, I would like to see…

Maynard-Brewer
    Egbo - Inniss - Hector - Sessegnon
    Mitchell
    Morgan - Fraser

Wollacott, Kane, Thomas, Henry, Payne, Rylah, Kanu
    Yes, I think that would be what I might go for too. Maybe Thomas instead of Inniss. Wollacott might deserve a game for showing he is a team player too.
  • Options
    Cheers @Sage... thanks for your support with the midweek games.

It'll be interesting to see who the Seventh sub will be, we've both selected Rylah, yet my reasoning was down to his recent Contract.

There will be others more Senior in the U21s equally hoping for the spot
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Well done @ForeverAddickted on the consistent performances this season, even picking up my slack!

As much as Henry would be the obvious choice to play instead of Dobson, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mitchell start in the defensive midfield role. It allows us to drop to a 5 if we really need to, and he has the ability to play in that midfield role. In fact, his stature (how he plays and moves) is very similar to Dobson and could be just what we need in his absence.

I think with Clare out, Egbo comes in, it’s only right when he is a right back and is our player.

Maynard-Brewer
    Mitchell
    Morgan - Fraser

Yes, I think that would be what I might go for too. Maybe Thomas instead of Inniss. Wollacott might deserve a game for showing he is a team player too.
    5 or 6 of that 11 won’t be here next season .  Back to the drawing board.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Maynard-Brewer
    Mitchell
    Morgan - Fraser

Think Inniss is more likely to get a new contract than Thomas and although I agree about Wollacott, it happens a lot at last game of season, Holden will be conscious of Maynard-Brewer’s confidence and hoping he finishes with a clean sheet.