Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New EFL Sky deal from 2024/25

2»

Comments

• Options
    msomerton said:
    Does anyone really want to watch that much EFL? I barely watch anything other than the play off games
    It is about overseas viewing and gambling. The coverage is not there for league 1 and 2 football fans. Sky would not make money on the deal if they relied on UK football fans,
    Isn’t this just a U.K. rights deal?
  • Options
    How much do we stand to make out of this deal?
  • Options
    I believe so, but happy to be corrected. I have never heard of the EFL trumpeting overseas wrights to broadcast sales.  I assumed that is why clubs can stream games to overseas subscribers with out restriction.
  • Options
    Must mean no more 3pm kick offs on opening day or final day of the season if Sky get the go ahead to broadcast every game.
    I don't think they are 3pm kick offs on the Final Day. It's been 12/1230 kick off for years now.

You may be right about opening day though. 

So please correct me if this is not possible...but part of me wonders if this is Sky hedging their bets on the 3pm blackout being lifted. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Do Sky sell the foreign rights then?

I don't believe so. ESPN has the rights over here. It may be that ESPN pays Sky to use their feed/cameras, so like the stuff that's used to show the games themselves, but not the rights to show the games, if that makes sense. 
  • Options
    So how much more money will we get pa?
  • Options
    Surely there can’t be many people watching these EFL games and if they make it inconvenient for fans to attend by switching the kick offs then there won’t be as many in the stadiums. These tv deals need to include giving something back to fans in the form of cheaper tickets or subsidies for travel. Without the fans there is no tv product to sell and the golden goose English football enjoys is well and truly cooked.
  • Options
     It's a good question and one that could have huge implications for this sodding takeover.
    Much has been made of match day revenue and breaking even.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I believe the deal was always something like

Championship is 50%
    League One is 30%
    League Two is 20%

If that is correct, per year it means

Championship club = £3.89mil
    League One club = £2.33mil
    League Two = £1.55mil

This may not be the case anymore or numbers slightly out.
  • Options
     It's a good question and one that could have huge implications for this sodding takeover.
    Much has been made of match day revenue and breaking even.
    But if everyone gets it it will only act as an inflationary leaver on players wages. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Sage said:
    I believe the deal was always something like

Championship is 50%
    League One is 30%
    League Two is 20%

If that is correct, per year it means

Championship club = £3.89mil
    League One club = £2.33mil
    League Two = £1.55mil

This may not be the case anymore or numbers slightly out.
    That seems low for the Championship, unless it’s only part of the money they receive?

I had £6m in my head, this link suggests £7m. Perhaps this is an increase on the £2.5m which would make sense.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/championship-tv-money-explained-sheffield-21156531.amp

Club's not in receipt of parachute payments receive around £4.5m from the Premier League, meaning United will not see anything of this.

However, the club's coffers will be boosted at the end of the season to the tune of £2.5m from the EFL.

• Options
    There was also talk of the PL payment doubling though if it’s for next season that’s not part of this deal for 24/25 onwards.

• Options
    Surely there can’t be many people watching these EFL games and if they make it inconvenient for fans to attend by switching the kick offs then there won’t be as many in the stadiums. These tv deals need to include giving something back to fans in the form of cheaper tickets or subsidies for travel. Without the fans there is no tv product to sell and the golden goose English football enjoys is well and truly cooked.
    It is the clubs who could do that with the increase but the clubs choose not to. 
  • Options
    Why not just play the games at 3:00pm if you want to get people into the stadium!

How does switching kick off times help anybody? 
  • Options
    Why not just play the games at 3:00pm if you want to get people into the stadium!

Because the 5 million solidarity payment is the equivalent of about 10k paying fans per home game.  

You can't make up the TV revenue by getting "bums on seats".  

As wrong as it is, you have little choice but to agree to what ever SKY tell you to do, even if it shaves a few grand off the attendance.  It's not right but it is how it is. 
  • Options
    It's not SKY that want the games at midday.
     I think they would prefer to show them at 3:00 on Saturday afternoon if they were allowed to!
  • Options
    It's not SKY that want the games at midday.
     I think they would prefer to show them at 3:00 on Saturday afternoon if they were allowed to!
    Well they are the ones that move them
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Because the 5 million solidarity payment is the equivalent of about 10k paying fans per home game.  

As wrong as it is, you have little choice but to agree to what ever SKY tell you to do, even if it shaves a few grand off the attendance.  It's not right but it is how it is. 
    Right, this is an example of the EFL catching up to the Premier League 25 years later. The TV money so greatly outweighs the match day revenue money. 

I hope this makes running an EFL club more sustainable. The wages have ballooned at the lower levels, but the revenue has not caught up (I don't fault the players, they still get paid pennies compared to those at clubs higher up the pyramid). But I don't know if there are many, if any, League One and League Two clubs that break even. Certainly none that can compete at the top of the league (this is also true in the Championship). And with interest rates rising, money isn't free to borrow anymore. Add to that the fact that there are only so many nation-states looking to sportswash, and the fact that there is greater scrutiny on sportswashing/money laundering, and you start to run out of people who want to pay 10m quid for the privilege of having your team go away to Fleetwood, Blackpool, and Morecambe every season. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Right, this is an example of the EFL catching up to the Premier League 25 years later. The TV money so greatly outweighs the match day revenue money. 

I hope this makes running an EFL club more sustainable. The wages have ballooned at the lower levels, but the revenue has not caught up (I don't fault the players, they still get paid pennies compared to those at clubs higher up the pyramid). But I don't know if there are many, if any, League One and League Two clubs that break even. Certainly none that can compete at the top of the league (this is also true in the Championship). And with interest rates rising, money isn't free to borrow anymore. Add to that the fact that there are only so many nation-states looking to sportswash, and the fact that there is greater scrutiny on sportswashing/money laundering, and you start to run out of people who want to pay 10m quid for the privilege of having your team go away to Fleetwood, Blackpool, and Morecambe every season. 
    But they get paid very nicely when compared to the average worker.

A bog standard L1 player on £4k a week earns over £200k a year, which is a very generous sum of money.
  • Options
    International Fans will be able to continue watching Charlton home and away from next Season provided that we're not being broadcasted exclusively...

They'll also be able to watch the League Cup 1st Round match, which is new for streaming.

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/march/05/efl-agrees-innovative-new-international-tv-rights-deals/

EFL Clubs have today approved new international TV rights deals, in partnership with Pitch International and Relevent Sports, that will showcase and promote EFL competitions across the globe for the next four years.

Record International Fees The deals represent record guaranteed international rights fees for EFL clubs and the new arrangements mean the League will be represented by two different agencies operating across global TV markets until the end of the 2027/28 season.

Pitch International will distribute EFL rights in Europe, MENA and rest of world regions, continuing the long-standing relationship which has been in place for 15 years.

In a new partnership for the EFL, sports and media rights agency Relevent Sports will become the distribution partner throughout North, Central and South America and will work with the EFL to build member clubs’ profile in this key region via a dedicated marketing partnership.

The rights of each deal will see Pitch distribute 155 exclusive Sky Bet Championship matches, 38 League One and Two matches, all Play-Off matches, all Carabao Cup matches and three Bristol Street Motor Trophy matches, alongside a more comprehensive package of rights for betting platforms.

For the Americas, Relevent Sports has the ability to sell all Sky Bet EFL matches, all Play-Off matches, all Carabao Cup matches and three Bristol Street Motors Trophy matches. Additionally, Relevent will have all betting rights throughout the US.

As part of the new agreements, EFL clubs will be able to continue international streaming services direct to fans overseas, where matches are not being broadcast exclusively, enabling those based abroad the chance to watch their team’s matches throughout the whole season.