Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

North Coast 500

Has anyone done this route in Scotland? I'm thinking of doing it next year but accommodation looks challenging. Any experts on motorhomes?

Comments

• Options
    Quite a few companies offer multi day cycling tours on this route. Might be worth checking out where their stop over points are as it is generally a 5/7 day trip including accommodation.
  • Options
    Did it a couple of years ago but in a car. Good luck with a motor home, some of the roads we were on were almost single file. It is a fantastic drive and the scenery / beaches are fantastic. We went off route a few times and did almost 1000 miles. You will enjoy it if you go 👍 
  • Options
    Visited the Highlands quite a few times, and have driven some of this route. Alot of the pot holes in recent years are huge, seen a few cars pulled over with wrecked tyres. The single track with passing places, I always move over for the locals who drive twice as quick. They've created the route, but not really invested in the infrastructure. Cheshireaddick is right, the scenery is fantastic just be prepared for some slow progress in places.
  • Options
    One of the incident's we came across on the route

• Options
    just done a West Coast 500. Didn’t think the roads were any worse than here in East Sussex, probably better in fact, even the single roads with passing places, except on Skye where they were worse. We passed plenty of motor homes on the roads but not sure I’d do it in one. 
  • Options
    Yes, did it in 2019.  Lovely drive with some great views and beaches. We went in September though, and most places were closing down for the winter already.  

We started in Cromarty (after flying up to Inverness and hiring a car), then on to Thirsk, across to Tongue, then down the west coast to Ullapool, before hopping over to Skye. Then it was back across country to Loch Ness, and then to Inverness to fly home again.

I can dig out the accommodation we used if you DM me? Some was B&B and some hotels, plus a wonderful lighthouse near Gairloch.

The roads can be narrow and you have to get used to using the passing places sensibly (some foreign drivers failed to get the concept and were always having to reverse!). I have to say I wouldn't want to do it in a motorhome, but friends of mine did it in a VW camper and that looks much more viable to me...

The boat trips had mostly finished by the time we went, so we could not get over to Cape Wrath, or on any of the loch trips either sadly.

Good luck with the planning!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Yes, did it in 2019.  Lovely drive with some great views and beaches. We went in September though, and most places were closing down for the winter already.  

We started in Cromarty (after flying up to Inverness and hiring a car), then on to Thirsk, across to Tongue, then down the west coast to Ullapool, before hopping over to Skye. Then it was back across country to Loch Ness, and then to Inverness to fly home again.

I can dig out the accommodation we used if you DM me? Some was B&B and some hotels, plus a wonderful lighthouse near Gairloch.

The roads can be narrow and you have to get used to using the passing places sensibly (some foreign drivers failed to get the concept and were always having to reverse!). I have to say I wouldn't want to do it in a motorhome, but friends of mine did it in a VW camper and that looks much more viable to me...

The boat trips had mostly finished by the time we went, so we could not get over to Cape Wrath, or on any of the loch trips either sadly.

Good luck with the planning!
    Sounds good. More tempted by a VW camper than a motorhome given the roads.I'm used to single track roads and have done part of the route before.
  • Options
    @Weegie Addick is the expert on all things touring majestic Scotland