Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where to watch the marathon?

Only been Greenwich / Cutty Sark before and while it’s  local, I’ve found that early in the route the bulk of the runners are still so compact it’s a bit overwhelming and hard to see individuals. So thinking of getting train up town, but with walkway closures etc, no idea of good areas to go.

Any advice from those who go?

Comments

• Options
    I'm going rose of Denmark, always few down there, shame weather's going to be shit
  • Options
    Only been Greenwich / Cutty Sark before and while it’s  local, I’ve found that early in the route the bulk of the runners are still so compact it’s a bit overwhelming and hard to see individuals. So thinking of getting train up town, but with walkway closures etc, no idea of good areas to go.

If you want the field spread out more get onto the Isle of Dogs somewhere.
  • Options
    My parents when they watched me years ago, saw me off from Blackheath

They then travelled down into Greenwich (was packed with spectators apparently) via. the Park, before walking under the Thames and watching from around Island Gardens etc

Because it meant they then had the DLR / tube network local to be able to reach me at the Finish.

So Isle of Dogs might not be a bad area, as dont recall the sides of the road being too crowded
  • Options
    Watch them go through Greenwich then hop on DLR to Mudchute if memory serves me correctly 
  • Options

Go to Mudchute, right next to the DLR station 
  • Options
    Anywhere along the north side of London Bridge between the old fish market and the footbridge over to the globe.
  • Options
    Thanks all
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    After after 30 years …. Why.  Batman an a bloke in an Elephant suit, funny first couple years. Now……
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Highway/Limehouse (southside) to watch them at half wayish and then a short walk to butchers row to watch them on the way back
    Or head toward the hung drawn and quartered for the way back 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bermondsey ish just before half way at Tower Bridge. The runners are well spread, its before half way so most of the runners are still sort of enjoying themselves, and the crowds are good but no-where near "Greenwich" rammed...
  • Options
    Last year my Mrs saw my at Charlton and then around mile 12, before meeting me at the end. Good luck to anyone else that's doing it. 
  • Options
    go Canary Wharf or Limehouse.
  • Options
    I'd avoid Greenwich town centre if possible Large black fencing screens were put in place yesterday on the corners of Nelson rd/King William walk. For what reason i don't know.
  • Options
    Yeah, when my now ex, then wife ran the London marathon a few times (good for her age, despite being 20 years younger than me) we watched at the end of our road (about 5 miles in), then hopped on the train to Greenwich (from weatcombe oark), watch her go the rough Greenwich of the trains were working well, then got on the DLR to Canary Wharf, you can have early lunch at the local restaurant, we used to go to the Parlour, and then see people come past twice at miles 14 and 18 (I'm guessing the last one as we didn't do it every time) but there is definitely a switch back.

then one time we tried to go to the finish, complete nightmare, as everyone is trying to get through Westminster station and get a view, we went to the pub she was going to with her running buddies after that miserable experience. The split pub by Charing Cross if I remember correctly.....

Ship and shovel, had to look the name up. Some decent running clubs went there as I recall. 

That's the best I've got without looking up the current route to assess whether the 14/18!mile switch back still works, used to be at the 15 mile mark there was a steel band outside the Canary Wharf station on the way to the lunch place 😁.

If you are looking to pick up a runner the most amount of times, this takes some beating, possibly London Bridge and the long tedious road that runs into tower bridge, the hwy, never found London Bridge worked for me as too full of people chances of catching your runners attention fairly limited at best even if you agree where you will be in advance: 

if you don't let your runner know where you will be, unless you have a loud drum/signage, they will inevitably run past on the other side of the road from where you are at. The individual tracker helps with this as you k ow when your runners are coming through and increase the already high noise levels....

of I was ever to run a marathon, London would be my favourite the support you get round the course is incredible....

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Yeah much more succinct post of what I said. I'd go Canary Wharf....
  • Options
    After after 30 years …. Why.  Batman an a bloke in an Elephant suit, funny first couple years. Now……

Why not!

All the fun runners raising thousands of pounds for good causes, elite runners aiming for a personal best time and the spotlight on London as we host our own event much like New York etc.

Its not held to be funny or for laughs 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Yeah much more succinct post of what I said. I'd go Canary Wharf....
    When I ran it back in 2016, my wife, daughter, parents and in-laws and bro/sis-in-laws were all waiting on the corner of the KPMG building.  I got absolutely mobbed.  Bloody awesome hugs/hair ruffling for about 20 seconds before I pulled myself away as they wasn't letting go!

Thats the beauty of the DLR for the marathon.  Do Cutty Sark for 10k point, although mobbed very very early, DLR over to CW, then get back over to Tower Gateway for 17/18 miles then district line down to the finish.

When I was marshalling at Cutty Sark, we were on our marks at 7:30 and the crowds are forming by 8.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billyboy said:
    I'm going rose of Denmark, always few down there, shame weather's going to be shit

I've had an interest in the race for the last two runnings!

For both the boys' runs we started at the Rose which has an excellent atmosphere, then on to Canary Wharf which gets very busty but there are good vantage points - and the bars and food places are plentiful. Then over to the finish. But if there's just one place to view it then I would say Canary Wharf.
  • Options
    What has happened to the general Joe Public coverage?

• Options
    Saw Mo this morning - watching near the Valley..
  • Options
    Some great finishes today 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Some great finishes today 

Sifan Hassan - remarkable performance.