Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Morecambe | Saturday 22nd April 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Morecambe
Saturday 22nd April 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: David Rock

Introduction
Charlton really have shown their Jekyll and Hyde personalities this last week - In Suffolk a week ago, the Addicks were subject to their heaviest defeat at this level for the first time since 1921. The Addicks bounced back in Buckinghamshire with a simple 1-0 victory over Milton Keynes, which whilst nothing special confirmed our League One status for the 2023-24 season... What a time to be alive.

The Opposition
Name: Morecambe (22nd) | Manager: Derek Adams
Ground: Mazuma Stadium
Previous League Result: Morecambe 1-0 Wycombe

Twelve months ago, and Morecambe perhaps surprised the whole of League One by putting up a staunch fight to ensure that their fans would get to enjoy back to back campaigns at this level - The goals of Cole Stockton, 23 of them in the League, helped ensure... a 3-2 win at the Valley, their last win of the 2022-23 season, the cruical result in their safety.

Fast forward a year, and these two teams meet again around the same time of the season, however hopes of a third season in League One appear to be fading fast... Cole Stockton has managed just four league goals (evidence as to why no club took a punt on him in the summer). To make matters worse, two of the three sides above them in the League, have the benefit of a game in hand - Morecambe's Goal Difference, means that defeat in SE7 on the weekend, whilst victory for Oxford, Cambridge and Milton Keynes will see the Shrimps all but relegated, only a mathematical miracle could save them.

Charlton Team News
Sean Clare made a return to the defence in Buckinghamshire, partly because of the lack of game time that both Egbo and Kane have managed to enjoy this season - Minutes had to be managed so its possible we could see a complete change in our Full-Backs for tomorrows clash... Ryan Inniss is of course suspended until the final day of the season, so you'd expect to see Terrell Thomas in the centre of defence, rather than at Left-Back where we've grown accustomed seeing him of late.

Jack Payne on the other hand not only stepped up in place of the injured Tyreece Campbell, but also bagged himself the sole and winning goal against Milton Keynes on Tuesday - As a result you'd expect the Midfield and Attack to remain the same, regardless of whether Macauley Bonne makes a return to the team, after serving his "punishment".

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Hector - Thomas - Kane
Morgan - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Payne

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Mitchell - Egbo - Sessegnon - Henry - Kanu - Kilkenny

Comments

• Options
    Pretty sure that is how we will line up. Morecambe have to win so it will make it a bit more interesting. Another home win. Perhaps not a lot of goals. 2-1. Leaburn and Rak Saki. Only two more after this then summer 🌞
  • Options
    Morecombe can be relegated tomorrow .. so they have to win .. suppose the question is will they give a go hopefully leaving space for us to break away in or will they play 10 men behind the ball and hood to get 1-0 ???
    Interesting that suddenly Stockton been recalled after basically being left out for the whole season .

Expect a win tomorrow but it may not be as simple as perhaps it looks on paper 
  • Options
    It will be bit easier if we score first. Whatever others say I don't trust Cole Stockton, I expect him to score.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    0-7 (Jekyll)
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    2-1 morecambe
  • Options
    Morecombe can be relegated tomorrow .. so they have to win .. suppose the question is will they give a go hopefully leaving space for us to break away in or will they play 10 men behind the ball and hood to get 1-0 ???
    Interesting that suddenly Stockton been recalled after basically being left out for the whole season .

Expect a win tomorrow but it may not be as simple as perhaps it looks on paper 

Stockton has been playing, just not very effectively. 

A classic case of where the club would have been slaughtered by the fans if they cashed in last summer, but now everyone wishes they had 😁
  • Options
    Comfortable in the end after a tricky game, 3-1.
  • Options
    They have to win.
    We won't give a shit.

Hmmmmmmm!

1-2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taking two grandchildren for the first time in three years. One has followed his father over to the dark side (M******l) so I hope he can be shown the error of his ways 
  • Options
    Which Charlton will turn up? Stockton was the difference last season and despite his lack of goals would expect a repeat tomorrow. 1-0 Morcambe.
  • Options
    It's not going to be a easy one for us Morecambe will be fighting for their life 
    But we should be winning this one
    going for a good 3-0 win to the mighty CAFC
    Come On You Reds  B)
  • Options
    Who knows what we’ll get but Morecambe should be fighting for their lives 
  • Options
    I’m not going or watching on CATV today. Last Saturdays debacle was this final straw for me on this season. But, as usual, I wish the lads all the best and we should win, shouldn’t we? 
  • Options
    The buzz , feel good factor and glow surrounding our club is as good as it ever was ….. can’t wait to switch Charlton Tv on and get my afternoon nap .
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I'm going to Canterbury to watch the cricket.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Chunes said:
    With Kent effectively already 3-0 down! 
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    0-7 (Jekyll)
    Hyde, Jekyll was the good guy.
  • Options
    Taking two grandchildren for the first time in three years. One has followed his father over to the dark side (M******l) so I hope he can be shown the error of his ways 
    It will cost you a fortune having to take them up to Morecambe all the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    With Kent effectively already 3-0 down! 
    There's no escaping sports misery. 
  • Options
    Wow looks like we are in for a bumper crowd going by some of the post on here I better get there early to make sure I get my seat
    Unbelievable 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    The buzz , feel good factor and glow surrounding our club is as good as it ever was ….. can’t wait to switch Charlton Tv on and get my afternoon nap .
    And it's goodnight from him & goodnight from me 
  • Options
    A high stakes game for Morecambe. If we approach it professionally and ruthlessly, we should edge it by a couple of goals, but this will be a good ‘hunger’ test. Albie has three more games to prove he can be consistent and add value in a promotion chasing side (only for Deano to decide he doesn’t pass the height test…)

Make me happy
    Through the years
    Never bring me
    Any tears 

Sorry Morecambe, 2-1 to Charlton and good luck next season as all chase Wrexham!
  • Options
    Woke up this morning and for the first time ever I just can’t be arsed to drag myself down there, kids have got other stuff on so I’m actually giving it a swerve.

Got plenty of other stuff I could be doing at home

sad times…never envisaged doing that 
  • Options
    Reckon us dyed in the wool loyals going today deserve 100 loyalty points so we get tickets for Orient away next season.
  • Options
    Only going today to see my mate and because I have something better to do next week so this is my last game of the season. Already know I'm leaving the game early because of the trains and don't care. Sad really.
  • Options
    I'll be watching Horsham Vs Brightlingsea today so will follow the match thread 
  • Options
    Says in the paper Morecambe haven't won away for 16 matches.

Will be on a par with last Saturday if we don't extend that run.