Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players clapping supporters.

In my time watching football we seem to have gone through an evolution of players clapping supporters, whether at home or away. 

1. 70's / Early 80's. Very little. The full time whistle blew and the players ran straight down the tunnel.
2. Late 80's / 90's. A bit more. The full time whistle blew and the players would acknowledge away fans from a distance or clap home fans gently as they went down the tunnel.
3. 2000 - 2020. A more concerted effort, with a pause and coordinated acknowledgement before going down the tunnel.
4. Post Covid?  Almost a lap of honour / time taken to acknowledge fans, whether home or away, with shirts being given away to rapturous applause and appreciation. 

Of course, point 4 has its issues if you put on a display like Ipswich, as the players felt obliged to stand still and clap whilst taking dog's abuse. If they had done what many fans were shouting and f*cked off they'd then have been criticised for not showing appreciation. 

I don't think there's any going back now, but I have to say I preferred 2 or 3, when it was less co-ordinated and perhaps more authentic, and you could be in your car / on the train much quicker...

Comments

• Options
    In my time watching football we seem to have gone through an evolution of players clapping supporters, whether at home or away. 

1. 70's / Early 80's. Very little. The full time whistle blew and the players ran straight down the tunnel.
    2. Late 80's / 90's. A bit more. The full time whistle blew and the players would acknowledge away fans from a distance or clap home fans gently as they went down the tunnel.
    3. 2000 - 2020. A more concerted effort, with a pause and coordinated acknowledgement before going down the tunnel.
    4. Post Covid?  Almost a lap of honour / time taken to acknowledge fans, whether home or away, with shirts being given away to rapturous applause and appreciation. 

Of course, point 4 has its issues if you put on a display like Ipswich, as the players felt obliged to stand still and clap whilst taking dog's abuse. If they had done what many fans were shouting and f*cked off they'd then have been criticised for not showing appreciation. 

I don't think there's any going back now, but I have to say I preferred 2 or 3, when it was less co-ordinated and perhaps more authentic, and you could be in your car / on the train much quicker...

I agree.

Should really only be left for big events or supporters travelling large distances during the week. 

Coming over to clap the fans after a 6-0 drubbing & most fans only having to travel 90 mins up the A12. No clue.

Better saving it for the 2-1 win at Donny in the play off 1st leg. Much more appreciative & well meaning on both sides.
  • Options
    Or you can go full Liverpool for their draw vs West Brom in Klopp’s first game at Anfield…
  • Options

I agree.

Should really only be left for big events or supporters travelling large distances during the week. 

Coming over to clap the fans after a 6-0 drubbing & most fans only having to travel 90 mins up the A12. No clue.

Better saving it for the 2-1 win at Donny in the play off 1st leg. Much more appreciative & well meaning on both sides.
    I hate the clapping thing, it's weird. Not so much the clapping itself but the fact players now have to clap the fans or all hell breaks loose. Spent 90 minutes with your own fans screaming abuse at you and then lost the match? You'd better get over there at the end and thank the fans for calling you a prick all game or social media will string you up for the fact you 'couldn't even acknowledge the fans'. It's pantomime, but a pantomime where if you don't bow at the end the audience screams about what a bastard you are. It's a nice thing for players to do, I'm sure fans appreciate it, especially for long journeys as you say but the fact it's required is very, very strange.
  • Options
    It’s all utter fake baloney. Very few of the players give a sh*t, they’re all coaxed to. 

If your team has lost then none of them want to do it as it’s cringe but the manager says it’s important as they’ve paid their money and he gets good mileage out of making the fans think they’re valued. As they stand they’re gormlessly staring and doing that gentle clap / pray nonsense waiting for the manager to turn and walk towards the tunnel so they can all scarper. 

And if we win, ooh then make sure the club Comms team are there quickly on the pitch to gather the footage, wait till the camera is on you and step forward and give a few fist pumps or badge kisses. Then the comms team milk footage for 3 days of hits. 

The fans fall for it and lap it up and everyone says what a great connection there is between fans and players. Until the next time the lose that is, when they all revert to being utter w***ers. 

Bring back the 80/90s clap / thumbs up from the halfway line before scampering down the tunnel. 

I hate football 
    I think you have nailed it.
  • Options
    As players get slated if they go straight down the tunnel, it's hardly surprising that they come over to clap the supporters, and then give those vox pop clips about how they appreciate the support followed by "Up the Addicks" to show they are proper Charlton  :D
  • Options
    I don't give a shit if they perform a choreographed dance routine. These days, by the time the ref has blown the final whistle I'm motoring up the A2, heading home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's one of those things that seems like a good idea until it becomes the norm then you realise a) just how pointless it is b) once started, there's no getting out of it. Plus, let's be honest about this, whilst we occasionally put on some brilliant support for the most part it's not really clap-worthy anyway. I wish they'd drop it.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I’d rather they came over and fronted out the support and Nescafé’d us off ✊ , fuck it , hate em all and all our fans , load of old wank 
  • Options
    The ultimate crime not clapping the fans at the end. Love seeing the opposition getting booed by their own at full-time. 
  • Options
    It’s all utter fake baloney. Very few of the players give a sh*t, they’re all coaxed to. 

If your team has lost then none of them want to do it as it’s cringe but the manager says it’s important as they’ve paid their money and he gets good mileage out of making the fans think they’re valued. As they stand they’re gormlessly staring and doing that gentle clap / pray nonsense waiting for the manager to turn and walk towards the tunnel so they can all scarper. 

And if we win, ooh then make sure the club Comms team are there quickly on the pitch to gather the footage, wait till the camera is on you and step forward and give a few fist pumps or badge kisses. Then the comms team milk footage for 3 days of hits. 

The fans fall for it and lap it up and everyone says what a great connection there is between fans and players. Until the next time the lose that is, when they all revert to being utter w***ers. 

Bring back the 80/90s clap / thumbs up from the halfway line before scampering down the tunnel. 

I hate football 
    Nah - you love football and Charlton Athletic - BUT like me, you hate the crud media ‘savvy’ trained shit around players, staff etc around it

I think you and I are around similar ages (I’m 53 in June) 

Oh yes - I desperately want the earthy 80’s / early 90’s football I loved - but it’s gone

But I still love football and Charlton 
  • Options
    I’m 46 @Lordflashheart but a lifetime of disappointment and general misery has aged me :-) 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Jeez...the things we find to moan about, now the players are wrong for clapping, but also wrong for not...makes no difference home or away, nice to have some interaction from them rather than just f'in off down the tunnel, have seen some nice touches lately in giving some youngsters their shirts at the end of the match, assume that is wrong also is it🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    The amount of rubbish we’ve had to sit through this season. Would be nice if the players chucked bundles of notes into the crowd at the end of the match, preferably 50’s.
  • Options
    Didn't mind the players coming over Tuesday, in fact I thought Dobson showed a touch of class as did most of them, applauding fans is definitely part of the game these days.
  • Options
    Think it’s just a symptom of really not feeling a connection whatsoever with this group of players that we have. Whether they clap or don’t, we just don’t really like em that much. 
  • Options
    Didn't mind the players coming over Tuesday, in fact I thought Dobson showed a touch of class as did most of them, applauding fans is definitely part of the game these days.
    What did he do ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After giving his shirt to a youngster he spent some time having pictures taken, standard stuff I know but it was good to see.
  • Options
    The only reason it didn't happen forty years ago was because everyone ran on the pitch at the full time whistle back then....
  • Options
    I don’t mind it. It mostly seems sincere. Fans like it, and plenty of ours stay for the tunnel jump which is step further. Can’t bear crying players though, or fans for that matter. Apart from Gazza at Italia 90. 
  • Options
    I often wonder what the players really think about it ..I like the tunnel jump and players acknowledging crowd as they make their way off but frankly their job is to win games..that's all..I expect Derek Hales would have thought sod that for a game of soldiers I am off to shower,shag,get blotto and lamp Lawrie Madden ( maybe not in that order) 
  • Options
    I'm never around to see it. As soon as the final whistle goes, I'm history.....puff of dust. Basically, its an irrelevance. 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    I often wonder what the players really think about it ..I like the tunnel jump and players acknowledging crowd as they make their way off but frankly their job is to win games..that's all..I expect Derek Hales would have thought sod that for a game of soldiers I am off to shower,shag,get blotto and lamp Lawrie Madden ( maybe not in that order) 
    There's a massive difference between celebrating a win at The Valley with a tunnel jump, especially as the only ones who do it are those who played well, which would be a great way to celebrate a win when you're already buzzing... and walking over to applaud away supporters, especially if you've lost or it's been an awful performance, which must be a real chore, especially as you know that some fans will be angry and all you want to do is get off the pitch.
  • Options

I hate football 
    Well said, I thought it was just me who thought this way.
    It must be a height thing.
  • Options

I hate football 
    Absolutely this!