Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Potholes

Shortlands Road makes the West Stand carpark look like Salar de Uyuni.

Now i've got that off my chest i can go to bed, night Tom.

Comments

• edited April 2023
    I cycle through 4 or 5 boroughs on my way to work. 

Bromley has by far the worst maintained roads of any borough I go through. There's potholes there that could kill someone if they cycle over them. 
  • There seem to be more than ever.
  • Huskaris said:

Bromley has by far the worst maintained roads of any borough I go through. There's potholes there that could kill someone if they cycle over them. 
    Yep Bromley Council don't seem bothered to fix them 
  • The Land Rover wheels can handle them there.  They probably caused them too.
  • One of the problems with potholes in the Bromley Borough is that they are not repaired properly. 
    You see workmen filling them in only for them to reappear a few weeks later.
    Maybe changing the contractor will help.
  • I think this is a universal problem. Potholes are a major talking point where I live, many many miles south west of The Valley. 
  • I have noticed making more slight deveations to avoid them and scanning ahead for them. Some are unavoidable though. You would think in the 21st century, they could invent an effective filler to pour into them.
  • I think this is a universal problem. Potholes are a major talking point where I live, many many miles south west of The Valley. 
    Particularly bad in Bromley in the areas surrounding The Valley imo. 
  • edited April 2023
    Huskaris said:
    I think this is a universal problem. Potholes are a major talking point where I live, many many miles south west of The Valley. 
    It's particularly bad everywhere!

Published 2 February 2023

Wiltshire Council is continuing its focus on fixing potholes in the county after a record number of reports in January.

The hot and dry summer of 2022, combined with the very wet and then cold weather experienced in the county so far this winter, has created the ideal conditions for potholes to form - but the council is using all the skilled resources it can to fix them.

Cllr Caroline Thomas, Cabinet Member for Transport, said: We have received a record number of 3,623 pothole reports through our MyWilts reporting system this January. This compares with 924 reports in December and 677 reports in November, which illustrates the scale of the problem we're dealing with across over 2,500 miles of roads in Wiltshire.

Our priority is always to fill potholes to make them safe. However, in doing this at times we appreciate that some temporary repairs may not be as good as resurfacing the road. Nonetheless, depending on conditions, these repairs can last many years and, importantly, the approach means our stewards can fill up to 100 each week.

• Sponsored links:

• By far the worst road for potholes is going down Wrotham Hill on the M25. We are talking craters.
  • I have noticed making more slight deveations to avoid them and scanning ahead for them. Some are unavoidable though. You would think in the 21st century, they could invent an effective filler to pour into them.
    They have, there are several purpose-built machines that complete pothole repairs quickly and very effectively. They also make a long-lasting repair. But the scummy councils won't pay for them.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-9126685/JCB-launches-new-pothole-repairing-vehicle-one-8-minutes.html

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/state-art-pothole-repair-machines-23334118
  • edited April 2023
    I seem to remember them using large machines that scraped all the old tarmac at the front, dumped it into open topped lorries travelling alongside, and laid fresh tarmac at the back, with just a Herbert walking along behind with road marking gear. They seemed to be fairly quick at road repair.

Haven't seen one for ages, nowadays they need about two hundred lorries, three thousand men in hard hats, half a million porta-loos, and one unkempt yute with a stop/go sign smoking a fag.

They recently relaid a couple of roads round here, lovely and smooth. Within two days some utility was digging up a section and put a crap repair on top. I think they should demand proper repairs after the roads are dug up, blended into the surface, closer monitoring of why holes are necessary, and quality inspection. Also better coordination with other utilities as some roads have different gangs of workmen digging up the same road within days of each other. If they Licensed firms and charged them daily for digging up the road, that would fund quality inspectors, reduce unnecessary roadworks, and ensure that they are dealt with quickly and not dragging on forever.

Plus I really hate temporary lights, sometimes they are there for eons with no-one working.

Seems that every day I wake up grumpier than the day before.
  • Huskaris said:
    I think this is a universal problem. Potholes are a major talking point where I live, many many miles south west of The Valley. 
    It's particularly bad everywhere!

Published 2 February 2023

Wiltshire Council is continuing its focus on fixing potholes in the county after a record number of reports in January.

The hot and dry summer of 2022, combined with the very wet and then cold weather experienced in the county so far this winter, has created the ideal conditions for potholes to form - but the council is using all the skilled resources it can to fix them.

Cllr Caroline Thomas, Cabinet Member for Transport, said: We have received a record number of 3,623 pothole reports through our MyWilts reporting system this January. This compares with 924 reports in December and 677 reports in November, which illustrates the scale of the problem we're dealing with across over 2,500 miles of roads in Wiltshire.

Our priority is always to fill potholes to make them safe. However, in doing this at times we appreciate that some temporary repairs may not be as good as resurfacing the road. Nonetheless, depending on conditions, these repairs can last many years and, importantly, the approach means our stewards can fill up to 100 each week.

• edited April 2023
    cafcfan said:
    I have noticed making more slight deveations to avoid them and scanning ahead for them. Some are unavoidable though. You would think in the 21st century, they could invent an effective filler to pour into them.
    They have, there are several purpose-built machines that complete pothole repairs quickly and very effectively. They also make a long-lasting repair. But the scummy councils won't pay for them.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-9126685/JCB-launches-new-pothole-repairing-vehicle-one-8-minutes.html

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/state-art-pothole-repair-machines-23334118
    It is probably something the Government should buy.
  • My road looks like Ukranian Himars have taken it out.  Has definately got worse over the last few years in Medway. I blame Br@x=t, C#v#d and Me@#ay Co%@cil in no particular order!  Oh and I am sure Bor!s has something to do with it as well.
  • Huskaris said:

Try Yalding/Maidstone trust me its ridiculous! I've had to replace around 4 tyres in about 6 months due to slow punctures

Amazes me how the councils continue to do nothing, it really is a joke.
  • Some massive ones around Cheltenham when driving round that way yesterday, one by a roundabout was more like a chasm that a pothole
  • edited April 2023
  • Some real suspension snapping, bone shakers on the A12 heading up to the M11
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2023
    The hardest problems to solve are the ones caused by multiple issues. In terms of pot holes, we can look at the general quality of workmanship when laying roads, the utility companies being able to dig up even brand new roads and do a shoddy repair afterwards and the weather of course but we have always had weather! Is it just that we are spending less on this? Rather than look to Europe, yet having driven to Italy and back last summer I didn't observe such a big problem, we could look to Scandanavia which has weather that should cause more potholes, yet they have far less. What are they doing differently?
  • This action was undertaken when I was a child.  Wonderful love it.

But unable to put flim on this site.
    Bernard Cribbins Whole in the ground. 
  • There everywhere. i live on the Hampshire/Berkshire border, both counties are appalling. I spent more time looking down at the road that i do well ahead. I try not to drive at night if i can help it due to that fact. They reckon there is 11 years of backlog to fill everyone in.
  • I think they have solved the ambulance queuing issue at QE II hospital by making it impossible for ambulances to actually get there.  The approach road looks like day 2 of the Somme.
  • 1905 said:
    I think they have solved the ambulance queuing issue at QE II hospital by making it impossible for ambulances to actually get there.  The approach road looks like day 2 of the Somme.
    Always has done - came off my bike a few years ago on that road. That bend as you come in from Shooters Hill Road has always been bad. It's privately-run by the hospital trust and they don't bother maintaining it properly. 
  • 1905 said:
    I think they have solved the ambulance queuing issue at QE II hospital by making it impossible for ambulances to actually get there.  The approach road looks like day 2 of the Somme.
    Always has done - came off my bike a few years ago on that road. That bend as you come in from Shooters Hill Road has always been bad. It's privately-run by the hospital trust and they don't bother maintaining it properly. 
    A bike would just disappear down them now.
  • 1905 said:
    I took a chunk out of my tyre in that road.
  • I reported one in our village to Essex County Council at the beginning of October stating that it was dangerous. Not just that there was a hole, but that it was exposing the hard metal edge of an inspection cover. Still no action has been taken. 

At the time, I thought it was huge. Since then I've seen several bigger ones. I think that's the strategy, like so many things in this broken country; just leave it until our perceptions change and everything is normalised. 
  • Stig said:
    I reported one in our village to Essex County Council at the beginning of October stating that it was dangerous. Not just that there was a hole, but that it was exposing the hard metal edge of an inspection cover. Still no action has been taken. 

At the time, I thought it was huge. Since then I've seen several bigger ones. I think that's the strategy, like so many things in this broken country; just leave it until our perceptions change and everything is normalised. 
    There's similar near Pickford lane (Basilon road I think). It's size and depth means it drags your tyre into it and scratches the alloy too. Looking at google images, it didn't exist until the performed quick/cheap tarmac jobs. 
  • A brief internet search would confirm that if this is an issue of a broken country then France, USA, Canada, Belgium, Ireland etc etc are also broken (and maybe they are..)

It may well be the case that every country will have different processes, levels of funding etc etc and some may be better than others at resolving but ultimately its an issue of traffic volume and weather in the first instance, and the last 12 months have been prime conditions for the development of potholes.