Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion | Easter Monday @ 3pm | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion
Easter Monday - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sunny Singh Gill

Introduction
The Addicks play the second of their Easter double header this Monday, Burton Albion the incoming visitors to the Valley - Charlton will be looking to bounce back after a first defeat in five games at Bristol Rovers on what was anything but Good Friday for many supporters stuck in Bank Holiday traffic.

The Opposition
Name: Burton Albion (18th) | Manager: Dino Maamria
Ground: Pirelli Stadium
Previous League Result: Burton 2-1 Barnsley

Burton tomorrow will be coming to the Valley with one eye still nervously over their shoulders - Their 2-1 victory over Barnsley was without doubt impressive on Friday - However relegation rivals: Accrington also recorded a win, so Burton's gap between themselves and the drop zone remains at seven points, not including Goal Difference etc.

Joining the Brewers on a trip to SE7 will of course include the likes of Craig MacGillivray, the ex-Charlton Stopper moved to Burton in January, and has been an asset since, with the visitors having lost just three times since he joined - Sam Lavelle (albeit involved just twice for Burton this season) and Charlie Kirk on the other hand will both be inelligble as per the terms of their agreement... this potentially at the insistence of Burton!!

Charlton Team News
Our 1-0 loss at Bristol Rovers was disappointing to say the least, especially as it came hot on the heels of our 6-0 win over Shrewsbury just six days prior - If we see any changes amongst the squad, I suspect it'll be as a result of rotating fresh legs, rather than anything reactionary towards the defeat in the West Country.

Mandela Egbo appeared on the bench (at long last) once again on Friday, albeit with Steven Sessegnon deputising at Right-Back with Sean Clare absent. Its impossible to know if Clare will be available for this upcoming clash with Burton, yet you cant expect Egbo to be starting with such little game time.

Maynard-Brewer
Sessegnon - Hector - Inniss - Thomas
Payne - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Mitchell - Egbo - Henry - Morgan - Bonne - Kanu

Comments

• Options
    Lots of talk about finishing the season strong. Not demonstrated on Friday for sure. Need a lot more effort and quality to win this one. Will the players be up for it? Like to see Egbo start. Rather see two up top. Kanu could do with some minutes and a goal.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Lots of talk about finishing the season strong. Not demonstrated on Friday for sure. Need a lot more effort and quality to win this one. Will the players be up for it? Like to see Egbo start. Rather see two up top. Kanu could do with some minutes and a goal.
    good summary .. I hope that you're wrong, but fear you are right on the money .. Burton are fighting for their status and the win over in top form Barnsley proves they are having a right good go .. whatever the result I will not be surprised
    I hope our squad are not in beach mode already as I have tickets for Ipswich and MK and more importantly, get absolutely cheesed off when professionals just don't give it 100% and I have paid out for accommodation, match tickets, and driven a long way to watch sub standard performances, like yesterday's
  • Options
    The CAFC half-season tickets, should be valid from August to February. 
  • Options
    Expect a very open game Burton recent form matches ours plus they been scoring goals ….

Think there will be a change of two for us .. think Leaburn , Morgan and Campbell may sit out this one .

Could be high scoring draw or if we win few goals like 3-2 ? 
  • Options
    I have it on very good authority that written into the loan deals taking Kirk and Lavelle to Burton was a requirement that they had to play in the game against us if fit.

Equally, MacGillivray was only allowed to leave us on a free if he played in tomorrow's  game.
  • Options
    MacGillivray probably play a blinder. 
  • Options
    Campbell is definitely being played more than he ideally would be, but we do lack options in wide areas.

Could Chin play wide right, with JRS on the left?
  • Options
    We seem to go on runs, so I suspect we may fail to bounce back from Friday's defeat. Form-wise, both teams have ten points from their last five games, but Burton's win over Barnsley on Friday trumps our sorry defeat at the Memorial Stadium.
    I'm worried that we failed to counter Barton's formation and tactics. Perhaps changing to two up top and bypassing a packed midfield by playing balls over the top for a bit might have helped? Anything to switch it up a bit really. We didn't try anything at all until it was too late, and I hate to say it, but hats off to Barton. I just hope we learn something from the experience. Dean Holden has charisma and the gift of the gab, but would like to see more tactical nous sometimes, even though I accept he doesn't have too many options on the bench (unlike Rovers it seems).
    Do Campbell and Rak-Sakyi need a rest? Morgan too? His fans were delighted after the 6-0, and quite rightly, but the Rovers match demonstrated his inconsistency. Fraser the same. I still believe only Dobbo would start out of our midfield if we're to mount a challenge next season.
    Our defence has become a lot tighter lately. Let's hope Egbo can get (unscathed) minutes tomorrow, because I think he'll improve things further.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was surprised to see Burton defender John Brayford is only 35. He seems to have been around forever. Time for the wingers to shine.
  • Options
    Couldn't they have started early FFS? It's a Bank Holiday, folks have got good stuff to be getting on with.

1-3
  • Options
    I was surprised to see Burton defender John Brayford is only 35. He seems to have been around forever. Time for the wingers to shine.
    The same John Brayford that scored against us in the cup QF at Bramall Lane?
  • Options
    So, so disappointed by Friday, but going today , its raining what else is there to do? DIY? No thanks
  • Options
    Campbell is definitely being played more than he ideally would be, but we do lack options in wide areas.

Could Chin play wide right, with JRS on the left?
    Chin at Dartford 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    We seem to go on runs, so I suspect we may fail to bounce back from Friday's defeat. Form-wise, both teams have ten points from their last five games, but Burton's win over Barnsley on Friday trumps our sorry defeat at the Memorial Stadium.
    I'm worried that we failed to counter Barton's formation and tactics. Perhaps changing to two up top and bypassing a packed midfield by playing balls over the top for a bit might have helped? Anything to switch it up a bit really. We didn't try anything at all until it was too late, and I hate to say it, but hats off to Barton. I just hope we learn something from the experience. Dean Holden has charisma and the gift of the gab, but would like to see more tactical nous sometimes, even though I accept he doesn't have too many options on the bench (unlike Rovers it seems).
    Do Campbell and Rak-Sakyi need a rest? Morgan too? His fans were delighted after the 6-0, and quite rightly, but the Rovers match demonstrated his inconsistency. Fraser the same. I still believe only Dobbo would start out of our midfield if we're to mount a challenge next season.
    Our defence has become a lot tighter lately. Let's hope Egbo can get (unscathed) minutes tomorrow, because I think he'll improve things further.

James that is still my problem with Dean Holden .. Rovers dropped their best player to over crowd the mid but we failed to react and it’s not the first time that DH has not changed our system to react to us being outnumbered in mid and down the flanks 
  • Options
    Not going to stress myself over if we beat these or not just going to go & hopefully watch a decent game & a good result
    Going for a 2-0 win
    For The mighty CAFC Come On You Reds  B)
  • Options
    Oh god, do I have to go to this one 

^^^this is what I thought last Saturday tbf and we scored 6 goals. Maybe I just have to be really REALLY glum and we'll get 8
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weather looks shit...
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Not sure I could muster less enthusiasm for this match.
    2-0 CAFC win.
    Mainly going to see some official elbowing.
  • Options
    Weather looks shit...

perfect excuse for getting out and going to a football match on a bank holiday Monday 
  • Options
    4-1.
  • Options
    Will this season ever end? The pain continues and I expect Burton will want this more than we will. 1-1, nothing very exciting
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    The same John Brayford that scored against us in the cup QF at Bramall Lane?
    That’s him. Started off at Burton 17 years ago.
    Done the rounds, now back there.
  • Options
     I am deliberately not commenting on this thread as a mark of my complete apathy and disillusionment.
  • Options
    Weather looks shit...
    Ok here in SE7
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Oh god, do I have to go to this one 

^^^this is what I thought last Saturday tbf and we scored 6 goals. Maybe I just have to be really REALLY glum and we'll get 8
    If you can't manage that then have a word with Golfie, he'll show you how it's done.
  • Options
    There’s hardly anyone about. You hardly know there’s a game on.