Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Autobiographies of players who have played for Charlton.

2»

Comments

• I’m looking forward to the release of 50 clubs 50 goals by Frank Nouble. 
  • I remember reading a few years ago that both Derek Hales & Steve Thompson were writing their autobiographies. But I’ve not seen anything further, so assume that they have not yet materialised.

Does anybody have an update?
  • Chizz said:
    I've asked Chat GPT to produce a list of books written by former Charlton players. 

I think some of them will prove very difficult to track down. 

Can you please provide a list of books written by former Charlton Athletic players, with a brief description of each

Certainly! Here is a list of books written by former Charlton Athletic players, along with a brief description of each:

"Tales from the Boot Camps" by Derek Hales - This book tells the story of Derek Hales' time at Charlton Athletic, including his experiences in the club's infamous boot camps.

"Addicks Downunder" by Mike Bailey - Mike Bailey's memoir about his time as a player and coach at Charlton Athletic, as well as his experiences playing and coaching in Australia.

"Parkinson's Law" by Curbishley and Tanner - Alan Curbishley and Ray Tanner share their experiences managing Charlton Athletic during the 1990s and 2000s, including their promotion to the Premier League.

"The Keeper" by Rob Elliot - Rob Elliot's autobiography about his career as a goalkeeper, which included a stint at Charlton Athletic.

"The Valley Of Dreams" by Rick Everitt - A comprehensive history of Charlton Athletic, from the club's formation to the present day, written by Rick Everitt, the editor of the fanzine Voice of The Valley.

"Valley of Tears" by Stephen King - Stephen King's memoir about his time as a Charlton Athletic fan, including the club's ups and downs on and off the field.

"Striker!" by Bob Curtis - Bob Curtis' autobiography, which covers his career as a player and manager at various clubs, including Charlton Athletic.

"From Charlton to Monte Carlo" by Derek Ufton - Derek Ufton's autobiography about his career as a player and manager, which included a stint at Charlton Athletic.

"Rebel Rebel: My Life" by Dean Saunders - Dean Saunders' autobiography about his career as a footballer, which included a brief loan spell at Charlton Athletic.

"Charlton Athletic: A History" by Clive Harris - Another comprehensive history of Charlton Athletic, written by Clive Harris, a former club historian.
    Honestly never seen or heard the Addicks Downunder book...  there's me thinking we were the originals back in 2006
  • edited April 2023
    Is Left Foot Forward by Garry Nelson the best football biography of all time?

Certainly up there in the top ten along with Full Time by Tony Cascarino.

Well worth a read if you have not done so already. 
    I think you are on the tight track but Left foot in the grave was slightly better IMO.
  • Is Left Foot Forward by Garry Nelson the best football biography of all time?

Certainly up there in the top ten along with Full Time by Tony Cascarino.

Well worth a read if you have not done so already. 
    I think you are on the tight track but Left foot in the grave was slightly better IMO.
    Both are absolutely brilliant reads. Garry Nelson is a true legend. "Forward" is mostly about Charlton whereas "In the Grave" is about his time in management at Torquay. I loved both, but "In the Grave" is a real eye-opener about lower league teams and their finances (or lack of).