Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jethro Tull

I’m returning home today after spending 10 days in Budapest getting my teef fixed.

Coincidence upon coincidence Jethro Tull happened to be playing close to where I was staying and I managed to get a ticket for my last night. I’ve seen them a few times before but not for some time.

Of course to me, Ian and the band are legends but you have to ask, what do old rockers do when they’re in their twilight years, Too Old to Rock and Roll but Too Young to Die?

Ians voice has sadly gone, it did improve after the interval, when presumably he had a stint on the ventilator in his dressing room.

I was surprised when he did, “With You There To Help Me” one of my favourites off the Benefit album, I’d been listening to a lot recently.

Sadly, it was perhaps summed up when he fell over while prancing around the stage doing an encore of Locomotive Breath, not a nice end to a glittering career!

But he and the band will always have a special place in my musical education and I’m grateful for that.

Comments

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Stop living in the past!!!
    Just have, Sweet Dreams, perhaps?
  • Options
    I lived with Martin Barres son at university, the band were still together at that point. I had no idea who he was, but seemed nice enough... his son was a bellend though lol.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Stop living in the past!!!
    Maybe, but once a rock and roller, always a rock and roller?
  • Options
    Some of my personal favourite albums - Broadsword & the Beast, Heavy Horses and Crest of A Knave. All of which I recall buying on release as a young man. And they stand the test of time. However, the band have also been responsible for some of the biggest turkeys of our time (pretty much their entire catalogue post the ones I’ve mentioned!). A lesson in knowing when it’s time to quit whilst you’re ahead. 
  • Options
    I saw them during their "Prog Tour" a couple of years back and yeh, the spark has definitely gone.
  • Options
    Some of my personal favourite albums - Broadsword & the Beast, Heavy Horses and Crest of A Knave. All of which I recall buying on release as a young man. And they stand the test of time. However, the band have also been responsible for some of the biggest turkeys of our time (pretty much their entire catalogue post the ones I’ve mentioned!). A lesson in knowing when it’s time to quit whilst you’re ahead. 
    I wouldn’t call, Benefit, Aqualung and Thick As A Brick, turkeys?

Aqualung, possibly my favourite.
  • Options
    Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.
  • Options

Neither would I. Those preceded the ones I listed. 
  • Options

Sorry, misread your post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sorry, misread your post.
    No problemo. You’ve encouraged me to dig out some old Tull. It’s been a while…
  • Options
    Great band but not cutting it any more
  • Options
    Wasn’t Jethro Tull’s biggest fan but they did do some really good stuff. I always think it’s a little bit sad when anyone including rockers carry on trying to be who they once were just a little too long. It almost becomes a parody and some things are best left to the memory of what once was rather than being tainted by the inevitability of age and loss of the zest that made them what they were. If it’s just about money then perhaps fair enough. Needs must but it’s still a bit sad. 
  • Options
    Saw them twice.
    Once when they introduced Thick as a Brick at the Albert Hall, and a few years later at the Rainbow Finsbury Park, the later show was introduced by Stirling Moss and started with Pans People dancing to Witch’s Promise.
    In his pomp Ian Anderson could command a stage like no other. Good musician, and his best tunes stand up very well, especially as he didn’t emerge from the Blues diaspora prevalent at the time, the very good Living in the Past was in a brave (for the period) 5/4 time signature.
  • Options
    Wasn’t Jethro Tull’s biggest fan but they did do some really good stuff. I always think it’s a little bit sad when anyone including rockers carry on trying to be who they once were just a little too long. It almost becomes a parody and some things are best left to the memory of what once was rather than being tainted by the inevitability of age and loss of the zest that made them what they were. If it’s just about money then perhaps fair enough. Needs must but it’s still a bit sad. 
    Difficult to argue with that. Having said that it’s what he’s done his whole career and must be hard letting go.

He’s still a great flutist and probably the only reason I’m able to listen to that instrument is through his playing, think James Galway, urgh🙀 and other saccharine sound players.

Apparently they have a new album coming out in the next couple of weeks.

• Options
    Was more keen on their album covers than the music but Ian Anderson in his prime was a great performer
  • Options
    Saw them live a few years ago and they had a young guy doing most of the singing while Ian Anderson concentrated on playing the flute. When Anderson did some singing it was pretty rough. The band overall sounded great though although there were no members apart from IA from the classic years.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    lolwray said:
    Was more keen on their album covers than the music but Ian Anderson in his prime was a great performer
    He was and I think that’s part of the disappointment of him getting older, he can no longer command that presence.
  • Options
    With a band like Jethro Tull, the vocalist is key. Other musicians come and go bit Anderson is the constant. I thought his voice had gone when I saw the four years ago yet still he continues. It's not like he needs the money; perhaps the rest of the band do!
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I’m returning home today after spending 10 days in Budapest getting my teef fixed.

Coincidence upon coincidence Jethro Tull happened to be playing close to where I was staying and I managed to get a ticket for my last night. I’ve seen them a few times before but not for some time.

Of course to me, Ian and the band are legends but you have to ask, what do old rockers do when they’re in their twilight years, Too Old to Rock and Roll but Too Young to Die?

Ians voice has sadly gone, it did improve after the interval, when presumably he had a stint on the ventilator in his dressing room.

I was surprised when he did, “With You There To Help Me” one of my favourites off the Benefit album, I’d been listening to a lot recently.

Sadly, it was perhaps summed up when he fell over while prancing around the stage doing an encore of Locomotive Breath, not a nice end to a glittering career!

But he and the band will always have a special place in my musical education and I’m grateful for that.

Dont know what would fill me with more dread Jethro Till or Dentistry, I think Dentistry would be shorter term pain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Hal1x said:

Dont know what would fill me with more dread Jethro Till or Dentistry, I think Dentistry would be shorter term pain.
    After 5hrs in the Dentists 🪑 on the first day, I may have been inclined to agree with you  @hal1x but the next 3 visits were short and more or less pain free.

Luckily I got to see Jethro Tull, I assume Jethro Till are a tribute band;)? Or maybe their accountant.
  • Options
    Often overlooked band from a very productive period of British music.  Got into them last year via YouTube.

It must be difficult to stop doing what is, most peoples fantasy life/job combo.  I must say, I will have no problem giving up teaching, but then it does not perhaps have the same draw as internationally recognised music performer and multi-millionaire.

There is something intrinically sad about such events, purely because it shines a stark light on all our diminishing powers and eventual demise.

Well,  Happy Easter all, love a bit of flute n all!
  • Options
    Once (long ago) asked a Dutch girl which was her favourite English band .. she answered .. 'jetrow Tool'
  • Options
    Using this new fangled internet thingy I've just checked out Jethro Tull and was quite surprised by:-

It wasn't the one born in Basildon in 1741 that helped form the basis of modern agriculture that I was after.  :)

Estimated worth 100 million dollars.

Owns a beautiful house in Wiltshire and another in Switzerland.

Only took up the flute after ditching the electric guitar.  He knew he'd never be as good as Clapton, but found he played flute well after a couple of months.

Was once a salmon farmer.

Estimated earnings last year 485.000 dollars.

Awarded an MBE in 2008 for services to music 

Has an Ivor Novello award (2006) for international achievement + an honorary doctorate of literature (in the same year).

His latest album 'The Zealot Gene' was released last year and on my first - albeit skimmed through listen - is pretty bloody good and well worth a bit of time spent on it.  If nothing else Charlton fans can identify with the track, 'Where did Saturday go?'  

Where did Saturday go?
    Lost in a whirlwind, heady passion
    Long faces hang so low
    High-flying dreams to Earth fell crashing

Deeply regrettable
    Somewhat predictable
    Faintly implausible
    Quite unmissable
    But where did Saturday go?

• Options
    https://youtu.be/yaOnROVbfkc. A Richard Digance Capital radio show with Jethro Tull
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Richard Digance. There’s a name I’ve not heard for a long time. Talented man. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Using this new fangled internet thingy I've just checked out Jethro Tull and was quite surprised by:-

It wasn't the one born in Basildon in 1741 that helped form the basis of modern agriculture that I was after.  :)

Estimated worth 100 million dollars.

Owns a beautiful house in Wiltshire and another in Switzerland.

Only took up the flute after ditching the electric guitar.  He knew he'd never be as good as Clapton, but found he played flute well after a couple of months.

Was once a salmon farmer.

Estimated earnings last year 485.000 dollars.

Awarded an MBE in 2008 for services to music 

Has an Ivor Novello award (2006) for international achievement + an honorary doctorate of literature (in the same year).

His latest album 'The Zealot Gene' was released last year and on my first - albeit skimmed through listen - is pretty bloody good and well worth a bit of time spent on it.  If nothing else Charlton fans can identify with the track, 'Where did Saturday go?'  

Where did Saturday go?
    Lost in a whirlwind, heady passion
    Long faces hang so low
    High-flying dreams to Earth fell crashing

Deeply regrettable
    Somewhat predictable
    Faintly implausible
    Quite unmissable
    But where did Saturday go?

Do you think you could bring all this together in a thesis @raith_c_chatonell and present to the forum on Monday?;)
  • Options
    Just been listening to their first album and can't believe how bluesy it is. 

He did talk about not being good enough to play the guitar like Clapton but maybe he thought he could emulate his band, Cream, instead?
  • Options
    Just been listening to their first album and can't believe how bluesy it is. 

He did talk about not being good enough to play the guitar like Clapton but maybe he thought he could emulate his band, Cream, instead?
    Don't forget on the first album Mick Abrahams was the guitar player and also a strong personality with a big say in the direction of the band.
    Anderson had to win that battle and bin Abrahams to allow his own ideas to dominate.
    Abrahams was the blues man