Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boys of Summer 2023

Couldn’t find the 2023 baseball thread.

Enjoyed by first Saturday night of the year watching the Sox on mlbtv.

Crazy finish - the games over as Yoshida pops up at 7-8 in the bottom of the ninth. Fielder somehow drops it - and Duvall makes them pay with a homer at the end. Two games in and already I’m loving my baseball.

So who are we all cheering for? Who are we betting on?

Mets and Padres have spent huge. Yankees always spend which makes it funny when they miss out.

Bring on the season 

Comments

• Options
    So the Giants are doing this season what I thought they were going to do last season!
  • Options
    Couldn't find another thread; I assume this'll still be the one. I'm a relatively new California Los Angeles Anaheim of California Angels fan because of Mike Trout (not Shohei weirdly!) and... um... is this the year I start to believe?

Zach Neto is one to watch for the future, I think.
  • Options
    I'm just in shock that our team of misfits, cast offs (And Corbin Carroll) are top of our division and have the best win percentage in the National League! 
  • Options
    I've been getting into baseball over the last few years - not really got a team, but I guess I'm enjoying the resurgence of the Orioles at the moment. A few random thoughts on the season so far:

Mets gonna Met

How the hell have the A's just reeled off 6 wins in a row?

Elly De La Cruz looks pretty special

The Padres have to come good at some point, right?

Without Aaron Judge, the Yankees really aren't that good (what a shame...)
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    PaddyP17 said:
    Couldn't find another thread; I assume this'll still be the one. I'm a relatively new California Los Angeles Anaheim of California Angels fan because of Mike Trout (not Shohei weirdly!) and... um... is this the year I start to believe?

Zach Neto is one to watch for the future, I think.
    This happens every year. It won't last, I'm sorry. 

Also, I will be going to an Angels game in a couple of weeks when they play the White Sox in Anaheim. Given I grew up going to "The Big A" I've always had a bit of a soft spot for them. Any kit or anything you'd like I'd be happy to ship it over. 
  • Options
    As a White Sox fan, it's not been fun. One of the best parts, really the only good parts, of being a Sox fan right now is the people who cover the team, namely Jason Bennetti the play-by-play guy, and James Fegan, the beat writer for The Athletic. Found out last night Fegan, who is a wonderful writer, incredibly bright and thoughtful and funny, was part of the round of layoffs at The Athletic. So that sucks. 

I am going to go home to LA to see the Sox in a couple of weeks. I did want to see them at Dodger Stadium, as they're there this week, but the timing wasn't right with work. They're doing Dodgers and Mariners, and then two weeks later Angels and A's. Baseball scheduling tends to be pretty silly. 

I have a lot of colleagues in Baltimore who are Orioles fans, and it's been nice seeing them enjoy that young, fun team. 
  • Options
    I've been getting into baseball over the last few years - not really got a team, but I guess I'm enjoying the resurgence of the Orioles at the moment. A few random thoughts on the season so far:

Mets gonna Met

How the hell have the A's just reeled off 6 wins in a row?

Elly De La Cruz looks pretty special

The Padres have to come good at some point, right?

Without Aaron Judge, the Yankees really aren't that good (what a shame...)
    As a Padres fan I’m strangely enjoying their struggles. It’s a horrible team full of egos. Out of the stars I’m ok with Machado and Xander but would be happy to see the back of Soto who never swings and just gets walked all season. Tatis I desperately want rid of. He’s a stain on the club, often fails to ignite unless the team is on fire and then dances obnoxiously when he gets a double for first time in three games. The guy is a sure fire doper, who got caught. No club with any class would want him. There’s no chemistry in this side and I can’t see them turning it around. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    As a White Sox fan, it's not been fun. One of the best parts, really the only good parts, of being a Sox fan right now is the people who cover the team, namely Jason Bennetti the play-by-play guy, and James Fegan, the beat writer for The Athletic. Found out last night Fegan, who is a wonderful writer, incredibly bright and thoughtful and funny, was part of the round of layoffs at The Athletic. So that sucks. 

I am going to go home to LA to see the Sox in a couple of weeks. I did want to see them at Dodger Stadium, as they're there this week, but the timing wasn't right with work. They're doing Dodgers and Mariners, and then two weeks later Angels and A's. Baseball scheduling tends to be pretty silly. 

I have a lot of colleagues in Baltimore who are Orioles fans, and it's been nice seeing them enjoy that young, fun team. 
    I love Benetti, a true inspiration of what can be achieved with serious illness. Back to our Sox and it’s been so depressing these past few years, all the hype and there is just nothing there. No consistency at all. You could argue missing Hendriks was huge but I think it’s deeper than that. Too many big personalities that the managers struggle to cope with. Robert and Gimenez are always injured. I love Anderson but there is always controversy around him. What do you think we should do ? 
  • Options
    I tend to watch on BT Sport between 12 and 1am few times a week. 

I nominally cheer for the Mets but also have a soft spot for Padres as like their uniforms. 

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Also big shout to the Oakland Athletics fans who are organising a reverse boycott tonight in protest against their shit ownership. 

They are having historical low attendances as fans left disenchanted as the owners refuse to stump up for new stadium, trade all their Crown Jewels and are actively courting Las Vegas in an attempt to move there. 

So basically they are trying to get as many people in the stadium tonight ie a reverse boycott to put pressure on the current owner and to show prospective buyers the current issues and record low attendances are the fault of the owners and not the fans 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it me, or did they not actually show two of our scoring plays? 
  • Options
    I wondered that as well.
  • Options
    The Giants smashed the Dodgers tonight. Long may it continue!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I thought I misread the score at first! That grand slam in the 6th...  🤩
  • Options
    I wondered that as well.
  • Options
    I wondered that as well.
    Didn't show our last two runs in last night's round up either. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Now that’s what I call Music a road-trip!

Not just 0-6 on the road, but sweeping the Dodgers and inflicting their worst ever home defeat!
  • Options
    I'll be rooting for the Mets this year, as ever, and watching them fall by the wayside, as (nearly always) ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And that's eight in a row... 
  • Options
    For the Giants fans, the town I live in, Eugene, has their High-A affiliate. I've seen a fair amount of Patrick Bailey, Marco Luciano, and Luis Matos, plus some of Casey Schmidt and Kyle Harrison (who wasn't here for long at all because he just dominated). I was really impressed with Bailey, thought he was a big league catcher for sure. Luciano is "toolsy," was very highly rated, and I think will come good but has had some struggles. Matos and Schmidt always looked good.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I love Benetti, a true inspiration of what can be achieved with serious illness. Back to our Sox and it’s been so depressing these past few years, all the hype and there is just nothing there. No consistency at all. You could argue missing Hendriks was huge but I think it’s deeper than that. Too many big personalities that the managers struggle to cope with. Robert and Gimenez are always injured. I love Anderson but there is always controversy around him. What do you think we should do ? 
    I love Benetti so much. I grew up on Hawk Harrelson, a fantastic announcer, and to go from Hawk to Benetti, I've been so lucky.

For those who don't know, Jason Benetti was born with Cerebral Palsy. He's the play-by-play guy for the White Sox, his hometown team, plus he does college basketball, college football, NFL, I think NBA, and he now does a national MLB game of the week. He's bright, he's funny, he's incredibly charming, he is by all accounts a wonderful guy, and he is absolutely beloved by Sox fans. 

As far as what is to be done about this team...uh, nothing good. Lucas Giolito will be sold at the trade deadline. It's a shame, I love Lucas, he's a bright, interesting guy who grew up about 10 minutes (and 10 years) away from me in LA. But he's a Free Agent at the end of the year and the Sox aren't going to resign him so he's all but gone.

I think Graveman and Kelly will also be traded. I don't know that either will bring back all that much, but better than nothing. I could see Lynn going as well. I don't know if he'll bring back anything, but he has a $15m club option for next year that won't be picked up, and if I were a team that needed experience and innings eaten, I'd take a chance on him.

After that is where things get hard. TA needs a rest. If you look at his stats over the last calendar year, they're awful. Awful hitting, poor defending, and he's only played about half of the games due to injury. Such awful food, and such small portions. His personal life stuff has been around in public for a while, but obviously he opened up about it a couple of weeks ago, and the little bit I saw of the interview, he came across well. I think he's a good guy, he does great work in the community. But he can't keep doing this.

He needs an IL stint and then he needs to be batted 7th. You can't trade him this season because you won't get anything for him. I think he probably needs a change of scenery for personal and baseball reasons. But no team wants a poor defensive shortstop with a .584OPS. The Braves and Dodgers have that already, and they're cheaper and better defenders. So, for now, you're stuck with him. But I just hope they give him a break, he's not right. Some of it is probably the knee injury from earlier in the season. Some of it is probably mental. 

Beyond that, I don't think any of the other guys will be traded at this point. Maybe Grandal, again, if there's interest. But rumor has it (from Bob Nightingale) that no one with a contract past this season will be traded, and he has a direct line to Kenny Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf, so I'm inclined to believe him.

As for the Front Office and ownership, they all need to go. Reinsdorf, who is part of my villain origin story, needs to sell. And then there needs to be a clear out. None of this will happen, so I won't spend much time on it. 

I think the bigger question here is Grifol. This is a worse roster than last season, and it's a worse team. The problem is, none of the things they did badly last year have improved with the exception of a little more HR power. The pitching has gone backward. The team still doesn't walk and they swing at fucking everything. They look ill prepared, they don't hit bullpens, and they play bad defense and make awful baserunning decisions.

I had relatively high hopes for Grifol. I didn't think this would be a playoff team, but I thought Grifol would make them more solid. And instead, he really hasn't. And while this is by no means all Grifol's fault, what has he done to deserve to keep his job? He refuses to move TA from the leadoff spot despite TA being an automatic out. And he basically says the same things La Russa said: "He's going to get hot one day." Like great, when he does, bat him leadoff again.

It's all a mess. It's easily one of the worst-run organizations in the sport. The Farm System is non-existent at the high minors. The record of drafting and developing players is awful. There is nothing good happening here. This rebuild is a failure. And nothing is going to change until the people in charge change.
  • Options
    Also, fuck John Fisher, Dave Caval, and anyone else in the Oakland A's front office. Oakland is an awesome city, it's an awesome baseball city, and when you give them good teams, they go to games. Las Vegas is going to be uninhabitable in 20 years. Enjoy that.
  • Options
    Rays…….
    As usual going quietly about their business
    Need to win the Series though to complete the cycle for Champa Bay
  • Options
    Going to Colorado Rockies v LA on Tuesday. Never been to a baseball game before or seen one on TV (although I know the basic rules). 

Any tips for getting the most out of the experience?
  • Options
    The MLB do some great short highlight videos for every game. I would recommend watching them every morning for both teams prior night games until the game you’re attending. The videos are about 8 minutes per game, so very easy to digest.

By the time you get to the game you will know most of the players and what to expect from them. You’ll also pick up a few more nuances of the game and some rules you may be unaware of.

Traditionally this is a game you’d expect Dodgers to win but they’re not at their best this year…but Rockies are their usual dire selves (though they have a few decent players who can pull off the odd shock).

The hardest thing to know will be who is starting pitcher for each team (about 4 or 5 pitchers are rotated as it is s strenuous role and you get injuries if you play too regularly) . The Dodgers usually have some top starting pitchers to choose from. 

Just note that the longer the starting pitcher is on the mound for each team, the better they’re generally doing. You want your starting pitcher to get to about the sixth innings usually before they tire out. If they’re pulled off the mound by the coach significantly before that, then it’s a hard job for the lesser pitchers (the bullpen) to get the team through the rest of the game without conceding too many runs. Sorry if you already knew and that was just patronising! 
  • Options
    Thanks, really helpful. No, I know nothing really except what I have picked up from films, novels, TV shows etc (including quite a good one recently on women's baseball in the 2nd world war)
  • Options
    Also if you follow cricket, I’d argue there’s little point in comparing batters and bowlers/pitchers. They’re different sports with different skill sets required. Elite cricketers and baseball players are equally good at their respective sports.

Where baseball excels compared to cricket is in the fielding. Ok, baseball players have gloves for catching but they make incredibly few errors as it can cost games in a relatively low scoring sport. You will notice how wildly accurate the fielders throws are compared to cricket and how many of the throws are made from very off balanced positions, on the turn, with astonishing accuracy and at lightening speed. The athleticism in the field and the accuracy is on another level to cricket players and never ceases to amaze me. I respect both sports highly but independent studies/tests have shown baseball fielders to be significantly better than cricketing fielders for accuracy and pace and just watching games regularly will make this apparent. 

The contracts in baseball blow football contracts out the water (pre Saudi pro league). The very top players sign ten + years for $300m and upwards. As such, the level of professionalism and competition is, I would argue, significantly higher than cricket even if it is a sport played by a slightly smaller global demographic.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    For the Giants fans, the town I live in, Eugene, has their High-A affiliate. I've seen a fair amount of Patrick Bailey, Marco Luciano, and Luis Matos, plus some of Casey Schmidt and Kyle Harrison (who wasn't here for long at all because he just dominated). I was really impressed with Bailey, thought he was a big league catcher for sure. Luciano is "toolsy," was very highly rated, and I think will come good but has had some struggles. Matos and Schmidt always looked good.
    Bailey looks brilliant so far, I think he is a large part of the reason we have put together our current run.