Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Offside rule

Got to be changed imo  

Just taken 3 mins to determine whether W Hams goal was offside or not.

4 players offside but according to current rules not interferring. Player who scored was just about onside.

In this particular instance its hard to see how the 4 "offside" players were not interfering as they were all lined up attempting to attack the ball from a free kick. As a defender you are either trying to mark them or holding a line & letting them stray offside. 

Feel sorry for the Saints on this one.

Comments

• Options
    Agree 100%
  • Options
    Totally agree. player standing 2 yards offside in the D, must be interfering with play .
    SHAMBLES
  • Options
    Also, was it a clear and obvious error to disallow goal if it took three minutes to decide?
  • Options
    Just scrap VAR, what a farce that system is..
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    It was onside. And it was clearly onside on first viewing. Why it took the VAR official multiple minutes to decide is baffling and he should be taken off VAR duties going forward.

Offside decisions have never been subject to the now famous “clear and obvious” clause. You’re either offside or you’re not. And in this case, he wasn’t.

VAR correctly overturns the linesman’s decision and West Ham get their goal.
  • Options
    Howzat said:
    Totally agree. player standing 2 yards offside in the D, must be interfering with play .
    SHAMBLES
    As the late great Bill Shankly (my all time favourite manager by the way), once said.
    ”If a player is not interfering with play what’s he doing on the pitch.”
    I don’t think that’s word for word but pretty close.
  • Options
    Surely it must be possible to produce a computer programme that can give an immediate decision of all sorts of live action and their accurate outcome.
    I’m certain that someday someone will come up with one.
  • Options
    Surely it must be possible to produce a computer programme that can give an immediate decision of all sorts of live action and their accurate outcome.
    They used one at the World Cup. I’m sure it’ll be implemented in the Premier League by next season.
  • Options
    I’m sure that can be done, but it’s the “interfering with play” part that’s more difficult. It’s a judgement call. In this case I agree with those pointing out that the defenders would be trying to mark the four offside players, which to me says they were all interfering with play. 
  • Options
    I’m sure that can be done, but it’s the “interfering with play” part that’s more difficult. It’s a judgement call. In this case I agree with those pointing out that the defenders would be trying to mark the four offside players, which to me says they were all interfering with play. 
    That's the flaw with the current interpretation of the rule. The offside but "not interfering" player will be distracting the defenders even if they never actually touch the ball, which doesn't seem right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     The Rashford incident the other month set the bar for "interfering with play" when Man U's goal was allowed to stand even though an offside Rashford was deemed to not have "interfered" even though he blocked a defender from making a tackle.

Mad.
  • Options
    The offside rule needs to be simple enough for a bloke to be able to explain it to his missus in under 30 seconds.
  • Options
    It was onside. And it was clearly onside on first viewing. Why it took the VAR official multiple minutes to decide is baffling and he should be taken off VAR duties going forward.

Offside decisions have never been subject to the now famous “clear and obvious” clause. You’re either offside or you’re not. And in this case, he wasn’t.

VAR correctly overturns the linesman’s decision and West Ham get their goal.
    Yes but he was only on-side because a WHU player - in an offside position - was pulling a defender towards him by his arm. It was this defender dragged into a position he didn't want to be in that played the goal scorer on-side. If that's not "active", interfering with play" or whatever, what is?
    The simple solution would have been to call out the foul on the defender then the decision on offside would have been otiose.

In any event, the current interpretation of the law is ludicrous.
  • Options
    The offside rule needs to be simple enough for a bloke to be able to explain it to his missus in under 30 seconds.

puuuuurfect explanation
  • Options
    let the match officials (i.e. the referee and 2 'assistants') decide offside and keep VAR for monitoring foul play on and off the ball .. off the ball fouls i m o are a growing problem
  • Options
    Is the player in the opponent’s half?
    Are they ahead of the ball?
    Are there less than two opponents between them and the goal line?
    Is the player interfering with play and seeking to gain an advantage?
    …at the moment the ball is played (not necessarily forward) by a teammate.
    Handy checklist.
  • Options
    What we need is for the assistant to make a timely decision (even if it's a soft indication rather than immediately raising the flag). That way we can do something similar to umpires' call in cricket. If VAR can't make an immediate decision (i.e. within a few seconds) and would need to start drawing lines, etc. then you just go with the on-field call. 

The offside law was brought in to stop goal hanging, not rule out goals because somebody's toenail was beyond the last defender. We need to simplify the process, not come up with bizarre and hugely complicated 3d systems like in the world cup.

The only problem with the above is we've spend the last 30 years encouraging linos to make their decisions later and later, it may now be impossible to get them to be decisive and timely in their officiating.
  • Options
    Got to be changed imo  

4 players offside but according to current rules not interferring. Player who scored was just about onside.

In this particular instance its hard to see how the 4 "offside" players were not interfering as they were all lined up attempting to attack the ball from a free kick. As a defender you are either trying to mark them or holding a line & letting them stray offside. 

Please no!

Cannot imagine now boring the game would be if we had a modern day Arsenal expertly stepping up to catch any attacking player offside!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got to be changed imo  

Please no!

Cannot imagine now boring the game would be if we had a modern day Arsenal expertly stepping up to catch any attacking player offside!
    part of the game. A defender's job is to stop the opposition scoring.

I get blasted on here for moaning about our lack of goals ( not recently obviously) and keep being told its our defence that's the problem. If Innis, Hector et al could professionally play as a unit & stopped the opposition from scoring I'm sure all would be pleased. And defending starts on the training pitch during the week.