Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garner speaks out

Charlton interest buts from a longer interview in the Times this morning.

Comments

• Options
    That all sounds…as expected.
  • Options
    Nothing there that wasn't obvious to most of us, but good to hear it regardless. The spiky nerd type may not seem as 'Charlton' as the Man Of Deep Honour that Holden is, but...well, you can see why I liked him 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Have to apply the caveat that he's giving his version only and the results/performances were not great, but does sound like a club without much in the way of long term leadership and planning at the top level.

Plus that is a brutal way to lose a job, deserved or not.

Professional football is a brutal business - in many ways it is bereft of any decency.
  • Options
    I got chatting to a bloke in the next chair in my barber a couple of weeks ago. He's a youth coach / development coach at Chelsea and pretty sure he said he was Garner's assistant at Bristol Rovers, either way he's good friend with Garner, and he said pretty much as above, although not as much detail. I thought it was what we already knew so didn't think it worth sharing at the time
  • Options
    At first Garner wasn’t getting yellow carded and then sent off from the touch line, but (to my surprise anyway) they started to happen.
    I see that as not a good thing and indicative of possible underlying issues with the manager and with the club.
    Dean Holden tells us he is a qualified referee, so in my view has reason to know better, but he has already been yellow carded remonstrating about a nothing incident, and I perceive an increase in his dissenting body language whilst watching.
    Is he going the same way as Garner in this respect, and does it indicate wider frustration regarding the tools he has to work with that at the moment he blames referees for?
    I know for example it was a shocking non decision at Cambridge with the Kanu throttling, and I know some say animated managers are a sign of passion and that they care and it is a volatile environment and they’re only human, but it worries me that Holden is going the way of Garner with the cards. I admire a manager who can keep their equilibrium in order to make measured decisions.
    I also know referees are often rubbish, but so are away changing rooms, manky pitches, and dreadful weather and abusive opposition fans, but I would’ve thought that in football you learn to either ignore it, deal with it, or even manipulate things to your advantage.
    Garner is another in a long line of let down Charlton managers who didn’t seem to handle it well, when Holden experiences similar treatment will he handle it better?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    You don't mess with MS. He's got a very powerful shot, you know.
    It's impossible to feel any sympathy for the abuse TS gets.
  • Options
    Lack of class from Martin Sandgaard.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    sam3110 said:
    With all due respect to Garner, and it's a shitty way to find out, but he said Thomas didn't give a reason.

The reason was pretty clear from where I was sitting, the football was shit and we were slipping closer and closer to the drop zone
    The worst under Holden has been significantly worse than the worst under Garner. But I blame neither really. Without a firing Leaburn we've been absolutely toothless under either manager thanks to the inadequate playing staff and above all the dreadful, dreadful other strikers we've had 
    It's not just the strikers, it's also the midfield. They create virtually nothing. Even Fraser has failed to deliver.
  • Options
    "maybe one or two were a bit comfortable" then a sentence later "I made it clear I was going to change that culture" so if it was only one or two how does that make it a culture in the club?

I think it's fairly self evident it was way more than "one or two" that were "a bit comfortable" 

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Lack of class from Martin Sandgaard.
    If you don't have any class it's difficult to ever display it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A very insensitive way to lose your job. I assumed it is how things happen in America.
    I wonder if Garner got a decent pay off and if he is prepared to talk about that.
  • Options
    And with TS's 10% stake, Martin may still be hanging around Sparrows Lane in the event of a new takeover. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    And with TS's 10% stake, Martin may still be hanging around Sparrows Lane in the event of a new takeover. 

Gord 'elp us...
  • Options
    No surprise with the words of Ben Garner:

Martin Sandgaard convinces Thomas to go for a League 2 manager when TS said he was looking at going for a top European manager; then MS goes mute after guitar man give Garner the sack.

What I find a surprise is why didn't Ben Garner fight his corner on the video call ? Ask TS Why didn't you back me in the August window when you had made certain promises in the job interview ?

It feels like Ben just accepted the situation and realized that he couldn't succeed at Cafc with the players at his disposal to play the way he wanted. Playing out from the back with Lavelle and Inniss with no left footed left back was doomed to failure. Erratic midfield and his captain Stockley struggling to fit into a 3 up front with no twin striker alongside him.

In the 30 seconds did Thomas Sandgaard say you are dismissed but we will pay your contract up. If not wouldn't you ask ?

I said when the Summer window shut that Garner will be gutted and it didn't take long for Ben to say the play off places will be really tough to achieve.

When Owner, manager, coaches, fans and staff aren't on the same page you don't succeed on or off the field.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    With all due respect to Garner, and it's a shitty way to find out, but he said Thomas didn't give a reason.

The reason was pretty clear from where I was sitting, the football was shit and we were slipping closer and closer to the drop zone
    Agree, but remember Sandgaard was always pretty vocal about the type of football he wanted/demanded.  He sought out Garner and cited this to be  exactly what we were looking for.  All well and good in theory, but in practice it didn't and don't work at this level and with these players.  Sandgaard having ideas above his station as usual - not as easy as he thought it would be.  Quelle surprise.  
  • Options
    So whose fault was it we didn’t win many matches with the game plan we were employing ?
  • Options
    So whose fault was it we didn’t win many matches with the game plan we were employing ?
    Guess i'd start with the 11 on the pitch, always a good one there...
  • Options
    Nothing there that we didn't know already.
    Garner was a gonna as soon as he started criticising TS publically and TS said that.