Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers | Saturday 25th March 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers
Saturday 25th March 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Scott Oldham

Introduction
The Addicks return home this Saturday with Play-Off chasing: Wycombe Wanderers coming to town, after two games on the road - Recent weeks have seen Charlton come up against relegation threatened sides, and after a lacklustre performance against Accrington, our last game at the Valley, it was feared that we could be dragged back into a relegation fight - Professional displays on the road have all but secured League One Football for next season, as we look to finish with a flourish

The Opposition
Name: Wycombe Wanderers (8th) | Manager: Matt Broomfield
Ground: Adams Park
Previous League Result: Wycombe 0-1 Barnsley

The halls of Adams Park are quiet for the first time since 2009, no more guitar music can be heard from the Managers office; Gareth Ainsworth joined the Buckinghamshire club as a player towards the end of his playing career. Despite only playing for four more years, he amassed 118-appearances in all competitions, before stepping into the dugout in 2012 (initially as Player / Manager). With two promotions on his CV its surprising he stayed with Wycombe for as long as he did... In February he moved to Queens Park Rangers, the end of an era for the second longest serving Manager in the EFL at the time.

In his place is Matt Broomfield, another with Wycombe connections having played over 400-times for the Chairboys - Broomfield took his first steps into Management back in September, being appointed the Colchester Manager, but has returned home... Looking to continue the work set by his predessor - After a stuttering start to the season; Wycombe have gone from mid-table obscurity to Play-Off challengers (proof how things can quickly change at this level). Wycombe lost just the one game in 2023 (winning the other seven) under Ainsworth, they've just two wins in six (three defeats) since he left.

Wycombe are still just four points from the Play-Offs, but their form appears to be stuttering at the worst time.

Charlton Team News
Well we've lost Lucas Ness for the rest of the season, hopefully it is just for this campaign and we'll see him back fit and ready to go over pre-season - Joining him in being absent this weekend are Jojo Wollacott, and Terrell Thomas who'll be linking up with Ghana and Saint Lucia respectfully for Internationals. Whilst the absence of Jojo isnt the worst case in the world (not since the emergence of Ashley Maynard-Brewer), the latter could be a miss; Thomas has slotted comfortably at Left-Back in recent weeks, however we could see Steven Sessegnon back having been an used substitute at Cambridge last week.

Elsewhere and Miles Leaburn was replaced after 45mins last Saturday... Dean Holden has said it was as a precaution, yet it could be a simple case of replacing one Academy Starlet for another, Daniel Kanu the obvious replacement, having been selected ahead of Macauley Bonne has his replacement in that game.

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Hector - Inniss - Sessegnon
Morgan - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Kanu - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Egbo - Kilkenny - Henry - Payne - Bonne - Leaburn

Comments

• Options
    Let’s hope that Leaburn can play some part tomorrow, especially against a big, very physical side like Wycombe who like to bully teams. Sessegnon is a big plus, provided he can last the 90 plus minutes.
  • Options
    I think if Leaburn isn't fit to start, Bonne will play with Kanu replacing him when he starts to blow. Hopefully Sess's knee plays ball this week, otherwise, it will be Clare at left back and Egbo on the right. The bench looks quite frail...

0-1.
  • Options
    This will be a tougher but better test on how much we have improved
    after our last two good wins we should have built up some confidence in our game expecting a tough but good win for us
    Going for 2-1 to the mighty CAFC
    Come On You Reds  B)
  • Options
    4-0 Charlton
  • Options
    5-0 Charlton 

Hector, Inniss, Fraser x2, Leaburn
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    A good test for us. We have been putting in snippets of great performances of late and the next step is doing it over the 90 minutes. And at home as they have largely been away.
  • Options
    Think it will be a draw this. 

1-1 with Fraser scoring ours. 
  • Options
    DK to open his account and then go on a U18/21 like spree with another 5  senior goals before the end of the season.
  • Options
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/bring-friend-wycombe-fixture-free

Anybody fancy providing a sole ranger a ticket? Will donate to the Club bar and £10 to Upbeats.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I see this as a good opportunity to build on the last two results. 

I don't however see it as must win game, we aren't leaving this way ^ or v so :neutral:

Another 2-1 win and time to start rotating in players that Holden wants to keep.
  • Options
    Agree with @KingKinsella - Wycombe are one of those teams (see also Tranmere, Oldham, Accrington). I can't see it ending well for Ainsworth at QPR if he does the same there. 

• Options
    COYR 
  • Options
    Is it just me who finds it odd that Clayden (gone) and Chinn (loan) have been off-loaded when there is such limited cover in defence?
  • Options
    How’s the pitch holding up with all this rain? 
  • Options
    Another addicks victory and we all dream of what could have been..... If we hadn't been shit for the best part of the season x
  • Options
    Good draw tomorrow .. Wycombe have to win so at least they will come and play 
  • Options
    I can"t say, so will go for a home win in the hope we finish well after another bang average to total pony season in Division 3.  We always have a defensive cick up in us, so...

2-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I think if Leaburn isn't fit to start, Bonne will play with Kanu replacing him when he starts to blow. Hopefully Sess's knee plays ball this week, otherwise, it will be Clare at left back and Egbo on the right. The bench looks quite frail...

0-1.
    Kanu to play 85 minutes then ?
  • Options
    Wycombe are the ultimate masters of the dark arts of L1 sxxxhousery!! Can we cope? They seem inconsistent like most teams outside the top 6. Maybe 1-1.
  • Options
    If anyone has a copy of the offside rules, can they send a copy to Bonne 🤗
  • Options
    Surprised Mitchell seems to have gone out of the reckoning, given our lack of other centre-backs - I thought he did well in the few games he played earlier in the season.
  • Options
    sm said:
    Surprised Mitchell seems to have gone out of the reckoning, given our lack of other centre-backs - I thought he did well in the few games he played earlier in the season.
    I thought  Zach was in tomorrow's squad .
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    If anyone has a copy of the offside rules, can they send a copy to Bonne 🤗
    It's easy, you sit on the ground and wave your arms in the air.
  • Options
    Our own little family derby, don't want to lose but expecting a tough match, 1-1.
  • Options
    2-1 
  • Options
    Fancy a home win to keep our Mathematical chances of making the playoffs alive