Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2023-24: Top 5 Players To Keep And Top 5 You Want To Jettison?

Leaving out those who want to get rid of everyone...... in a more realistic world it will be less than that. If you owned the club who are the 5 players you most want to keep and the 5 you most want to move on? Why?

Comments

• Options
    We need rid of way more than five but in the spirit of what is a decent question, I would jettison:

1.  Bonne - Shadow of the player he was before and he was utter shyte then!
    2.  Kirk -  Waster.  One trick pony. And it’s not much of a trick. 
    3.  DJ - It’s not gonna happen for him now. 
    4.  Aneke -  it’s a crying shame but he should never have been brought back and best for both sides to draw a line under things now (he may not see it that way of course given his contract but we are now in a fitness for purpose scenario and need to deal with it). 
    5.  I can’t decide between Payne (flatters to deceive) and Inness (accident waiting to happen and we now have the possibility of Hector and the emergence of Ness). Can I be cheeky  and have both please?

The “keep list is a bit easier. I’d keep Dobbo, Ness, AMB, Jojo (if he’s prepared to be back up) and Egbo (if he’s fit) and Leaburn but I genuinely wouldn’t be bothered about losing any of them if we got a decent offer. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Keep
    1. Dobson - heart beat of the team.

2. Leaburn - our only decent striker. Will play at a higher level. Could be worth a LOT of money in 2 years.

3. Ness - decent, good potential. Young.

4. AMB - could go on to big things.

5. Fraser - I love watching him play, classy.

6. Egbo - looked a real talent in his few games and seems a good character.  (I know you said 5 but these 6 are probably the only ones I am bothered by).

Release/Don't renew etc
    1. Bonne - was crap before, even worse now.  Non scoring striker who brings absolutely nothing except going offside.  Stealing a living.  So bad the kids are now getting in ahead of him. 

2. Penny - not up to it from what I have seen to date.

3. Payne - L2 is his level.

4. Kirk - his nickname "Kirk the Shirk" says it all.  always disliked players not prepared to give it their all.

5. Lavelle - L2 is his level.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Of those with contracts next season :-
    Ditch - Aneke, Kirk, DJ, Payne & Lavelle.

Keep - Dobson, Leaburn, Fraser, AMB & Ness

Of those whose contracts expire I would offer contracts to:-

Hector, Innis, Claire & Kane 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Egbo, Dobbo, Ness, Hector, Leaburn (+AMB)

Kirk, Bonne, Lavelle, Chuks, Penny
  • Options
    Keep - Leaburn,Ness,AMB,Egbo,Dobson

Go - Bonne ,Aneke ,DJ , Lavelle, Morgan 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Keep - AMB, Egbo, Dobson, Frazer, Leaburn
    Go - Bonne, DJ, Kirk, Lavelle, sadly Chuks  ( very good striker for league 1 but made of glass ).
  • Options
    Better question. Which of our current players are good enough for a top two finish?

Perhaps the keepers. We need wholesale change.
  • Options
    Keep under any scenario: Leaburn

Get rid, jog on, jettison under any senario: Kirk, Lavelle, DJ.

Everything else is dependent on other things IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The return of Bonne wasn’t greeted with much celebration but I thought he might chip in with 5 or 6 goals before the end of the season.
    I clearly set the bar far too high and would take anything.
  • Options
    I think 5 is too low given the rebuild needed.  I’m not a fan of pretty much most the squad to be honest, but if I had to make a considered, realistic post I’d say the team should look a bit like this next season 

GK: AMB plus one other as I think Wollacott will go in the summer
    RB: Egbo plus one other
    LB: two needed, way too early for Chin to be considered one of those
    CB: Ness, possibly Hector plus 2 more 
    CM: Dobson plus the 1 or 2 more depending on formations etc
    Creative midfielder: Fraser gets this purely on the fact he’s under contract although I think he needs to offer a lot more. This occasional bit of skill, often against the lesser teams is not going to get out this league
    Winger; CBT - he’s got an extension, but if we’re serious about promotion he needs to be a squad player, not a starter 
    CF: Leaburn plus others

The rest do need to leave now.  I appreciate some, like Aneke, Kirk and DJ are all under contract, but if you believe any of them have a future, come on.  I include Clare in that.  Been okay for us, but it’s not worked out.  Fresh start for them and us would be a good result all round

Can someone like Mitchell step up, I don’t know.  Would Campbell get in the starting XI, or be a good squad player, again, hard to say.

by my reckoning that’s 

AMB

Egbo/? Hector/? Ness/? ??

?? Dobson Fraser/?

?? Leaburn CBT/?

The only 4 I see as starters are AMB, Egbo, Dobson and Leaburn 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I think 5 is too low given the rebuild needed.  I’m not a fan of pretty much most the squad to be honest, but if I had to make a considered, realistic post I’d say the team should look a bit like this next season 

GK: AMB plus one other as I think Wollacott will go in the summer
    RB: Egbo plus one other
    LB: two needed, way too early for Chin to be considered one of those
    CB: Ness, possibly Hector plus 2 more 
    CM: Dobson plus the 1 or 2 more depending on formations etc
    Creative midfielder: Fraser gets this purely on the fact he’s under contract although I think he needs to offer a lot more. This occasional bit of skill, often against the lesser teams is not going to get out this league
    Winger; CBT - he’s got an extension, but if we’re serious about promotion he needs to be a squad player, not a starter 
    CF: Leaburn plus others

The rest do need to leave now.  I appreciate some, like Aneke, Kirk and DJ are all under contract, but if you believe any of them have a future, come on.  I include Clare in that.  Been okay for us, but it’s not worked out.  Fresh start for them and us would be a good result all round

Can someone like Mitchell step up, I don’t know.  Would Campbell get in the starting XI, or be a good squad player, again, hard to say.

by my reckoning that’s 

AMB

Egbo/? Hector/? Ness/? ??

?? Dobson Fraser/?

?? Leaburn CBT/?

The only 4 I see as starters are AMB, Egbo, Dobson and Leaburn 
    Chin is normally a Right-Back mate... There is absolutely no way going that he should be put at Left-Back again.

Goalkeepers I think we're fine, even with Harness as a Number two - Egbo worries me, because he seems very injury prone
  • Options
    Leave...

1. Inniss
    2. Morgan
    3. Jayasimi
    4. Bonne
    5. Kirk and his conjoined twin Lavelle

Keep...

1. Dobbo
    2. Leaburn
    3. Ness
    4. AMB
    5. Hector

You'd probably keep Fraser, Clare and Egbo and Jojo as squad players but none would missed. Clearly we are stuck with Chuks.
  • Options
    People are very harsh on Payne. I don't know what they were expecting but he's never had a consistent starting place, partially because we don't play to his strengths, but he's still our highest assist-maker overall this season, and taking out the cup assists against weak teams he's still our second highest assist-maker, level with Fraser and ahead of Morgan and CBT despite playing far fewer games. Payne has only started 10 league games, got two assists in the games he's started and two from the bench, including one where he was only on for 3 minutes. Two of his assists have got us a point and one was for the only goal in the game. He's also 6th in the goalscoring charts. For the amount he's actually played that is surprisingly good, definitely not the return for a squad player that merits getting rid off urgently.
    I don't think we'll ever properly play to his strengths but he's versatile and has one year left on his deal so is a decent squad option to have around for another season. He's exactly the kind of player a Bowyer or Powell team would love to have as a backup player with better players ahead of him.
    For me the ones to go would be the ones who are out of contract and not good enough. Clare, Morgan and Bonne are the first ones that pop up. I'd keep Inniss as he's cheap and a good player. If we can get him on similar terms again it's a good signing. After that Lavelle can't even get into Burton's squad and it's over for Charlie Kirk so that would be my five. I want us to keep AMB, Ness, Leaburn, Dobson and Fraser most.
  • Options
    Focused on those that have a Contract next season 

Keep:
     - Dobson: Decent Captain, leaves it all on the pitch
     - AMB, Ness, Leaburn: Will go further than us
     - Fraser: Very good on his day

Let go
     - Bonne: Shadow of the player a few years ago
     - Inniss: Simply because of his anger management
     - Payne: Not impressed, really disappointed
     - Aneke: Too injury prone
     - Wollacott: Too good to be a Number Two
    How has Inniss' 'anger management' affected us this season? His two legitimate red cards...one was as the result of a desperate attempt to score a last-minute winner and the other was a dubious last-man side-to-side challenge. He hasn't been sent off for violent play once this season. Perceptions eh? 
  • Options
    I know it's not really in the spirit of the thread but I genuinely wouldn't care if we sold/released any of them. Theres a real lack of affinity i feel with the entire team for a good few years now. 

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Keep: Hector, Sessegnon, Fraser, Ness, Leaburn 
    Get rid: the ones who need to leave probably will leave tbh
  • Options
    Keep : Dobson, Sess, Leaburn, Ness and Egbo
    Get rid : Kirk, Chuks, Lavelle, Bonne and DJ
  • Options
    Keep Leaburn Dobson Ness Egbo Fraser

Let go Laville Bonne DJ Kirk Payne

undecided Innis Hector (keep if possible) Clare Morgan Kane
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Keep:

AMB
    Leaburn
    Dobson
    Ness
    Campbell

Would love to keep Sessegnon and Rak-Sakyi obviously. 

Go:

Aneke
    Bonne
    Penney
    Innis
    Payne 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Focused on those that have a Contract next season 

Keep:
     - Dobson: Decent Captain, leaves it all on the pitch
     - AMB, Ness, Leaburn: Will go further than us
     - Fraser: Very good on his day

Let go
     - Bonne: Shadow of the player a few years ago
     - Inniss: Simply because of his anger management
     - Payne: Not impressed, really disappointed
     - Aneke: Too injury prone
     - Wollacott: Too good to be a Number Two
    How has Inniss' 'anger management' affected us this season? His two legitimate red cards...one was as the result of a desperate attempt to score a last-minute winner and the other was a dubious last-man side-to-side challenge. He hasn't been sent off for violent play once this season. Perceptions eh? 
    In the time he's spent with us he's played just over a full season (59-games) and has been sent off four times... He's got a terrible discipinary record, which makes him unreliable.

At the time of writing was thinking about our permanent players going into next season, so was a toss up between him | Egbo | Clare | CBT, all four have reasons for letting go.

Of course now reading other comments on this thread, I've been kindly reminded that Kirk | Lavelle | DJ | McGrandles could be back next season (Weeks of therapy have gone down the drain, trying to forget them), so would get rid of three of those, jury still out on McGrandles, over Inniss
  • Options
    Far as I read there’s no mention of CBT. He’d be in my first team or bench.
    Top five. Leaburn,Dobo, Ness, AMB, and CBT just pips Fraser for me.

Try Manage exit of. Chuks, Lavelle, Kirk, Bonne and DJ.
  • Options
    Keep: AMB, Egbo, Ness, Dobson, Leaburn
    Release: Woolacott, Lavelle, Kirk, DJ, Bonne

Of the others, I’d keep Fraser, Hector, Clare, Campbell & CBT. Indifferent on the rest of those senior players who have been in the squad, but inclined to release them all.  Perhaps with the exceptions of Inniss (if Holden can keep his mad moments to a minimum) & Aneke (can we even afford to pay off a £7k per week salary with 2 years to run). 
  • Options
    Five to keep 
    Dobson 
    Holden 
    Carl, Tracey and Miles Leaburn 

Five to get rid of 
    Burger Boy (five times, in case he decides to try and come back) 
  • Options
    Wouldn’t put Inniss on a Go list. There are way worse than him in the squad. If you’re up against strong, physical strikers you need someone like him to look after them. And his downsides have been greatly exaggerated. 👍
  • Options
    Keep: AMB, Dobson, Leaburn, Egbo, Ness

Shift: All those out on loan for reasons other than  they're U21s getting experience, Bonne, Morgan, Penney, Chuks, Kilkenny

And if I'm allowed a bonus three, Payne, Inniss and Thomas, and send Chin, Henry and Kanu off on loan where they belong.

Never going to happen, but I'd keep Sessegnon and Rak-Sakyi. Fraser, CBT, Hector and Clare would also survive the purge, but wouldn't break my heart to lose them. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Keep from the squad this season: 

Leaburn
    Dobson
    Ness
    Sessegnon
    Rek-Sakyi

The loan players would be #1 and #2 because they've been far and away the two best players we've had this season. Would be impossible to keep them though I imagine. 

Get rid (ignoring out on loan): 

Bonne
    Payne
    Aneke
    Thomas
    Morgan

The 'out on loans' are a given that they shouldn't be here next season. 
  • Options
    Keep:

AMB
    Hector
    Ness
    Dobson
    Leaburn

Yeet:
    Lavelle
    Kirk
    Jaiyesimi
    Wollacott
    Aneke

I believe players signed until the summer will naturally be off, like Bonne and Thomas.

• Options
    If we actually had 3 decent proper first team striking options I’d be happy with Aneke as a 4th choice. Won’t happen though