Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Pizza Cup?

Papa Johns will end sponsorship of EFL Trophy, with US-based pizza company opting not to renew £1m-a-season deal and league officials searching for new backer

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11886353/Papa-Johns-NOT-renew-sponsorship-EFL-Trophy.html

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the memories Papa Johns
  • Options
    I still I still refer to it as the JPT! 
  • Options
    In the world of community rugby, the RFU stopped the league season on 11 March. That’s totally unheard of. It always used to be that clubs played up until Easter and then went on tour. This season they have introduced a cup competition which is sponsored by … Papa Johns 🍕. Guess what, no one is interested. Clubs are pulling out en-masse. There’s a theme emerging here 🤔
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Chance for good old Thomas there, always wanted " a slice of the action", can see it now... The Sandgaard Cup....thing is, we would probably go and win the bloody thing and have him present it to us...😂
  • Options
    I don’t understand Hawaiiiiiiiiiiiii (an) they are stopping
  • Options
    This sponsorship will take some topping. 
    Best pizza gag so far.
  • Options
    I’m sure another sponsor will fancy a pizza the action. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another one bites the crust
  • Options
    Shame. It appealed to a wide base... I guess someone else will have to raise the dough.
  • Options
    Hopefully no new sponsorship will come forward and this abomination of a competition will die the quick death it deserves. If I owned the club I'd take pleasure in playing the youth team, taking the fine, getting knocked out as quickly as possible and publicly announcing that the club would expunge all reference to the games from its records. 
  • Options
    What a blow.
  • Options
    Back to being called the Football League Trophy then 
  • Options
    I'm disappointed they quit their sponsorship after only three years, as I expected them to stay for quattro stagioni.
  • Options
    Surprised they paid £1m a year for it. It would hardly increase their profile, guess it's pennies for a company their size.

Pepperoni. 
  • Options
    Hopefully with a slice of good fortune we won't enter it next year 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The competition provides a good half way house in order to play fringe players and youngsters.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The competition provides a good half way house in order to play fringe players and youngsters.
    I don’t get it
    It’s a chance to give youngsters a slice of the action.
  • Options
    The best they can do is turn it back into a straight knock out competition. Im baffled how its survived this long with clubs getting 3 figure attendances in the group stages. The Wembley final must subsidise literally the entire rest of the competition. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    The best they can do is turn it back into a straight knock out competition. Im baffled how its survived this long with clubs getting 3 figure attendances in the group stages. The Wembley final must subsidise literally the entire rest of the competition. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if most clubs lost money hosting trophy games. A Wembley final and £1m annual sponsorship isn't going to stretch that far.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Will always be the LDV Vans
  • Options
    Where's the dough gonna come from now?!?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

To me it will always be the Sherpa Van Trophy.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2xqT80uxIw
  • Options
    ^Whoever put this on the internet has misspelt it!