Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oldest companies...

edited March 2023 in Not Sports Related
Charlton's next big anniversary is the 125th in 2030.  But, what's the oldest company you're a customer of, or have worked with or for?  

Zildjian is 400 years old and owned by the fourteenth generation of the family that set it up in the seventeenth century. 

Are there any other well-known companies that have been going a long, long time?

Comments

• Options
    My law firm dates back 200 years and my wife used to work for the Royal Society which dates back 360 years to 1660. All fairly impressive I think
  • Options
    Quiet night?, not much on telly?
  • Options
    P&O go back some way.

Originally the Peninsula & Oriental Steam Company. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    P&O go back some way.

Originally the Peninsula & Oriental Steam Company. 
    P&O cruises is now owned by Carnival and the ferry company by Dubai Ports World.

Shepherd Neame however can trace the brewery back to 1698
    Bushmills distillery in Northern Ireland dates back to 1608

UK registered limited companies only date back to 1844 and the oldest continuously registered company  is reputedly the Ashford Cattle Market Company Limited.

Some businesses established by the Crown go back  further, such as the Royal Mint which was founded in 886.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    The province of Canada I live in (Alberta) was confederated into Canada in the same year as Charlton were founded, so not many really old companies here. However, I do occasionally shop at The Bay which is the retail arm of the modern iteration of The Hudson's Bay Company and dates back to 1670, making it North America's longest continually operating company.
  • Options
    Shepherd Neame would have to be one of the oldest. A lot of pubs and hotels that claim to be older, but mostly they can't prove they've been operating the whole time and some of them are clearly making stuff up.

I think Cambridge University Press might be the oldest company in the UK whose history doesn't involve massive cheating. They claim to date to 1584.
  • Options
    We use a solicitors which are in the Guinness world records for being the oldest firm of solicitors in the world, being recorded in 1570 they are now known as Thomas, Snell and Passmore with offices in Dartford and Tunbridge Wells, there history is here https://www.ts-p.co.uk/about-us/history
  • Options
    Guinness 1759
    Charlton (1984) Ltd 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Just learnt via this thread that the Company I work for currently, was founded in 1905, must have been a good year.

Sainsburys are the oldest that I worked for 1869
  • Options
    The Whitechapel Bell foundry closed in 2017 after 450 years of bell making - 250 years in Whitechapel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitechapel_Bell_Foundry
  • Options
    The Royal Mint was founded in 886 AD
  • Options
    Worked in a Shepherd Neame in my younger years. Founded in 1698. 
  • Options
    What an interesting topic! It seems the Ashford Cattle Market Company Ltd is the oldest extant registered limited company in England and Wales.  It was incorporated on 25 September 1856.  It's company number is an impressive 0000018. 

My old employer,  the Governor and Company of the Bank of England was founded in 1694. I got completely rat-faced on their rather nice champagne (twice) celebrating their tercentenary in the Garden Court.
  • Options
    I used to work at Dartford Grammar School and I always thought it was amazing that it was founded in 1576, making it 200 years older than the USA.
    Was you a teacher @CharltonMadrid
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I used to work at Dartford Grammar School and I always thought it was amazing that it was founded in 1576, making it 200 years older than the USA.

I think @Redmidland was the first head boy.

(beat you to it, Ray)
  • Options
    I worked for Extel, who were founded in 1872. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:

I think @Redmidland was the first head boy.

(beat you to it, Ray)
    B@st@rd @Bo@bobmunro ;) Write your own material

Pathe news exclusive.
    @Redmidland first football match photos released 😉

• Options
    edited March 2023
    What years were you there mate?  What did you do?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm surprised so few people have mentioned Shepherd Neame
  • Options
    Barclay's started in 1690
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Worked for Barclays for 36 years.  

They claim to go back to 1690, but that could be said to be very Palace-like in their interpretation of their history.  The first Barclay only joined the firm 43 years later with James Barclay marrying one of the founder member’s daughters, Sarah Freeme. Rather awkwardly, James’s father had married Sarah Freeme’s eldest sister 10 years earlier, so his sister (in-law) was also his mother…another Palace connection possibly??  🤷🏻‍♂️ 😉

Next time I go into my local branch, I'll have to sing the Addams family song...
  • Options
    Crikey. That is some commute you had to do there 😱
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I'm surprised so few people have mentioned Shepherd Neame
    They do rather go on about how old they are. Then again, if I was running Shepherd Neame, I'd probably be keen to talk about the age of the company rather than talking about the beer.

Anyway, it turns out the oldest company I've ever worked for is WH Smith, founded in 1792 if I can believe Wikipedia.
  • Options
    The bank I work for was formed in 1692 - it’s the 8th oldest bank in the world - I’ve worked there over 36 years, straight from school aged 16 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    I hope he wasn’t your English teacher @MrOneLung 😉
    Got to give a double lol for this. Lol!