Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Subsidence- help please!

Our house has started to develop some cracks internally (nothing visable externally). Some minor looking, which we had just thought cosmetic. 
We are now finding 'new' cracks almost daily and some - specifically in corners or by door frames are looking a little more than cosmetic. 

I have been quoted anywhere between £500 - £1200 for a structural survey.  A friend recommended telling my insurers immediately as 'they will often arrange a survey FOC, to help protect themselves'

I guess my question is, should I 'go private' and only tell insurers if/when there is something i need to tell them, or just crack on and tell them my concerns. Will this be a red flag to them (regardless of outcome) when it comes to renewal?

Thanks all.

Awaiting @DaveMehmet and his comment about having a house full of cracks

Comments

• Options
    Underpinning is expensive and you would be well served to have a look, proper look at the words in your insurance policy as shockingly home insurance providers will welch on anything if they can. 

Don't do it privately unless you have a lot of money lying round waiting to be spunked on some very strong men to work rods underneath your dwelling 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    @Rob7Lee has worked in insurance for a considerable time & will probably be well placed to advise you. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks @Carter .
    I had meant from a survey point of view.

Any necessary works I would look to get covered by insurers, i was just wondering whether I should inform them now and get them to carry out the survey
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I am in no way involved myself within the insurance business but I think you are best to advise them as soon as you notice any potential problem, as they can if needed inspect and certify any remedial work before the problem, if there is one escalates, may be in the small print and worth a read, just the way I would deal with this if it was me...

• Options
    Had a problem couple of houses ago, Danson Park area well known for underground streams and plenty of subsidence.

Got a builder mate to look, he was convinced subsidence and told me to ring insurance company without formal survey, which I did.

They sent their own assessor who reported that his opinion was that we needed underpinning. Insurers appointed a builder who carried out the work and we were able to claim new double glazing and a redecoration of two rooms.

very professionally done all round.
  • Options
    Are you in a part of the country that has had problems with subsidence, even as locally as within a few streets of you? 

Are the cracks generally at an angle, or vertical/horizontal?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Chizz said:
    Are you in a part of the country that has had problems with subsidence, even as locally as within a few streets of you? 

Are the cracks generally at an angle, or vertical/horizontal?
    Nothing has come up in searches as it being a common local issue.

Cracks generally seem to be in the joins of wall / wall in corners, and wall/ceiling,  along bases of cornices.   Some that worry me do run up through doorframes and seemingly continue up wall.
  • Options
    New build?
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    New build?
    Victorian
  • Options
    I would inform insurers straight away if it were me. I would not change insurers at renewal to maintain cover. Monitoring of the cracks needs to take place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Rob7Lee has worked in insurance for a considerable time & will probably be well placed to advise you. Good luck.
    Tell your buildings insurers immediately, they will arrange for a survey. There's clearly an issue and the quicker you move the better as to establishing the cause and remedy. 

Where abouts in the country do you live, first parts of the postcode will be helpful.

It's unusual for cracks to 'start' to develop this time of year, cracks generally will be due to movement of different parts of the building which 99% of the time will be down to clay shrinkage and more summer months, but there are other causes such as heave (the opposite, clay expanding).

Any other issues, any drainage problems? Any recent tree removals nearby? All at one end off the house or throughout?

It's very rare these days for a property to be underpinned, which was the norm 25 years ago. Generally now it's about establishing the cause and dealing with that.

If this is all totally new it could well be heave caused by too much water in the clay, this would generally be due to leaking drains or large tree/s being removed (that previously sucked up a lot of water).

Pictures would be helpful......

• Options
    Thank you @Rob7Lee.

We are in TN14. No drainage issues that we are aware of, and the only change in shrubbery is a small/medium fir tree of the neighbours dying. Nothing significant enough (I'd have thought) for heave.

Will forward some pics tomorrow, if you wouldn't mind, as they are on other phone.
  • Options
    Thank you @Rob7Lee.

We are in TN14. No drainage issues that we are aware of, and the only change in shrubbery is a small/medium fir tree of the neighbours dying. Nothing significant enough (I'd have thought) for heave.

Will forward some pics tomorrow, if you wouldn't mind, as they are on other phone.
    Sure, message me if you'd rather. TN14 is predominantly clay.

Send me the pics and details of the house layout and where the damage is.

It's just very unusual this time of year. How close was the fir tree and approximately how tall? Assume it's been removed?
  • Options
    Is the fir tree a cypress by any chance?
  • Options
    I know a bit, have some background in dealing with subsidence ( i cant be specific) however i would suggest getting your own builder out first, if its only cosmetic cracking its likely it could just be general cracking which would not be covered. 

If you have any potential leaks, or trees near the property and damage then call your insurance and they will look into it. 

I would advise ask a local builder/ friend first as you don't really want to initiate a subsidence claim if at present it only appears general cracking.
  • Options
    I know a bit, have some background in dealing with subsidence ( i cant be specific) however i would suggest getting your own builder out first, if its only cosmetic cracking its likely it could just be general cracking which would not be covered. 

If you have any potential leaks, or trees near the property and damage then call your insurance and they will look into it. 

I would advise ask a local builder/ friend first as you don't really want to initiate a subsidence claim if at present it only appears general cracking.
    Are builders qualified or even insured to diagnose the cause of cracking? 

I would contact the insurance company and get them to deal with it and send out a surveyor
  • Options
    A thread that doesn’t want someone to post.

Sink
  • Options

Are builders qualified or even insured to diagnose the cause of cracking? 

I would contact the insurance company and get them to deal with it and send out a surveyor
    Builders have enough experience to whether it could be subsidence, they would know the general signs. Its just another way rather than getting a surveyor out, i wouldn't get them to look much more than if its general cracking or not and instantly they would be able to say it could be, in that instance contact Insurance. 

Its preference really, if you call up the insurance company they might over the phone suggest its general cracking in which case you are no further forward and they won't send someone out.
  • Options
    @To_Be_Franck ..No doubt all the suggestions have helped 🤔...or maybe not and just added to the problem, hopefully you are sorted as to the next step..✅
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

‘general cracking’ what is that exactly!?! And what causes it?
  • Options
    I've noticed a lot more fine cracks in internal plaster this year in my old house, and have assumed it might relate to extreme hot, dry weather over the summer followed by a very wet spell. It's a terrace but no trees of any size within 20m. 
    In any case I will be toshing over the fine cracks with surface filler as I redecorate, ensuring I've got plenty of paint left over to touch in again if they need refilling before I put it on the market.
  • Options
    Thanks all for your insights.

Like @johnnybev1987 says above, I am a little apprehensive about informing insurers before I know it is, or is likely subsidence. 

Will get some pics of my crack (    :wink:   ) over to @Rob7Lee and get his opinion.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    A thread that doesn’t want someone to post.

Sink
    Hope you are not taking the michael out of my sinking house :sweat_smile:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Rob7Lee said:

‘general cracking’ what is that exactly!?! And what causes it?
    This is a question we get a lot, basically it could be age of the property or just a design issue. General cracking isn't covered under insurance, hence why i said if there is not enough signs which would warrant insurers sending out their own supplier they will just ask for photos and then likely dismiss. 

I could probably go on with examples, eg. lintel failure which again would not be covered. However if there is any potential insured peril : Subsidence, leak, Accidental damage, but the general rule is general cracking won't be covered. 

The biggest issue with reporting it to your insurer, is likely whether there is a claim or not it will flag up a potential subsidence issue, which down the line might create a problem when re-insuring. In most cases they will just note it, however once subsidence is attached to a house its going to be a hard thing to get insured/ sell the property (although in the event of a sell they can transfer it across, but we are getting away from the subject) 

Defo see what Rob7 says, or feel free to DM anything specific. 
  • Options
    In my experience most insurers have a compulsory excess of £1,000 plus for subsidence claims so probably best to arrange your own survey as you will end up paying for it anyway via the excess if you do have to make a subsidence claim
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    In my experience most insurers have a compulsory excess of £1,000 plus for subsidence claims so probably best to arrange your own survey as you will end up paying for it anyway via the excess if you do have to make a subsidence claim
    You are correct, although i would say if its potential subsidence not to go solo, firstly it will cost a lot and will take years on average just to confirm the property stability, 

I would also say, it's not going to be worth appointing a surveyor. That alone will cost a bit rather than get your average builder to just look and confirm likely cause, if its subsidence they will send someone out even just to confirm the damage. If its less than the excess for the repairs then there is no claim anyway, so ideally do contact your insurer, however my first call would be to send photos to someone or get a friend/ local builder out for their comments. 
  • Options

I would second that.