Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

University of the third age (U3A)

I’m on the cusp of retirement, my wife has just retired. We are both looking for some social life after working for over 50 years each and ending up without any friends locally. Seen this organisation being mentioned a fair bit and we were wondering if any of you have any comments or feedback on them. We are in Dartford which seems to have an active group set up. Think the name is actually a bit off putting as it reminds me of a hippy ‘60’s cult😀.

Comments

• My father in law (who lives in east London) does this, and loves it. He is in a film group where people get to watch then discuss a film of their choice. He absolutely loves it, so if there are subjects you are interested in I'd absolutely go for it. 
  • Thanks, sounds encouraging, we are thinking of giving it a go.
  • I did some partnership work with them a few years back in T Wells area. Appeared to be a good & social group. 
  • My mum does Italian lessons through it and loves it. She has a new circle of friends thanks to that so I would say go for it..she's in her mid70s btw
  • My Mum did it for quite a while and really enjoyed it. Also in the Dartford area.
  • highly recommended from both my parents - not entirely sure what but near Dartford
  • Cheers everyone, think we will, I’m 70 wife 69 both at home now, so need something for us both to do so we get some peace from each other 😀.
  • Not quite the same, but this looks worth checking out.

https://greenwich-peninsula-chess-club.ueniweb.com/
  • My in-laws love it
  • Done a travel presentation to a Norfolk group.
    They seemed a very good lot of folk.
  • Sponsored links:

• My aunt goes in Tonbridge and loves it.

You may be a bit 'young' but I'm a trustee here which does a number of social events through the year;

https://www.oddfellows.co.uk/branch-finder/?id=2521
  • Tends to be quite a few widows……..but nevertheless a decent enough mixed crowd.
    The walking groups are great…..Sunday lunch group is one I like, we go to some fabulous pubs for those, indoor bowls, bridge group, gardening group and plenty of trips out to historic sites, gardens and the like, also have some interesting speakers once a month too.
    I thoroughly recommend it, especially to people who find themselves feeling a bit lonely.
    Only £10.00 to join and £1.00 fee for every monthly meeting.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    My aunt goes in Tonbridge and loves it.

You may be a bit 'young' but I'm a trustee here which does a number of social events through the year;

https://www.oddfellows.co.uk/branch-finder/?id=2521
    Thanks for the suggestion. I know Dartford has a branch, will have a look.
    Tends to be quite a few widows……..but nevertheless a decent enough mixed crowd.
    The walking groups are great…..Sunday lunch group is one I like, we go to some fabulous pubs for those, indoor bowls, bridge group, gardening group and plenty of trips out to historic sites, gardens and the like, also have some interesting speakers once a month too.
    I thoroughly recommend it, especially to people who find themselves feeling a bit lonely.
    Only £10.00 to join and £1.00 fee for every monthly meeting.
    Sounds good, funny we were talking about the walking and dining club as they should be social and get us out and about.

All seems very positive, we have decided to go to the coffee morning on Thursday to see what it all about. Thanks all for your contributions, been a bit of a surprise really retirement, probably shouldn’t have retired in the depth of winter and hung on until spring or summer, when there’s so much other stuff to do, other than sit indoors looking at each other.