Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morecambe v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 14 March 2023 - 19:45 | Match Preview, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    th0rryy said:
    I spent most of pre season, alongside @Rothko (RIP), fighting the Cole Stockton opinion tide. Statistically he had a hot season last year, but in the performances against us I saw nothing from him that put him above any of the other decent league one strikers we had come against - and seemingly he appears to have reverted back to the mean.

So it stands to reason that we will gift him some goals tomorrow.
    I don't mind saying I was a strong advocate for bringing him in, but we absolutely would have paid a hefty premium given his goals last season. His performance vs. us at home last season was one where I tried to keep my eyes on him more and his hold-up play and movement was infinitely better than Stockley. He was also put his chance away and generally looked a threat. There may well have been other better options, but he would undeniably be better than every striker bar Leaburn. You also add in the fact that, in theory, he'd be able to play every game if he stayed fit. I suspect his weaker early goal return was due to sulking about not leaving in the summer, and everyone got a bit pissed off with him about that.

It's all completely irrelevant now, since TS was never going to spend the money. However, I'd have still rather have had him over any of Stockley, Aneke or Bonne. He probably would have been Charltonised pretty quickly, but I feel he would have been good for close to 10 goals over the season and played the solo striker role better than anyone else we had.
    How many goals had Stockton scored compared to Aneke, Bonne & Stockley. 

Just to remind you, those 3 combined have scored precisely THREE in the league. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    th0rryy said:
    I spent most of pre season, alongside @Rothko (RIP), fighting the Cole Stockton opinion tide. Statistically he had a hot season last year, but in the performances against us I saw nothing from him that put him above any of the other decent league one strikers we had come against - and seemingly he appears to have reverted back to the mean.

I don't mind saying I was a strong advocate for bringing him in, but we absolutely would have paid a hefty premium given his goals last season. His performance vs. us at home last season was one where I tried to keep my eyes on him more and his hold-up play and movement was infinitely better than Stockley. He was also put his chance away and generally looked a threat. There may well have been other better options, but he would undeniably be better than every striker bar Leaburn. You also add in the fact that, in theory, he'd be able to play every game if he stayed fit. I suspect his weaker early goal return was due to sulking about not leaving in the summer, and everyone got a bit pissed off with him about that.

It's all completely irrelevant now, since TS was never going to spend the money. However, I'd have still rather have had him over any of Stockley, Aneke or Bonne. He probably would have been Charltonised pretty quickly, but I feel he would have been good for close to 10 goals over the season and played the solo striker role better than anyone else we had.
    I think he definitely would’ve been better than Stockley in the role that would’ve been deployed. Stockton can hold the ball and has movement, Stockley does neither. So I don’t think that would’ve been difficult.

Stockton has played more than enough minutes this season to have a better return than he does. I think last season was a one hit wonder and he’s returned back to the status quo.

It’s Alfie May that I would have liked to have signed in the summer instead, and he’s done okay again for Cheltenham this season. Think he could do a job for us next season.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    th0rryy said:

I think he definitely would’ve been better than Stockley in the role that would’ve been deployed. Stockton can hold the ball and has movement, Stockley does neither. So I don’t think that would’ve been difficult.

Stockton has played more than enough minutes this season to have a better return than he does. I think last season was a one hit wonder and he’s returned back to the status quo.

It’s Alfie May that I would have liked to have signed in the summer instead, and he’s done okay again for Cheltenham this season. Think he could do a job for us next season.

We'll be shopping in the £1 section this summer.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    th0rryy said:

His second goal in the same game was a cracker as well 
  • Options
    Morecambe away is never easy and we have nothing to play for . 2-1 away win .
  • Options
    Can we stop playing now? 
    Please, no more for a while. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    13 games and counting without a goal, none this year , from a Charlton striker 
    Will tonight be the night when our hotshots get firing and we can claim could do a job for us next season .
    Yes from the bench at best 
    We’ll not lose tonight 1-1 or 1-2 victory Rak Sakyi with the goal(s) for us 

• Options
    If Ness has been sent for a scan, surprised you have him in the lineup.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Take our decent loanees (Sess and Rak-Saki for the avoidance of doubt!) out of this side and assuming that Ness won’t make it we are relegation fodder. It wouldn’t surprise me even with the afore-mentioned trio playing that Morecambe do us over. Last year’s wonder boy Stockton might just find his form against us. Thank goodness we didn’t sign him as we’d have been thinking we’d Charltonized him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seems Morecombe have signed Niasse who must have been out of contract. His history includes Everton and Hull but its pretty mundane in terms of appearances and goals. However he did sign for Burton 21-22 and got 3 in 12 but was let go at the end of the season. (all from wiki). He got his first 15-20 mins at the end of the Shrewsbury game on Sat.
  • Options
    You have those games where you would struggle to give away a free ticket to the game, I’m ten levels below that.  I’m gonna struggle to get up the enthusiasm to even change the channel to SSN to see the latest score.
    I often feel like that, especially after performances like the one against Accrington.  But (and i think I might be mentally unbalanced) I'm still looking forward to the Morecambe game and will pay my tenner to watch tonight..!  Must be a masochist.
  • Options
    It’s currently snowing in Lancaster, non settling so far though 
  • Options
    Dread watching this behind the sofa again. It's sounds so defeatest to say I'll take a point just to nudge a bit nearer to safety but this is what it's come down too.
    I'm just hoping for the fans going there that they get a victory and I'm going for a 1-0 win from Dobbo to celebrate after his baby being born the other day. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    News about the scan came after my preview.

As a result, Inniss comes in for Ness with Thomas on the bench.
  • Options
    Referee tonight is Andy Haines.

Interestingly, he last officiated us against Morecambe, away, last season in our 2-2 draw.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    mendonca said:

Ah cool, wasn't sure you knew something we didn't ;-)

Mmmmh, a CB partnership of Innis and Hector worries me. Neither has a trait that seems to help with the the other's weakness.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Sage said:
    mendonca said:

Mmmmh, a CB partnership of Innis and Hector worries me. Neither has a trait that seems to help with the the other's weakness.
    I may be wrong and Thomas might start. However, if Inniss has recovered enough from his op, for me he has to start ahead of Thomas.
  • Options
    thomas in defence scares the life out of me everytime he is on the pitch!
  • Options
    Our current crop of superstars won't let us down,0-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best defender missing & shit shot shy strikers.

2-0 and MORE pain to COME 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oh yay another game!
    Charlton are the modern version of Sisyphus.

He's constantly trying to push the rock up the hill for eternity. 

We're doomed to watch Charlton play drab games in turn. 
    Phew, thought you said syphilis for a moment there.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    mendonca said:
    Sage said:
    mendonca said:

I may be wrong and Thomas might start. However, if Inniss has recovered enough from his op, for me he has to start ahead of Thomas.
    Oh Lord no, not Thomas starting.

The last 20 minutes he and Hector played on Saturday was absolute comedy gold. 

I'm not sure my sides will take another 90 minutes of these two slicing clearances, falling over and generally looking like they hadn't kicked a football for months before joining us. Which of course they hadn't.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Sage said:
    mendonca said:

Inniss and Hector remind me of the Chuckle Brothers (RIP, Barry) but without being funny - just comedic defending. Thomas is even worse. Ness is our only reliable central defender. He will be sorely missed and I will be amazed if we keep a clean sheet without him.
  • Options
    Inniss gets a bit too much stick on here imho, and I think Hector hasn't played enough games to be dismissed as comedic.
    How many minutes has Thomas played? I can't form an opinion about him as have only seen one game early on - where he looked rusty, and his appearance against Ipswich where at least he scored. 
    Having said that, I can't see us getting anything out of this, and Ness's absence won't help.
    I still believe that it's our midfield that is the biggest contributor to our malaise. The don't help in the attacking third, and other than Dobbo they don't help the defence. 
    I guess I'll shell out to watch the match, but only reluctantly. I predicted the 1-1 v. Accrington (very unusual I get these right) but I'm going for a 2-0 loss tonight. But I thought Kanu looked lively, and if he plays I'll go for 2-1.
  • Options
    For once we've got this. Sneaky 1-0 as we embark on a run-in that has us thinking what might have been and setting a platform for next season.
  • Options
    Would hope that the Leaburn/Kanu combo gets some game time as an attacking force- unlike Saturday when Daniel came on (plus Morgan) and we failed to muster an attack for 10 minutes, at which point Miles was subbed for Bonne (deep joy). Morgan at least adds some forward impetus, if not always accuracy. Innis is a known liability, Hector getting that way too- too many touches in risky areas Saturday. Thomas? Not sure. Came on as sub for U-21s last week at full-back, not really convincing. It's going to be a long night, even watching from the comfort of SE9!
  • Options
    Grim 2-0 defelat.
  • Options
    A must win game, though even more so a must not lose game. Lose tonight, and Morecambe close the gap to us to 6 points. 

Accrington and Burton also play tonight, though neither can overtake us in the table...
  • Options
    0-2 without a doubt. Have no idea who will score but we are coming back with a win and 3 points.
    For crying out loud it’s only bloody Morecambe. Nice little ground and pleasant enough in Lancaster for overnight stay.