Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Accrington Stanley | Saturday 11th March 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Accrington Stanley
Saturday 11th March 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Drysdale

Introduction
It feels an age ago now when the Addicks lined up at the Crown Ground to commence a new League One campaign - It was a season which started full of hope, but with little expectation, a 2-2 draw was played out with the Addicks snatching a draw from the jaws of victory, Miles Leaburn the one major positive from a location that has always resulted in drab performances - Charlton host an Accrington side this Saturday with both sides desperate for the three points... For us... Well dont want to be dragged back into the faint possibilities of relegation battle!!

The Opposition
Name: Accrington Stanley (20th) | Manager: John Coleman
Ground: Crown Ground
Previous Result: Ipswich Town 3-0 Accrington Stanley

This is Accrington's fourth campaign in League One since their promotion from the fourth tier back in 2017-18, and its been testament to John Coleman that they've never really been in a relegation battle until now. Last season they would even finish a place and two points ahead of a Charlton side who have been lucklustre and disappointing at this level - However finding a constant replacement for the likes of Dion Charles and Colbey Bishop appears to have become too challenging a task for the Lancashire side, the latter scored 15-goals in all competitions last term... Tommy Leigh (signed in 2021 from Bognor Regis Town) their top scorer this term, has just seven goals to his name.

Of course much of Accrington's style on the pitch is all about getting the best out of their squad  - As mentioned with Tommy Leigh, they're a team that cant compete with the Ipswich's etc. of the League so have to find their talent elsewhere - Often signings come from Non-League Football, or the options are plentiful with many a Premier League Academy on their doorstep. So we cant ever expect to see Stanley playing a pleasing eye of Football akin to Ben Garner's style (not this coming Saturday anyway) - In terms of form... Well Accrington have lost just the once against Charlton, a last minute Karlan Grant penalty, and come into this game having drawn their last three away from home - Yet our opponents do come into this game without first choice Goalkeeper: Lukas Jensen, the shot stopper was sent off in the dying embers of a 3-0 defeat at Ipswich last Saturday, and will miss this coming fixture, despite Stanley filing an appeal for wrongful dismissal.

Charlton Team News
The big question this Saturday is well... Where are the goals coming from?

Our last four games have been against impressive opponents... Derby | Sheff Wed | Peterborough | Plymouth, they all have eyes on a grander prize this season, so our run of form hasnt been too surprising - Yet our weaknesses in front of goal have been highlighted in those games, chances were created, and chances were not taken - Last Saturday saw our issues in front of goal stretch to seven hours (?) - Of course we equally need to stop being so charitable in front of goal, three of our last four goals against have been handed to opponents on a plate, and must stop.

In terms of playing options, and Manny Egbo stepped up his recovery with an U21s display last week, we may have to wait a little longer to see the Right-Back in and amongst the First Team - Elsewhere we saw once again the possibilities of a good partnership between Miles Leaburn and Daniel Kanu at Plymouth last Saturday - It was with those two, that a Striker last scored a goal for the Addicks, coming on Boxing Day against Peterborough, with the two Academy prospects linking well.

Maynard-Brewer
Hector - Inniss - Ness
Clare - Dobson - Kilkenny - Sessegnon
Rak-Sakyi
Kanu - Leaburn

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Penney - Morgan - Henry - Payne - Bonne - Blackett-Taylor

Comments

• Options
    Both teams turn up looking for a reaction. 1-1
  • Options
    Great preview.
    As to the game. Meh
  • Options
    if this weather stays put I can see a record low league attendance tomorrow (actual bums on seats)

probably a score draw
  • Options
    Bonne to come  on and not score on 80 minutes. One all draw.
  • Options
    Good preview.  Couldn't give a monkey's about the game.  Leave Bonne out of the squad altogether for his sake and ours.
  • Options
    As we get to business end of the season, Charlton Athletic resemble the business i flushed this morning.  I think even this shower of shit might win this one, famous last words.

1-0 to The Addicks
  • Options
    Surely, with three first choice players out and them not exactly flying anyway, we cannot fail to win.

Well of course we can, but I think we probably won't 

2-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We’re a mid-table team, which means we’ll win every now and then, tomorrow will be one of those days. 2-1 to Charlton. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    I know it’s a minor thing, but I still hate our websites URL. 
  • Options
    As we get to business end of the season, Charlton Athletic resemble the business i flushed this morning.  I think even this shower of shit might win this one, famous last words.

1-0 to The Addicks
    More like the business end of the "comical" pantomime horse ! 
  • Options
    Hopefully no more 3 at the back. We don’t have the centre backs for it that are comfortable defending out wide. Doesn’t suit Rak-Sakyi either and he is usually our only chance of doing anything going forward. Would love to see 

AMB
    Clare Ness Hector Sessegnon 
    JRS Dobson Fraser CBT
           Leaburn Kanu 
  • Options
    Great preview as stated, we pose no threat the way he is playing with Bonne as the lone striker, he is clearly out of his depth now and confidence very low.

We need too pose some attacking threat and intent, They will be their usual dirty self and we musnt go a goal down otherwise they will play every trick in the book.

Holden has to get them up for this.

2-1 to Charlton.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    I really hope we don't persist with 3 at the back - it leads to indecision, rarely works for us and Stanley may well play with only one man up top. I'd like to see Morgan or Henry in for Kilkenny, as the latter hasn't impressed and almost certainly won't be here next season. The same applies to Bonne, so Leaburn and Kanu up top is a must. If nothing else, it will add some much needed interest.

Stanley will be without their top scorer, Tommy Leigh, and their main man, Sean McConville, through suspension - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64877347

There'll never be a better chance to take 3 points against a side who usually give us trouble and have won on their last two visits. Our team owe us a win and I think they'll manage it on Saturday after a gritty and unedifying 90 odd minutes, embellished with some shithouserry of the highest order.
    Leigh has served his three game suspension, but McConville and goalkeeper Jensen are suspended.
    I want to see Rak-Sakyi wide in some sort of formation
  • Options
    Same ref as for Posh at home, where I checked what I said which was "not inept but one sided". We can't score, they're exactly the sort of shithouse northern team we struggle against. Why am I going? I expect us to lose 1-0. 

I really hope we play 2 up top and JRS is on the wing. Why can't something be good for once?

I know... at least I should by now.  

• Options
    The result of this game probably won't affect our fate - we are likely to finish mid-table whatever happens - but to boost morale we could really do with a good performance and a good result. Hopefully Dean's trip to Woolwich will inspire the team to a decent performance. I think we may finally see a Charlton goal, but will we get the required good performance? Who knows with this squad? However, I am hopeful and think we are well overdue a good performance, so expecting a 3-1 win over the mighty Accrington Stanley, whoever they are!
  • Options
    Hope we score first to ease any jitters
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    We have one rubbish striker and one semi fit. Our main playmaker, Fraser, is not fit and our wingers are misfiring.
    Situation excellent, 5-0 
  • Options
     Nasty team .. they bend the rules but we have  a crap ref in charge so likey to get away with it again … 

when teams go on non scoring run when that breaks it’s normally 4/5 …. say it again 352 not 3421 … start with Leaburn and Kanu or will be brave and go back to basics 442 ??? 
  • Options
    Boys football match moved to tomorrow from Sunday so have give this one a miss

Reckon I might see more quality from an under 8 match than I will watching Bonne 

0-1 to our bogey side 
  • Options
    My 13 year old nephew (on his way home from a school trip) saw the Accrington team at a service station and said to a player they’ll lose tomorrow and the player responded with a “probably” 😂

1-1 it is then 
  • Options
    They score early.

We huff and puff for the rest of the 1st half, 17 shots off target, none on.

2nd half we come out all guns blazing…,,

0-1 FT.
  • Options
    Kanu and leaburn have to start up front. 
  • Options
    3-1 to the Addicks
  • Options
    Crikes....Accrington have beaten us in the last two games at the Valley?