Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tifo Football Video Re Charlton & Les Reed

Always like this channel on YouTube. The linked video is about Les Reed's short tenure at CAFC. Did not see anyone else mention this video, put up one week ago, so apologies if it is a repeat. It has 185,000 views. Enjoy. Or not, depending on one's memories.

Comments

• Options
    Time plays havoc with my memory, I am shocked to discover we actually won a game with him in charge. I don't remember that at all.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Time plays havoc with my memory, I am shocked to discover we actually won a game with him in charge. I don't remember that at all.
    El Kakouri late free kick against Blackburn.
  • Options
    Great, now I feel really depressed. We have been a fiasco club for so long it's just cruel. Hiring a crap manager to replace our long-serving miracle worker just to piss off Simon Jordan, the writ at his unveiling. giving him two Prem seasons' worth of transfer budget to buy nonsense to start off all our money woes and then the ridiculous Reed choice. Everything followed on from here, Pardew failing in a spectacular downward direction, Parkinson being brought in as a caretaker, losing everything and still getting the job, Miguel Llera, rich Powell, penniless Powell, Roland and the smooth descent into what might literally be hell. I do think through no fault of his own Curbs left at a time when there really wasn't an obvious candidate to replace him, but we still got that decision so impossibly wrong that it's basically killed the entire club. I was 16 years old when our relegation was confirmed, so almost exactly half my life has been this bullshit. Actually, that settles it, I've died, gone to hell and I'm finally getting what I deserve, it's the only explanation.
    Great post, and I certainly won't be watching that video.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    The season where 20 minutes into the first home game, I turned to my late Father and said ‘we are gonna get relegated this season’…….
  • Options
    20 seconds after I heard Curbs was leaving I knew it was the end of us …

• Options
    Great, now I feel really depressed. We have been a fiasco club for so long it's just cruel. Hiring a crap manager to replace our long-serving miracle worker just to piss off Simon Jordan, the writ at his unveiling. giving him two Prem seasons' worth of transfer budget to buy nonsense to start off all our money woes and then the ridiculous Reed choice. Everything followed on from here, Pardew failing in a spectacular downward direction, Parkinson being brought in as a caretaker, losing everything and still getting the job, Miguel Llera, rich Powell, penniless Powell, Roland and the smooth descent into what might literally be hell. I do think through no fault of his own Curbs left at a time when there really wasn't an obvious candidate to replace him, but we still got that decision so impossibly wrong that it's basically killed the entire club. I was 16 years old when our relegation was confirmed, so almost exactly half my life has been this bullshit. Actually, that settles it, I've died, gone to hell and I'm finally getting what I deserve, it's the only explanation.
    And we know what’s coming. League 2 for us, Prem for Millwall and European football for Palace. Fans arguing whether things would have been better had we not protested against RD.
  • Options
    I knew someone who's son was in the U18's when Reed was coaching them. Said he was the best coach they'd seen and that was backed up by his efforts with the FA and England.

Like today, it's the players that are the problem. If Les Reed had the players Curbs had in 2003/4 then he'd had been ok. 
  • Options
    It's funny, I follow a few football documentary channels on YT that do the 'decline of <insert club name here>' type content and we seem to have passed nearly all of them by. Until this video of course. 
  • Options
    Darren Bent's dad talked a lot at the time and he said the majority of players liked Dowie and weren't happy with his sacking and were not keen on Reed taking over cos he stuck the knife in on Dowie 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I knew someone who's son was in the U18's when Reed was coaching them. Said he was the best coach they'd seen and that was backed up by his efforts with the FA and England.

Like today, it's the players that are the problem. If Les Reed had the players Curbs had in 2003/4 then he'd had been ok. 
    Not sure he was ever cut out to be a manager, but I've heard similar about his coaching, think it was Steven Gerrard some years back who said he was the best coach he'd ever worked with. By all accounts a really nice guy, I remember after he left in an interview saying 'right club, wrong time'.
  • Options
    Our demise can be firmly laid at Richard Murray's door. Curbs told him he planned to leave the following season, but rather than use that 12 months to make sure he made the right appointment (or even better, convince curbs to stay), Murray istead suggested that Curbs left at the end of the season and then to rub salt in the wound, decided to appoint "The ugly one" and give him a war chest the size curbs had never seen, only to watch him spunk it away on knackered pit ponies.

Cheers Dick
    Agreeed, also the tv rights money was jumping up after the end of the 06/07 season. I never agreed with the reasoning that players wouldn't come if they knew Curbs was leaving, as him being there vs him not being there at all, you would argue you would attract a better player, certainly when compared against Dowie
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    And we know what’s coming. League 2 for us, Prem for Millwall and European football for Palace. Fans arguing whether things would have been better had we not protested against RD.
    Ugh. The other thing that weighs on my mind is there is actually a Charlton side that I don't hate, and that's the women's side. What are the odds that Sandgaard decides to stop funding that properly too and we lose all the momentum we have there? Further hell evidence.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Not sure he was ever cut out to be a manager, but I've heard similar about his coaching, think it was Steven Gerrard some years back who said he was the best coach he'd ever worked with. By all accounts a really nice guy, I remember after he left in an interview saying 'right club, wrong time'.
    More right club wrong role. Thrown to the wolves by Murray who should have had a succession plan for Curbs before telling him that if he would not sign an extension he should leave.

As said Reed was a brilliant coach (and strategist) but not right to be manager. A perfect No. 2 (As manager he was a different kind of No. 2)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Gerrard didn’t like Reed.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2006/dec/15/newsstory.liverpool

The Charlton head coach made clear his admiration for Gerrard yesterday, perhaps not realising that the midfielder had lambasted him in his autobiography. "Steven Gerrard came into the senior England squad for the first time when I was working with Kevin Keegan," Reed said. "I've got his Euro 2000 shirt framed on my wall saying: 'Best wishes, Steven Gerrard.'"

But according to the recently published Gerrard: My Autobiography, the feeling is far from mutual. "To this day, I have no respect for Reed or [fellow coach Derek] Fazackerley," wrote Gerrard. "I was a young lad who had never been away from home to play football before. They didn't seem to understand that not everyone can board a plane, settle in a strange hotel far from the family they love, and find it easy.

"In fact they made me feel like shit. My homesickness worsened whenever I was forced to be in their company. I felt they could have shown more care and sympathy. They were always pushing me, always telling me to buck up my ideas."

• Options
    Reed's been working behind the scenes at Wrexham for a couple of years now.
  • Options
    Reed's been working behind the scenes at Wrexham for a couple of years now.

There are more than a few examples of bad managers who turn out to be good behind the scenes. Les is one. You won't believe who I think also shows signs of being fairly good at the latter while not so good at the former.... Karl Robinson. He is the one who brought on Boyer and made a few nice additions to the squad that eventually got promoted. He also showed a good eye at other clubs. He just does not know what to do with the talent once he has it.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Looked this up on Wiki.... it seems CAFC have had 35 full-time managers since the club was founded. 15% of which have happened solely under TS's reign. He has been here 2% of the club's history but has employed 15% of the all the manager's in its history. :D
  • Options
    Darren Bent's dad talked a lot at the time and he said the majority of players liked Dowie and weren't happy with his sacking and were not keen on Reed taking over cos he stuck the knife in on Dowie 
    Multiple people said similar. 

Holland (I *think*) was asked outright by a fan if the players respected Reed, he replied with 'No comment'. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember his announcement in the west stand.
    Far too happy with the team and not a stand out manager.
    Said that night it wouldn’t work.
    Too much one of the team than the manager, if that makes sense?