Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 4th March 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off | Match Preview

Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 4th March 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Davies

Introduction
Our last three games have perhaps been against a tougher scale of opposition in terms of the quality in League One, so in some ways its maybe understandable that we've not only struggled in front of goal, yet have also struggled to record more than a single point - Its a reflection that this squad was going to achieve nothing more than mid-table at best, however recent results may once again cause some fans to glance over our shoulders for a brief period again - It doesnt get any easier this Saturday, the Addicks travel to high flying Plymouth, regardless of how well we've done against teams in the South of England this season.

The Opposition
Name: Plymouth Argyle (2nd) | Manager: Steven Schumacher
Ground: Home Park
Previous League Result: Peterborough United 5-2 Plymouth Argyle

Last season of course ended in disappointment for the Pilgrims, the 2021/22 season saw Plymouth in the top six for all but 13-games, dropping out of the Play-Offs after a disastrous defeat on the last day of the season, losing 5-0 at the hands of visiting Milton Keynes with their own promotion aspirations last term - This season and Plymouth supporters wont be hoping for a similar outcome, they've been in the automatic spots for all but the first nine games of the season, only Ipswich appear a threat at present, and they sit five points behind... Plymouth may have missed out on the Play-Offs last term, but could go even one better this!!

But things are never that straightforward in Football... 2023 has been a tough year already for Plymouth... They lost top scorer after his loan deal was cut short by Swansea City, and then in February they lost Goalkeeper: Michael Cooper to an ACL - A sign of their struggles is the fact they've only won twice since that game, and shipped five goals in their last outing, for just the second time this season (Well I imagine most sides wont want to do it more than once a year in fairness!!) - With the Addicks travelling from London this Saturday, Plymouth face a side who have become a bit of an thorn in recent years, and have only won two League encounters (both coming at Home Park) in this fixture since 2008.

Less said about that 0-6 loss the better around Devon!!

Charlton Team News
The positive news of late is that Mandela Egbo is slowly regaining match fitness, and is appearing for the U21s at this time of writing - Its his first outing since injury against Ipswich Town back in October, and will be a welcome return to the Defence between now and the end of the season - Elsewhere and Chuks Aneke has been ruled out for the season, leaving us once again short of Striker again; Daniel Kanu is the notable absense from the U21s this afternoon, so has no doubt travelled to the South West with the rest of the squad.

In terms of squad selection... Well I wouldn't expect too many changes from the last few games; Corey-Blackett-Taylor and Jes Rak-Sakyi will no doubt line up either side of Macauley Bonne in attack - The current back five (along with the Goalkeeper) speaks for itself... Yet once again the Midfield raises the question marks, with only the ever reliable George Dobson putting in the type of performances that leaves him undroppable.

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Hector - Inniss - Ness - Sessegnon
Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Bonne - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Penney - Henry - Morgan - Payne - Campbell - Leaburn

Comments

• Options
    Sess and Fraser have to prove their fitness today, according to DH
  • Options
    Rather see Kanu on bench rather than Penney, but only my thoughts 
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Sess and Fraser have to prove their fitness today, according to DH
    Might explain Fraser's dip in form lately.  AMB has done well but I'd still like to see Woolacott given another go - thought he commanded the box well (inspiring confidence) and had great, fast, distribution.  Would like to see Leaburn start and Kanu on the bench.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    When I was up in Glasgow for the cup final I was talking to some Plymouth true blues told them we would be coming down for our game against Plymouth & they said we would be more than welcome to go to 
  • Options
    An improving defensive record at the expense of any creativity near the opposition goal, so a another (?rare) clean sheet but can we score?
    After we play them I wish PA nothing but good fortune, I'd love them to go up.
  • Options
    Plymouth will score, I suspect we won't.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Yeah, whatever you think of Penny, the need is to have a defender on the bench to cover.  That's not the box ticked by Kanu though.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    ross1 said:
    Yeah, whatever you think of Penny, the need is to have a defender on the bench to cover.  That's not the box ticked by Kanu though.

We have five defenders, if we play with a back three, one of the two WBs could cover
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doff of the cap to our travellers! Bit to far for me after Peterboro, mid week. 
    Not bothered about the score, just the performance. 
    either PA by 2-3 goals or another 0-0. 
    Either way COYRs!!!
  • Options
    We should probably be soundly beaten, but for some reason I can't explain, I think we will get something from this. We may even win it. I fancy a scrappy 2-1 win for the Addicks.

That team looks about right, but I would start Leaburn if he is fit. Payne for Fraser if Fraser not fit. Bit of a worry if Sess not fit as Penney does not look like adequate cover. Kanu on the bench in place of one of the midfielders for me.
  • Options
    Can't see beyond a defeat to be honest. 
    Next week is the one we have to win.
  • Options
    Dreading it … Big defeat looming 
  • Options
    We are due a win. Building on the draw at Peterborough, I'm going for 1-2 to The Addicks.
  • Options
    I've lasted this long but I've sadly lost all interest in this season. As Sage said above we've got nothing to fight for. I'm completely fed up with the club atm so won't be watching this one, fair play to anyone that does.

3-1 defeat.
  • Options
    We have the hex over Plymouth. In recent years we have scored 5 & 6 goals against them. So.......

Comfortable 4-0 away win. 
  • Options
    Plymouth have been superb at home, but are having a mini wobble so maybe we have a chance of getting something out of the game

No midweek game next week, so I imagine Leaburn will start.

I'm not going down to Plymouth, and can't see myself watching on the stream either (I'll watch the repeat if we win 6-0!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Genuinely don’t care anymore. We won’t go down and clearly not a hope of even mounting a challenge for top 6. If the best we can aim for is 10th, I think I’ll need a break for a bit. Last season was worse than this, but 2 seasons in a row with everything else going on makes it extremely difficult.

Done my aways this season and huge credit to anyone making the long old trip down to Plymouth. Let’s hope the boys actually show a bit of heart, character, effort, desire, determination, dedication, spirit, skill, and quality to get the 3 points. Because to be honest, I’ve not seen anywhere near enough of any of those things over the last 2 seasons.
    You’ve always been one of the more considerate/diplomatic posters as well when it comes to the team.  Completely agree.  It’s really hard to motivate yourself to see anything positive with this lot.  Might be doing some of them a bit of disservice, but the cast of characters since we went down in 2020 have really sucked the life out of me.  It’s got to the point where I simply don’t like a lot of them and wished they would find other clubs 
  • Options
    Think we might nick this one.
  • Options
    Plymouth have been superb at home, but are having a mini wobble so maybe we have a chance of getting something out of the game

No midweek game next week, so I imagine Leaburn will start.

I'm not going down to Plymouth, and can't see myself watching on the stream either (I'll watch the repeat if we win 6-0!)
    If you're not going I'd be very surprised if you could see yourself watching on the stream 
  • Options
    Leaburn up top.Kanu on the bench please. I am hoping as always for a win. Plymouth strong at home but form lately suggests they are wobbling. 1-0 Rak Saki as long as he doesn't go around punching opposition 😂
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Understand why you say that but there is no defender on the bench in that suggested team. Therefore Penney, Mitchell or AN Other has to be there in my view in case there is a defensive injury.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Think we might nick this one.
    The only thing we'll nick is the Radox shower gel from the showers...

1-0
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    3-0. Reality bites. We aren't good enough for 1-0.
  • Options
    Well the pressure is all on Plymouth and I think Ipswich might just sneak 2nd place. Yet again we will huff and puff but if we can avoid conceding early we might just upset them, 1-1.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    No way will Plymouth score. 
    That’s all I know.