Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MLS 2023

MLS kicks off again this Saturday.

The format has never been so laughable. The number of teams that qualify for the playoffs has now been expanded to 9 from each conference. Teams will therefore play 34 games in the regular season to eliminate just 38% of the teams.

The first round of the playoffs has also introduced a 'best of 3' format like we see in other US sports.

We also have a new team this year (number 29). St Louis SC. Did they win the USL to achieve this position? Of course not. The MLS Cartel was bribed with a delicious $200m expansion fee.

Apple now have the exclusive rights to all the games which feels like a real backwards step to growing the game. I can't imagine many of the sports bars here are going to be paying out for Apple TV. It is also clear that Apple have demanded more games which has led to this ridiculous format.

Phil Neville (Inter Miami coach) recently got in trouble with his employers in a recent interview for suggesting that MLS was a micky mouse league for only announcing the league format 4 days before the season begins. Hard to disagree.

Comments

• edited September 2023
    In LA for work this week, so taking in LA Galaxy vs St Louis in a couple of hours. First MLS game live - interested in atmosphere and how the game plays out compared to UK standards. Suspect Champ to League 1 standard. My lad fancies their away shirt, so will see what the club shop is doing. 
  • They have an awful, slow chant of Ga-Lax-Eee that they start up
  • full on cocktail bar pre-getting to your seat. G&Ts pitch side - listen up CAFC!
  • This lot are as sh*t as us. Highlight of first half a home fan, yelling get off you suck! 🤣
  • 2-2 Billy fcuking Sharp 😯 came off the bench to equalise - pretty enjoyable overall and crowd were good - sang throughout 👏
  • MLS is back tonight.

Inter (Miami) vs Real (Salt Lake).

Just a cool $130 for tickets to see the world's oldest football team play worse football than Sutton United
  • I am definitely going to catch a couple of MLS games when on work trips and one holiday later in the year. Did love drinking G&Ts at my seat in LA last year and watching in the sun. Football is not the greatest, for sure, but definitely some names past their best on show and atmosphere was welcoming. 
  • MLS is back tonight.

Just a cool $130 for tickets to see the world's oldest football team play worse football than Sutton United
    Worse than Sutton Utd is a bit harsh. Reckon both teams would beat us and most of League One, at least.
  • MLS is back tonight.

Worse than Sutton Utd is a bit harsh. Reckon both teams would beat us and most of League One, at least.
    Exactly this

Hate the rep MLS gets 

Been watching it consistently for the past 10 years or so since BWP and the other Charlton boys joined NYRB and the difference in ability now from when I started watching is massive, you see people putting clips online of mistakes or something and saying typical shit MLS but mistakes happen in the prem week in week out doesn't make it shit, said before majority of MLS teams would fit somewhere between bottom of the Championship top of League 1, but is improving year on year so wouldn't be surprised if soon they are all Championship quality

Anyway looking forward to the season restarting at 1am over here, watched a few off the CONCACAF Champions Cup matches to get me ready over the past couple of weeks
  • Sponsored links:

• MLS is back tonight.

Think Messi could beat us by himself tbf
  • I am skeptical that the average MLS side would beat Portsmouth or Bolton. I generally don't have much time for MLS, especially how they deliberately suffocate every league in US soccer that isn't MLS. 

They're boycotting the US Open Cup (a competition over 100 years old) because they don't control it and don't make any money from it. They've cited fixture congestion being the prime issue, despite creating a new tournament called the 'Leagues Cup' last year. Pretty devastating to all the teams who aren't in MLS and morally wrong. 
  • I am skeptical that the average MLS side would beat Portsmouth or Bolton. I generally don't have much time for MLS, especially how they deliberately suffocate every league in US soccer that isn't MLS. 

They're boycotting the US Open Cup (a competition over 100 years old) because they don't control it and don't make any money from it. They've cited fixture congestion being the prime issue, despite creating a new tournament called the 'Leagues Cup' last year. Pretty devastating to all the teams who aren't in MLS and morally wrong. 
    No different to how the Prem tries to suffocate the rest of the EFL.

Most MLS sides would run rings around the top of League 1 now, every year they get more and more players in their prime instead of washed up has-beens, and the athleticism on show is immense even when the technical skill lacks. 
  • So if any of you are amateur referees it looks like you could get a short term gig in the MLS, as they will be using, due to industrial action, replacement referees.

I'm hoping that replacement referees will be referees drawn in from Ice Hockey and American Football just to add a bit of colour to the games. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/a-step-backwards-mls-players-union-criticizes-referee-lockout/ar-BB1iEI7e?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=e7c728eb8c8249cca1c5e3f361a20981&ei=18
  • I am definitely going to catch a couple of MLS games when on work trips and one holiday later in the year. Did love drinking G&Ts at my seat in LA last year and watching in the sun. Football is not the greatest, for sure, but definitely some names past their best on show and atmosphere was welcoming. 
    I went to see San Jose Earthquakes a couple of years ago when on a work trip to Palo Alto. They have an enormous bar behind one of the goals (no stand, just bar). I went on my own and got absolutely obliterated on 2 for 1 margaritas before spending a fortune a fortune in the club shop and heading off to see colleagues for more drinks. Woke up the next morning with no real recollection of how I got back to my hotel but with a bag full of Eathquakes tat. 

Oh, and I went to see Phoenix Rising too - dollar beer night! 
  • sam3110 said:
    I am skeptical that the average MLS side would beat Portsmouth or Bolton. I generally don't have much time for MLS, especially how they deliberately suffocate every league in US soccer that isn't MLS. 

No different to how the Prem tries to suffocate the rest of the EFL.

Most MLS sides would run rings around the top of League 1 now, every year they get more and more players in their prime instead of washed up has-beens, and the athleticism on show is immense even when the technical skill lacks. 
    Going to have to agree to disagree. Billy Sharp and Pukki went over there and looked like Ronaldo. And whilst they have some decent 'Designated Players', the rest of the squad are severely limited by the salary cap. I saw a fair bit of the Whitecaps last season (finished 6th) and they can't string more than 3 passes together.

And sure the Premier League bullies the EFL, but at least the FA has some power to tell them to F* off. The USA soccer federation gives in to every MLS demand.