Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley 1964

This popped up on my YouTube feed , not seen this before , 

https://youtu.be/WNkfU_chOLY

Comments

• edited February 2023
    even the media back then didn't care for us. 

• Blinding footage 
  • So glad we were treated to that footage of Woolwich Arsenal in action ;)  
  • It is from a documentary I believe commissioned by Woolwich Council. 
    Before the local government restructuring of tge time.
    Had great shots of Woolwich and its pubs
    and Eltham and the new housing estates.
    Also Crown Woods Comp for those of you here went there.
  • Interesting bit of film.
    The Queen mum was opening Coldharbour estate and as part of that visit she looked into a house at no. 10 Witherston Way. Next door to where I lived at no. 8. 
    I remember it well.
    The team Charlton were playing was Norwich city.
    The Queen mum was opening Coldharbour estate and as part of that visit she looked into a house at no. 10 Witherston Way. Next door to where I lived at no. 8. 
    I remember it well.
    The team Arsenal were playing was Norwich city.

• The full footage was shown on here a few weeks ago somewhere. 
    I remember it well.

Not in 1964 it wasn’t…. I was at that game age 7. Went every week with the my child minders husband and her son from the age of 5. 
  • edited February 2023
    I would have been there(The Valley that is)….…..aged 16.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2023
    My Dad first took me to The Valley in 1965.

But fascinating seeing all those fashions, cars and The Valley of my childhood come alive again.

And Charlton's white kit with red shoulder flashes.

• Wow, what memories.
    I lived at The knolle, Coldharbour estate & remember the Queen mum visiting  some years after we moved in.

I would have been at that game, started going with my dad in early 1962, those red shoulder flashes really looked good - I thought!
  • Full 43 minute film here

• Oggy Red said:

But fascinating seeing all those fashions, cars and The Valley of my childhood come alive again.

Best kit ever. IMHO.

• Oggy Red said:

Best kit ever. IMHO.

Noooo - we play in red and white - not white and red !!!

Best kit ever is FADS Adidas kit - home kit was lush - away (yellow and blue) was lush x lush 😃
  • Oggy Red said:

Best kit ever. IMHO.

Best kit ever is FADS Adidas kit - home kit was lush - away (yellow and blue) was lush x lush 😃
    At the time, the white strip with red shoulder flashes was very different and modern ..... it was the kit that my Charlton always wore when I first went to The Valley.

When you were a kid, you never forget your first impressions, do you?

• Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Best kit ever. IMHO.

At the time, the white strip with red shoulder flashes was very different and modern ..... it was the kit that my Charlton always wore when I first went to The Valley.

When you were a kid, you never forget your first impressions, do you?

Totally agree, albeit my first match was 1976, and I think it was the Bukta kit, which I wasn’t overly keen on - the first kit I loved was the Adidas FADS kit, and the OSCA kit after that was a beauty as well (and indeed the Adidas kit first couple of seasons in Div 1 under Lennie)
    I remember it well.

Not in 1964 it wasn’t…. I was at that game age 7. Went every week with the my child minders husband and her son from the age of 5. 
    I feel there's a bit of a woosh going on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

Me too, 25th September 1965, lost 2-0 to Huddersfield Town, somehow set the standard for so much that was to follow 😀 
  • LenGlover said:

That kit was second season for me @OggyRed but like you I loved those white shirts and red shoulder flashes.

Maybe they could be resurrected as an away kit.

From Charles Buchan's Soccer Gift Book 1966-67, a Christmas present every year.
  • I started supporting 1965-66 and while I remember the photos of the players in the shirt, I can't remember them actually wearing it. When I check my old scrap books we were wearing all red. The shirt according to team photos(Colin Cameron's Home and Away) was official for 1964/65 and 65/66, I don't think it was worn more than one season though.
  • 64/65 it had a collar , as worn by KP above. The following season it was a crew neck.
  • Stig said:
    Interesting bit of film.
    I remember it well.

I feel there's a bit of a woosh going on here.
    Wasn’t, sure, so I took the bait…… 
  • BobK said:
    I started supporting 1965-66 and while I remember the photos of the players in the shirt, I can't remember them actually wearing it. When I check my old scrap books we were wearing all red. The shirt according to team photos(Colin Cameron's Home and Away) was official for 1964/65 and 65/66, I don't think it was worn more than one season though.
    Same as me Bob, started 65/66 & have seen the photos but never seen the players wear the shirt apart from going past Bexley United (now Welling Uniteds ground) on the top deck of the bus & Charlton colts were playing Bexley United colts in a South East Counties League game & we were wearing the white with the red shoulder. No idea what year though but I think I had started going to the Valley then so they were probably wearing the first teams hand me downs.