Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

James Walker

http://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/home.asp?page_id=836

Former Charlton Apprentice James Walker, posting as some folks on here may remember him from the early 2000’s 

Comments

• Blimey, didnt he score a hat-trick against Millwall in a Pre-Season Friendly?
  • Blimey, didnt he score a hat-trick against Millwall in a Pre-Season Friendly?
    Think he scored once in the 4-1 friendly at the den in the run up to the Dowie/Reed/Pardew season.
  • Fair player.
  • Mr. Happy said:
    Blimey, didnt he score a hat-trick against Millwall in a Pre-Season Friendly?
    Think he scored once in the 4-1 friendly at the den in the run up to the Dowie/Reed/Pardew season.
    Looked quite a promising player at the time. I had no idea he’d had a cardiac arrest in 2019. Very sad. 
  • Such s shame - he was touted as the next big thing for us for a while.
    hope he gets all the help he can get and can get to spend some quality time with his kids
  • Really sad.He came from Walthamstow and went to my son's school. Ironically Fabrice Muamba ( who had a cardiac arrest on the pitch at White Hart Lane) was a contempary of his.

He really did have the Indian sign over the Spanners he also scored for both Cheltenham and Orient against them.
  • Remember him well, looked a real prospect in the U18's but didn't quite push on. I remember he had a heart problem at the time which was not serious enough to stop him playing.  Must be tough for his young family. Best wishes.
  •  28th May.
    There is a match to raise money for James Walker if anyone fancies going along, details on the link below.  There will be some ex Charlton lads there I believe including Myles Weston, Kevin Lisbie and Anthony Wordsworth.

https://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/suepa/a-match-for-james/

• Awful news that he's had such severe heart problems. 
  • Wishing him a full recovery and hope all bodes well for the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Some coincidence that this thread has come up as I saw a tweet earlier this afternoon from Bet365 about Scott Carson winning another league title with City and listing all his titles. They’d missed off his Player of the Year with us (😉) and I just googled to check the year. When Scott won that with us (2006-07) James was awarded the Young Player of the Year nominated by Mark Robson. 

I had no idea what had happened to him after he left us, but he seems to have made a good life for himself as a PE Teacher. Such a tragedy that the heart attack has left his in need of constant care. I hope the therapy can help him and his family and make his life a lot easier. 
  • Hard to know what to say there @Gary Poole. Your daughter, and by the sounds of it she isn’t the only one, is very lucky that you knew what you’re doing.  Fantastic that she made the recovery that she has and your message is absolutely spot on. We all should know basic CPR and be ready to use it. 
  • edited May 2023
    Wow, @Gary Poole that is quite a post. I am glad your daughter recovered, what a terrifying experience but your words on learning CPR are so important.

Separately, maybe a mod could change the title of the thread to "Fundraiser Match for James Walker, 28 May"

@cabbles @AFKABartram
  • edited May 2023
    Sorry to hear about James Walker and thanks @GarryPoole for sharing your personal story about your daughter and how important CPR can be.

About 17 years ago I went to watch Whyteleafe mens team v Charlton academy team of mainly the 18 age youth.
    From memory James Walker, Simon Walton, Myles Weston, a full back called Saunders and a young 16 year old called Scott Wagstaff played. Just the 5 player I can recall !
    Mark Kinsella was the Coach and after 0-0 draw where Charlton had so many shots off target the Whyteleafe coach said he would invoice Cafc for the lost balls ! Strange the things you remember after going to thousands of matches from Premier League to local League. 

James and Myles looked similar, same age, and both being forwards were difficult to tell apart.
    Walton was the eldest in the team that evening and was known as we paid big money for him.
    Had to check and Simon Walton is 37 and still playing at Havant and Waterlooville.

Both Simon Walton and James Walker never played a 1st team match for cafc and were journeyman footballers despite both playing for England teenage sides.
    James did later play for Antigua and Barbuda 

Life is so random and cruel that a young man like James who had found a new career as a PE teacher had a life changing illness.