Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jakub Jankto

Sparta Prague midfielder has released the following video 

Shame in 2023 players still feel the need to hide who they really are for so long, lets just hope he gets the full support of his club, the fans and the Czech FA now he has come out so openly

Comments

• Well done Jakub!
  • Honestly not sure what the general attitude is amongst Czechs towards homosexuality but hopefully he gets the support from his club and his team.

Brave move and much respect to him.
  • Swisdom said:
    Just like with the Blackpool player last season you would hope this is a watershed moment and others follow suit.

I really hope so

The women's game is full of players who are openly gay so the men should follow suit

Fair play to him
    Across women's sport, far more competitors are gay than in men's sport.

I'm glad he's been able to make this announcement, but I genuinely don't believe there are massive numbers of gay footballers "in the closet", as otherwise why not come out when you are retired, if you fear the reaction? 
  • thenewbie said:
    Honestly not sure what the general attitude is amongst Czechs towards homosexuality but hopefully he gets the support from his club and his team.

I was wondering that myself

Maybe @PragueAddick could tell us how this announcement has gone down over there and if Jakub will get the support from his club he should get
  • Great scrabble score 
  • Great scrabble score
    Are there two Js in Scrabble? I have a feeling you’ll know for sure.
  • very brave and a real shame that i have to say that it is brave. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable?
  • edited February 2023
    not even an hour and some one on this thread is dunking on an LGBTQ person

much work still to be done.
  • Fair play to him.
  • Brave guy, good for him.

Shouldn't be a tough decision in this day and age but it is, with all the stick he'll get from the minority of idiots out there.
  • thenewbie said:
    Honestly not sure what the general attitude is amongst Czechs towards homosexuality but hopefully he gets the support from his club and his team.

I was wondering that myself

Maybe @PragueAddick could tell us how this announcement has gone down over there and if Jakub will get the support from his club he should get
    Tells you something when I saw the thread title and my reaction was "WTF, surely we're not being linked to him", since I'd not picked up anything on my Twitter, which has some Czech accounts feeding it. 

Overall he's better off here than in any other CEE country. Czechs have always been socially liberal, even if the law still hasn't caught up. It's long considered itself to be a largely agnostic nation and the Church a minor reactionary irritant. Their cousins in Slovakia are very different in that regard.   Sparta have already issued a strongly supportive tweet, and the overall response has been overwhelmingly positive on there. It will be different on FB and among the terrace "ultras"  of opposing teams but that's football fans for you. 

That's positive news, thank you for the information. Obviously actions speak louder than words when it comes support etc but a good start at least.
  • Jakub Janko, is in a small minority in the men's games and bravo telling the football world. Crazy in 2023 that it's an issue at all.

Never appears to be an problem in the WSL where at some clubs there are more Gay players than straight. They are just female footballers with different sexual orientation.

In the wonderful world of showbusiness it's mixed between gay and straight performers and it's accepted as it should be. The Professional Panto my daughter was in during December had 6 out of the Seven male performers were gay. All the girls in the Panto were straight. The one straight guy was popular.

Doc, Happy, sneezy, Grumpy ! no it wasn't Snow White but Sleeping beauty, and even the Prince was gay.
  • Swisdom said:
    very brave and a real shame that i have to say that it is brave. 
    This is indeed brave.

People call Sam Smith brave for what it wore at the weekend but I have another word for that....and it begins with a c

Clown ? 
    Dressing up in musical performances is the norm for some performers:
    Elton John and Lady gaga have gone for it in the past. 
    What ever floats your boat, I personally prefer to listen to music and go to art galleries for visuals.

Now back to JJ...

• Swisdom said:
    very brave and a real shame that i have to say that it is brave. 
    This is indeed brave.

People call Sam Smith brave for what it wore at the weekend but I have another word for that....and it begins with a c
    Courageous?
  • Fair play to Ja Ja (there's only on JJ). Maybe I'm naive, but we keep getting told that Football is ultra macho and that it's not ready for openly gay players, but I think times have moved on so much. You'll always get some homophobic knuckle draggers is all walks of life, I think the silent majority these days don't really give two shits what someone else's sexuality is and I think that the majority of football players and fans won't care and I don't think abuse of discrimination will be tolerated in the way it was back in the days of Justin Fashanu. 

The authorities might still have a way to go on certain issues, but I think Football clubs, players, and fans absolutely are ready for more openly gay players. There's a handful about now and I haven't heard of much fuss about them other than when they first came out, so I hope that will be encouragement and this will start to snowball. I'm pretty sure there are probably more that are "out" to their teammates but haven't gone public about it. Hopefully within 5 to 10 years it'll be total non-issue because there are so many of openly gay players in the men's game that no one notices anymore.

• Sponsored links:

• What speaks volumes is there’s a thread on it - who cares. 
  • Fair play to Ja Ja (there's only on JJ). Maybe I'm naive, but we keep getting told that Football is ultra macho and that it's not ready for openly gay players, but I think times have moved on so much. You'll always get some homophobic knuckle draggers is all walks of life, I think the silent majority these days don't really give two shits what someone else's sexuality is and I think that the majority of football players and fans won't care and I don't think abuse of discrimination will be tolerated in the way it was back in the days of Justin Fashanu. 

The authorities might still have a way to go on certain issues, but I think Football clubs, players, and fans absolutely are ready for more openly gay players. There's a handful about now and I haven't heard of much fuss about them other than when they first came out, so I hope that will be encouragement and this will start to snowball. I'm pretty sure there are probably more that are "out" to their teammates but haven't gone public about it. Hopefully within 5 to 10 years it'll be total non-issue because there are so many of openly gay players in the men's game that no one notices anymore.

Exactly my take on it. Social media likes to announce this sort of stuff, but does anyone really give a shit?
  • Do people really need to hide their sexuality these days.

In the last 7 years I have had 3 female lesbians facility managers a gay project engineer. We have a guy who comes in one day in a dress, next day in a suit, but looks like a man when in a dress.

Recently 2 male engineers who are on hormones and changed Christian names, and no one bat's an eyelid.

My grand children accept difference in people so why the secrecy.

I am sure we all have gay, lesbian and trans friends as I do. 
  • edited February 2023
    Do people really need to hide their sexuality these days.

In the last 7 years I have had 3 female lesbians facility managers a gay project engineer. We have a guy who comes in one day in a dress, next day in a suit, but looks like a man when in a dress.

Recently 2 male engineers who are on hormones and changed Christian names, and no one bat's an eyelid.

In football yes they do. Statistically there’s gay footballers at most football clubs. The fact that none have come out says there’s a problem. Whether it’s if they’re able to come out or if they feel they’re unable to become professionals because of their sexuality - either way there’s a culture problem.
  • edited February 2023
    Do people really need to hide their sexuality these days.

It's really not that simple for many though especially people involved in certain sports. You, me and many others might not care about an individual's sexuality but, unfortunately, not every person in every society is able to live and work with that level of freedom. How many songs do we think will be sung by some supporters or abuse from fans once that knowledge comes into the public domain? Are Police going to wade in and arrest all of those that are doing so? Why risk coming out if you can quietly go about with your life? Why be that person to do so?

I know of one England cricketer who is gay. The lengths that he has to go through (including false stories about having been seen out with a "girlfriend" or "being close" to a female at a public event) is, frankly, ridiculous. But, sadly, he has to because there are certain countries and where he still wants to be able to ply his trade where it is not accepted or allowed to be gay. Should he risk his livelihood by coming out? There is a reason why Steven Davies is the only England player to do so - he only represented England here and in Australia and has never played franchise cricket, as far as I am aware, abroad. Why did many more not follow?

Among the ICC's Full Members, homosexuality is outlawed in Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe - though some of them criminalise only male homosexuality. Trinidad and Tobago is the only major West Indian country that permits female as well as male same-sex relations. Same-sex marriage is not recognised in India.

So, being gay is, marginally, more accepted for females in some of those countries but, even those close to individuals in that position aren't as willing to do so as we would think they should be. Take England's Katherine Brunt for example:

"My mum wouldn't accept it," Brunt remembers. "She told me I had a choice and she prayed a lot. She believes in God so much, and I guess I did too for quite a long time. When you believe like that, you believe in the sayings of what will happen to you and she was quite scared for me. I think she blamed it on herself, things to do with her parenting." As a result, Brunt says she has had to lose out on a lot of her relationship with her mother. "And she has lost out on a lot of following my life because she doesn't accept who I am, so it has been pretty crap for me since then." 

Until we get to walk in the shoes of that person, we really do not know what it is like to be gay and a professional in sport. It really isn't that easy, sometimes, to come out.